Windows 10 auto-update/WiFi sharing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jr_tech
    Participant

Anybody here concerned about this?

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/windows-10-draws-heat-for-wifi-sharing-but-fears-may-be-overblown/

Most people I know have turned off windows auto update until more is known about this.

RobP
    Participant

Nope, not concerned at all. It’s simple to shut off when you first set up W10 if you’re smart enough to NOT accept the default settings. But if you don’t possess that intelligence you deserve to be hacked.

Broadway
    Participant

Staying away from W10…won’t play Audition 3…a software staple for radio prod.

skeptical
    Participant

“Staying away from W10…won’t play Audition 3…a software staple for radio prod.”

God is tired of your abusing her radio waves. As soon as she gets her narrowcast apparatus sorted out, she’s gonna unglue your brain. Steer clear of 1420 MHz.

Andy Brown
    Participant

There appears to be larger issues with Win10 with respect to its automatic updates function which is in the EULA so that drivers are being updated when that is not what is always prudent. Many users have been reporting problems trying to get Bluetooth and Wi-Fi working correctly. Various third-party companies have yet to get many of their hardware working correctly with Windows 10, but of course, there is always the chance that the problem is within the operating system.

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-problems-experience

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

After hearing about problems with Adobe Audition 3.0, I thought I would try Audition 1.5 on Windows 10 Home. Audition 1.5, WiFi and Bluetooth all work fine so far.

washnotore
    Participant

CenturyLink just sent e-mail out to it service subcribers. Don’t lose your Internet Settings during the Windows 10 upgrade.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

I always prefer to do a clean install of a new OS. Here are instructions on how to get the free Windows 10 upgrade and then do a clean install.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077997/microsoft-windows-10-clean-install-how-to-guide

Broadway
    Participant

>>Audition 1.5, WiFi and Bluetooth all work fine so far.
    I talked with my IT friend recently and he said his upgrade allowed Audition 3 to work fine…just some online boards were saying they had problems…but I still won’t upgrade for now, Windows says my video card is not compatible…amazing they can tell that.

washnotore
    Participant

If your still using Internet Explorer, IE 10 or earlier in Windows 7 OS. You will not see Windows 10 upgrade icon appear. Microsoft requires all Win 7 computer to have IE 11 installed. In order for the Windows 10 upgrade to proceed.

missing_kskd
    Participant

So far, privacy aside (and that is not as simple to turn off as presented here so far), the worry is over non disclosure of update content and functionality changes.

For me, that is a no go. I don’t care about the privacy problems. I think it’s a bad move, but I don’t do things I would rather not be known on anything but Linux or home brew computers.

But having updates just happen is unacceptable professionally. Not knowing what will happen is worse.

Group policy settings in Pro can limit the when, but one does not know what.

A friend was in front of people and had a big fail. Reason was the machine was changed overnight. Scary stuff if you have to demonstrate or perform in any meaningful way live.

I currently run mac os, Linux and win 7 and will jeep it that way, until some of this gets sorted out.

I did spend some time on the OS and it’s fine. No worries there. Usability is there for the most part. I know I can be happy and productive with very modest effort.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.