Your Biggest Surprise?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Langston
    Participant

This presidency is 9 months old. What is your biggest surprise so far? Mine: How dumb this guy is. Next to Trump, W looks like Socrates.

Andrew
    Participant

Biggest surprise? How little legislation Republicans have been able to pass – almost nothing so far.

Look like some sort of big tax cut for the wealthy is almost a sure thing now, but then I thought that about Obamacare repeal too. Still, repealing Obamacare would hurt millions of people; cutting taxes for the wealthy only means bigger deficits which don’t hurt people today, only their grandchildren. And bigger deficits give Republicans something else to blame on the next Democratic president.

semoochie
    Participant

Releasing the JFK assassination documents is really surprising. There was a Stephen Colbert bit with John Stewart where John was supposed to say something positive about the President and the best he could come up with was that Trump was not a cannibal! This might actually qualify.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

No big surprise at all. Many could see this train wreck coming.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I’m surprised it’s so much more of a trainwreck than the trainwreck I thought it would be. Dangerous and embarrassing.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“How dumb this guy is. “

Nah, his previous business track record seemed to indicate to me that he couldn’t see past his own overinflated ego.

“How little legislation Republicans have been able to pass – almost nothing so far.”

Nah. The fact that the GOP string pullers did not want drumpf as the nominee sort of foreshadowed that getting anything done was a long shot at best. The GOP has never really embraced drumpf and although they have done little to get rid of him, their tolerance is wearing pretty thin.

“Releasing the JFK assassination documents is really surprising.”

Nah. drumpf’s desperation to do something he will get kudos for from everyone or near everyone is showing. Not surprising to me at all.

“I’m surprised it’s so much more of a trainwreck than the trainwreck I thought it would be. Dangerous and embarrassing.”

I agree but I would express this differently if I was answering the question directly. To me, the biggest surprise is that this presidency has lasted this long. I knew the GOP wouldn’t lift a finger to help get rid of him, but I thought the pressure on him to resign would have been greater and his thick skin would not be as thick as it is.

skeptical
    Participant

I would say John Kelly going off on that Congresswoman at a press conference followed by the discovery of the existence of a videotape that wholly contradicts Kelly’s claim.

Now we know for sure there is NOBODY at the White House who will not lie for Trump even if it means toxifying their own previous impeccable reputation.

paulwalker
    Participant

Corruption close to Nixon’s White House, and getting worse by the day. My biggest surprise? How right wing media continue to be blinded by this ineffectual President, with Rush leading the way, followed by FoxNews, and then all his surrogates who continue to drink the Kool-Aid. Just disgusting at every level.

edselehr
    Participant

Ditto paulwalker, but directed more to his base. Can’t believe he’s still at about the same level of support he was when elected, especially given his track record of having no real track record of accomplishment.

Also surprised by my reassessment of other Republicans, such as W. and McCain. Sad to say, but I think McCain’s cancer has caused him to find his “country over party” soul.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yep, I hate to say it but Bush II and McCain represent the good old days of the GOP.

Today the party is in shambles with a war between the establishment and Steve Bannon. Trump seems somewhat lost in the middle. A recipe for disaster.

Andrew
    Participant

I don’t think there’s any evidence of Watergate-style corruption yet. Burglaries? Illegal wiretapping? Payoffs to blackmailers? Telling the CIA to tell the FBI to stop investigating you?

Trump may be guilty of obstruction of justice in the firing of James Comey. We’ll have to see what Robert Mueller comes up with on that and Russia. And Jeff Sessions may have perjured himself in front of Congress – but not as egregiously as a few of Nixon’s men did.

There have been terrific conflicts of interest in the Trump administration, but we’ve seen that stuff before, even if not real recently.

Vitalogy
    Participant

My other surprise is how many still support him. Even given all the evidence.

skeptical
    Participant

I amend my surprise to include the number of positive things I’ve been saying about George W Bush lately.

radiodork
    Spectator

Can’t wait to read all the comments from you cry baby liberals when Trump wins again in 2020, which he will.

semoochie
    Participant

Trump supporters are stupid. Don’t believe me? Ask Trump!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.