Wtf? -Travel from Europe to US banned!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dan Packard
    Keymaster

I am so shocked to hear of President ding-dong’s proclimation tonight that all travel from Europe to the United States is to be banned for 30 days.

This will not prevent the spread of Coronavirus, but will negatively affect economic markets and deeply disrupt lives. Even more so than already.

As i saw on a bumper sticker today, “Elect a clown, expect a circus”. Hang on everyone. 🙄

Vitalogy
    Participant

DOW futures are down another 5% overnight.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Up until yesterday, I had been feeling some relief from seeing that inventories at local Costcos are starting to build up. The panic is subsiding, I thought.

Then, I heard the report on KOMO about the travel ban, about Tom Hanks and a Utah Jazz player being diagnosed with the virus, and about the Washington State Fair cancelling all events through the end of the month. I suspect that some industries, such as massage therapy, are feeling the pinch from this panic. The economic effects will be much more profound than anybody could have imagined a month ago.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I was at Costco just yesterday and there was no t.p. nor facial tissues. None at Freddy’s on Saturday, either!

radiogeek
    Participant

25th Amendment.

Now. Before this asshole can do even more damage.

Ed

lastday
    Participant

When there’s a public emergency requiring Trump to read a written statement from a teleprompter, he’s flat, monotone, unconvincing, and insincere. He had some of his facts wrong and he referred to this as a “foreign virus”. Gosh has anyone told the virus that? All he did is spook investors with his uninformed gibberish.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Talk about low energy! I usually avoid having to look at his orange face and terrible hairdo or listen to his voice but I was interested enough to see what was to be said. Unimpressive to say the least. If his goal was to curb panic, he get’s an F-.

We are now headed for a full blown recession. Stock market tanking and down 29% in the last month, mortgage rates skyrocketing, and once the this trickles down to the housing market, look out.

paulwalker
    Participant

Doordash, Grubhub and UberEats will be winners in all this.

Andy Brown
    Participant

No, they won’t.

Dining out is always one of the first items to be eliminated from family budgets in a recession or any kind of austerity measure due to decreased income.

Those that can still afford restaurant priced dining may employ delivery service more than normal, but overall there will be a decrease in volume.

NO ONE will be winners in a recession.

lastday
    Participant

I’m not crazy about total strangers handling my food between the restaurant and me.

My favorite watering hole has removed all condiment containers from the dining tables. Have to ask for ketchup etc now.

paulwalker
    Participant

Andy not sure you know that these delivery services offer almost all fast food chains. That said most fast food locations are already seeing an uptick in drive thru traffic.

I have an acquaintance that delivers and she has already noticed a big increase in orders.

Andy Brown
    Participant

That people even eat that stuff is bad enough let alone pay extra to have it delivered.

Not a long term solution in a deep recession IMO.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

My doctor’s office removed all the magazines from the waiting room.

paulwalker
    Participant

Andy, because some are generally lazy and like the convenience. Also many younger folks don’t drive these days. Don’t underestimate this segment of the population. My only point is delivery of food will increase in these times due to folks wanting less exposure to others.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.