Forum Replies Created
From what is known to me the format will stay the same.
Back in the day KOOR ran foreign language programming for years without a legal ID. They played a jingle once in a while singing the stations slogan at the TOH but it had no mention of the actual legal ID. It amazes me how they got away with it. So good luck with that.
It’s simulcasting KXET.
I took the Integrated Media (focus on Radio) program at MHCC from 2009-2011 and I haven’t heard of KDOX. We had KMHC which was not a call sign, and I have no idea why the staff or the students from the year before us named the station with that name which to a newbie could be confusing since it was carried on KMHD-HD2. And if you ask me, MHCC does need its station back so that radio students can train properly and be ready to get a job when they are done! What we had back then (KMHC) nobody listened to it. And IMO the students didn’t look at it as the “real deal”. We could not motivate ourselves enough to put all of the sweat and effort into it. We knew that nobody was listening… And to all of those jazz fans, there is always Pandora.
My opinion on a few things:
1. MHCC is within their rights to do this, but this decision was made without input from you and the thousands of other KMHD members and listeners, and without a firm plan for the station’s future in place.”
Should MHCC really care about what the members (of OPB?) think about it? The college has a mission statement and all of its assets should be fully supporting its mission which in this case, the radio program students should have access to a real radio station to get all possible hands on experience that they need to be able to get a job when they are done with the program. And all other interests should come after.
2. This begs the question, what purpose is there for MHCC to have a radio station at all?
Just like I stated above, the college has IMO one of the best radio programs in the area. And how can you learn to drive if you don’t have a car? MHCC should also use it to promote its other programs and attract students.
3. Even if they did a total format change, students today don’t listen to radio, they stream online EVERYTHING. If it isn’t on Itunes it doesn’t exist. How will changing the format of a full power station with regional coverage make any difference to the students at MHCC?
No offence but if you knew radio strategies just a bit you would now, that nothing will ever replace LOCAL radio, i.e. news, weather, traffic, local events and etc. iTunes won’t tell you that.
4. Then … is bringing the station back to Gresham to train people for a career in broadcasting? Anyone in that place paying attention to the condition of the radio industry?
I think so. Mr. JD Kiggins the head of the radio program is one of the smartest radio people that I have ever met. He knows what he is doing!
5. Better to sell the license to OPB and let the jazz live on, and use the money to hold down tuition fees.
It sounds like you are involved with OPB 🙂
6. Something doesn’t make sense here. I wonder if MHCC wants to sell the license but they are not willing to reveal that fact at this point.
I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it!
7. Unfortunately, it seems that university stations have been in a state of attrition since about 2000-2005
Not quite right. Look back to 2012ish? And how PSU challenged KXRU in that legal battle for a time-share on 105.5
They made a big deal out of it on the air a couple years ago. Not sure what it does to their signal but to me its all the same.
Must be KPRT
Is it a common practice to place your transmitter ON the tower?
My understanding is once fully licensed there is another route to get them off the air just a much longer, and most likely more expensive approach.
I think they are missing some zeros in there I don’t believe this amount
KXRU got it from both sources. KOPB and KXL. Nothing on my cell phone. Xfinity is the provider.
Andy, would it be much difficult to map what would it look like if KUKN upgraded to C4 in relationship to KXRU?
Do we have a list of stations and translators that would be affected?
+1 @ Andy Brown.
How hard is it to write complete and legal PTD? Even if you don’t have an attorney, there is a ton of good ones around. Use them as a template!
Something tells me this is gonna drag for a loooong time.
KYTE moved back to the coast. Its an interference free channel again.