Will Facebook survive?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  cbaravelli 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

paulwalker
    Participant

The tech industry has shown us that many franchises tend to come and go. Remember My Space? Is one of the biggest, Facebook, about to go? There are some troubling signs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/roger-mcnamee-facebook-is-losing-consumer-trust.html

I cancelled a couple of months ago, before the recent data breaches were publicized. I simply didn’t see any value in the product for me personally. The latest news just supports my decision to get off the ‘book.

I’m certain something else will come along, or perhaps FB will find a way out of this mess. Check your stock portfolio, however. FB may be a sell right now, or…not.

skeptical
    Participant

Yeah, it will survive. Although quite tarnished. And lessons learned all around the table.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

According to statistica.com, Facebook posts (not traffic) is down 39% from this day last year.
    Told clients tw.co was a dead bird walking almost two years ago.
    Let’s see if Zuckerberg and friends can reverse the decline. It’s costing him billions.

Andrew
    Participant

Yes, it will survive. I think this whole “scandal” is quite overblown, and that the average Facebook user doesn’t really give a rat’s ass about it.

Andrew
    Participant

The comparisons to My Space don’t really cut it. My Space never came close to the penetration of our society that Facebook has achieved. What real competitor does it have?

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Not that long ago, I noticed that Facebook has algorithms that attempt to profile users’ political leanings. It appears that the articles or sources of what one’s friends share play a part into how one is ranked on the political spectrum. Apparently, Facebook believes in the old adage, “be careful of the company you keep.”

Andrew
    Participant

Not sure Facebook explicitly tries to detect one’s “political leanings” – more that they try to detect your interests in a subject, then show you more about it. For example, I love cats and tend to “like” pretty any cat picture anyone posts. I noticed at some point that I was being bombarded not just with ads for cat food and pet products but also lots of “suggested posts” for animal sites – some of which are just clickbait sites (“here’s a cute cat video and 73 ads!”) I rarely “like” anything political on FB these days so see very little political “suggestions” in my feed.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Perhaps profile is too strong a word in that it has some connotations that I didn’t intend. What does happen, I believe, is that if one allows oneself to be categorized as “very liberal” (for the sake of argument), then Facebook’s algorithms will make it more likely that one will see posts (both from friends and sponsored) that Facebook considers to fit with those views. There is the option to turn the Political Leanings (or whatever they call it) off. However, the self-reinforcing logic used seems to be that if most of one’s friends tend to post “very liberal” stuff, then likely one is also very liberal, and “very liberal” content will get a higher priority in one’s newsfeed.

I was tagged “very liberal” not because of something that I wrote but (likely) because a number of my friends routinely post anti-Trump news stories and editorials and a few of my friends seem to post links to left-leaning commentary sites. The result was that I was being inundated with wall-to-wall Trump material (even more so than on this board) and miscellaneous snarky editorials that I just found annoying. I turned off the political interests feature, as I didn’t agree with how it classified me, nor was I too excited about the bias that it would supposedly introduce into what I was seeing.

lastday
    Participant

When Elon Musk found out his companies Tesla and SpaceX had a FB presence this week, he ordered them deleted. Musk himself doesn’t use FB and he seems to not have a very high regard for Zuckerberg (and vice versa).

I’ve never done FB and never will. It’s the epitome of interweb social media evil.

Get off my lawn!

Andrew
    Participant

(shrug) I don’t post that much on FB myself but do find it useful for some things.

Anyone truly worried about their privacy should probably stop using Google, Microsoft, Apple, smart phones…and most other internet-related technology.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

However, the self-reinforcing logic used seems to be that if most of one’s friends tend to post “very liberal” stuff, then likely one is also very liberal, and “very liberal” content will get a higher priority in one’s newsfeed.” – AlfredoT
    Endorphin Loop. A very powerful and addicting neuropeptide.
    Feed the monster poison.
    For whatever algorithm reasons, fb.com thinks I am Nigerian, tw.com thinks I am a Filipina nurse living in San Marcos and linkdin.com thinks I am an engineering student at UC Berkeley.
    For grins, web search yourself.
    Interesting. Facebook has locked its back door, fb.co.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  cbaravelli. Reason: bad code

radiodork
    Spectator

If you’re worried about The lack of privacy on Facebook you should be more worried about your Apple I phone. You don’t think your I phone is spying on you? Guess again. Or what about “Alexa”? People bring that thing home and place it on their kitchen table and forget to realize Alexa is tracking so much info on you and who the hell knows what they are doing with the info.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  radiodork.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Apple policy is to keep personal data on the device and not in the cloud.
    Apple and FBI are in Federal Court over this practice.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Ruskis are mere pikers in light of news and claims pouring out of Europa concerning Cambridge Analytica:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5548919/Christopher-Wylie-says-predecessor-killed.html
    Why did Facebook even do business with these people? Simple greed? Naivete?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.