Will the government leave anything unregulated?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Will the government leave anything unregulated?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

Not a regulation yet, but the thinking is there. I wonder who thought this up.

http://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/South-Dakotas-safe-driving-campaign-slogan-doesnt-mean-what-you-think-285510761.html

Langston
    Participant

Someone with a cold hand.

Amus
    Participant

It’s certainly an attention getter.
    Maybe that was the idea.

A spokesperson for the Office on Highway Safety says the campaign has outperformed previous ones and has reached a demographic, young men, that is hard to reach.

missing_kskd
    Participant

That’s a great campaign.

Government is necessary, and good government adds value to our lives.

There are 4 ways our behavior is regulated: money and markets, norms, law and physics.

This campaign is employing norms to regulate behavior when the results are impacted by physics.

Education / advocacy campaigns seek to regulate with norms and they are generally more effective than law in scenarios like this one.

Good on SD. They get it.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

But, apparently you don’t.

Vitalogy
    Participant

If you like no regulation may I suggest you go to Somalia and report back to us how great it is.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

It’s interesting that the radical liberals don’t get the humor in the slogan.

Any hint of wording in a post that might suggest less regulation of people’s lives, even in humor, brings out all of the liberal venom.

I’ll try to help you here. Let me explain. It’s pretty unlikely that even the sickest liberal government will attempt to regulate jerking off.

What a bunch of sickos.

duxrule
    Participant

Who started the thread? Who had the idea about “jerking off” before anyone else did? Who “drove this into the gutter” before things even got started? It wasn’t any of us lefties. 😉

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The department’s director, who is aware of the double meaning, says the message is drivers should keep their car out of the ditch and their minds out of the gutter.

🙂

Jerk the wheel at your own risk! (I can’t imagine that jerking the steering wheel could be made into a ticketable offense.

I think that a much better example of what the original post was going for is the drama that is unfolding between the new UBER ride-sharing service and some city governments, such as Portland’s, which want to maintain a strict control over the operation of taxi services.

Amus
    Participant

I can’t imagine that jerking the steering wheel could be made into a ticketable offense.

I interpreted “risk” in this case to be as risk to life & limb, not as a ticketable offense.

I don’t see anything about enforcement.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

It was only a promotional slogan, not a regulation. I wrote the headline in humor, but the humorless on here didn’t catch on.

In any case, the promotion has been canceled due to the double meaning, which, BTW was intentional on the part of the creators.

http://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/South-Dakota-pulls-safe-driving-ad-with-double-meaning-285636711.html

duxrule
    Participant

So, who do you think “jerked” this campaign? The “lefties” or the “righties”?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Bummer! I liked the double-double entendre, and I am slapping myself between the bunny ears for not catching that this thread was meant as a joke.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I totally get the humor!

That is why I wrote the post on norms and complimented them on a great campaign.

Text does not always convey it all, as we all know.

Your headline just added to it, Deane.

kennewickman
    Participant

I agree and the authors of the campaign who actually admitted to it in the last link that Deane sent . You must expect this sort of thing because slowly those in charge of editing and creating such campaigns and in positions of administrative authority *are* from the Millenial generation or close to it ! And this generation has grown up with all the trappings of social media and the ‘attitude’ and direction it has taken, especially since Y2K. My daughter was born in 1984, she is over 30 now ( a late on the cusp gen-xer )..my son born in 88 is really a millennial… those of us from the baby boomers, especially, are going to notice these rather ‘glaring’ expositions coming from traditional rather stuffy “government sources”…these things are changing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.