You Tube Media Personalities Interview Obama Get Dismiseed By Old Media

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things You Tube Media Personalities Interview Obama Get Dismiseed By Old Media

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    missing_kskd
    Participant

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=yYPEVI0FkrKhBMuigcAF&url=https://medium.com/%40hankgreen/holy-shit-i-interviewed-the-president-fa3e8fb44d16&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGAo4PcQ_QFD_Bnh5BGCvezVEGnew&sig2=e_GnsP_CpYsv_CHM-OGrVg

Frankly, I very strongly agree with Obama attempting to reach young people.

While not surprising, the general dismissal very clearly highlights basic media issues in play today.

Many young people do not trust establishes media. Who can blame them?

missing_kskd
    Participant

I very strongly disagree with the premise related to objectivity.

There is always bias. Cronkite had it.

The difference is whether or not the material is high clarity and honest in its bias as presented in branding and positioning the material in the program.

Citing MSNBC as being the same as FOX is very telling about how young people see media.

It is also a miss, due to the very material differences inherent in both networks.

However, I recognize the general lack of mistrust as to why that miss is there.

The daily show seems to breed far more trust than even solid programs do. I see young people able to identify with the basic truth component in comedy and get informed, but unable to differentiate other kinds of programs.

This is a loss for those in old media seeking to do well, and a loss I want to lament, but I cant.

I can’t because I see how new media, podcasts, hangouts, social media of various kinds, appear to communicate both fact and advocacy among people on a lot of channels they can themselves participate in.

How many established media sites and people have packaged away or disallow comments these days?

Compare that to new media types who embrace them.

This is a thought provoking read.

missing_kskd
    Participant
    outsider
    Participant

Talking to yourself again? 🙂

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Traditional media (TV News, mainly) has a demographic of a 65 plus year-old person. Which means, one day, traditional media may go bye-bye or have to reconfigure to the up and coming generation who don’t trust traditional media and simply don’t watch it.

Well informed bloggers, like those mentioned in the article, are gaining strongholds all over non-traditional media and making an impact. Their more mobile, have an audience that understands social media’s impact and have a can-do, right-now attitude. Obama understands that and handled these bloggers beautifully, even with some grace and humor.

The paradigm is changing, folks. Get used to the new normal…it’s already here.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Outsider, I have traditionally shared items I believe hold interest fo my friends here.

Sometimes that is true, and there is good discussion. Other times it is not.

There were content getting stale complaints as well. In the spirit of mitigating that, I offer some material and look forward to what others offer.

Got anything interesting? Share it up.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Chris, I just got a chromecast, and spent the evening using just a phone to get news and entertainment.

Very interesting experience.

You send the good stuff to the chromecast, then continue using the phone as normal. Spiffy.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recall about 20 years ago, long before social media was mainstream (or the term was even in use) that 60 Minutes stated on-air that their demographics were primarily 60+. Hearing that, I knew that I was completely out of the mainstream because I was a regular viewer at that point.

The landscape that we see now has been a long time coming, but I wonder what all of the steps have been between the 1980s (when Generation x was growing up) and today. I suspect that back then, younger people were discovering cable TV (primarily MTV) and that as they became older, they drifted to satirical news presentations on Comedy Central, as well as to bloggers. Stentorian newscasters with trustworthy information don’t resonate with young people, even though they are still on the air (look, for instance at Charlie Rose on PBS, with his very traditional, formal approach to interviews).

missing_kskd
    Participant

When I was young, I remember seeing Cronkite. He seemed steady, powerful, even worthy. It was explained to me we needed great people, solid thinkers, who cared to do that work, because we all need that work done.

I remember being bored out of my mind too. There was entertainment, computers, and all manner of things –anything actually, besides the news.

Sometimes the news was fun. Maybe it was an odd happening, or we were in school looking for “the hook” or “the lie” or the propaganda. Those lessons were very, very potent. I still remember those days with near perfect clarity, poking at ADS, comparing them to propaganda, picking through a news story looking for the point of view, or a failure of journalism.

And they taught us the basics of journalism too.

So many of us Gen X people were simply not politically aware. The 80’s and 90’s were damn good times, and the impact of policy had not yet rippled through to most of us, and so we lived, played, built, grew, learned…

But we did not learn enough. No where near enough.

We didn’t learn how to say things, how to talk about our problems in general terms. We didn’t understand the very real implications politics has either.

A lot of us didn’t learn to vote regularly.

After Bush was elected, some of us began to talk, and for the first time things seemed different and those differences crept in.

We tried to be informed, but the older media still was boring, and we had the Internet, and and and…

For me, the watershed was the Iraq War, the learning of the lie, the seeing it on FOX, knowing I had missed an awful lot, and the knowing I needed to identify who I was politically.

How can one be involved in politics without understanding ones own self?

The answer is we can, but we are tools in that regard, but I digress.

Blogging was something I already embraced. It was intoxicating to read these writings, fine minds, unconstrained, free to write without fear, and free to write what they really wanted to write, not so much what somebody else wanted them to write, or thought I might want to read or hear.

2003 saw the rise of New Media in politics for me. It was bubbling up before then, but that year was a powerful year. One could argue 2002 was as powerful, just not quite as prominent, more potential than actual.

I suppose I never really learned to trust established media, and I can blame a grade school teacher for that. When I was young, I would see stories framed from the labor point of view, and from the business or policy point of view.

Today, I do not see those stories, unless they come from new media, or the odd NPR type presentation.

Why? Those framings are for people like me, my peers, etc… Don’t we deserve a solid say? Etc…

And I love to watch young people use media. I love it more when I get something recommended to me, and it seems new, or strange, and I watch, then I go and ask. I get told very interesting things, different things from what my peers or elders might say, and there is something of value there, but I can’t quite grasp it on a basic level.

But I like what I see.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.