Why DXer 1969?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I guess that this board has turned into The Phil Hendrie Show. I had been fooled into thinking that Dxer1969 was a genuine participant, rather than a concocted persona.

What if Dxer1969 intended to drop some hints about his true identity earlier in this thread? Could he be one and the same as any of the following user accounts:

• HD
    • Lurking Grendel
    • Deane
    • Jerry1949
    • The_Pope

I love a mystery. I would never rule out the possibility that one person could simultaneously run two personas on a message board, with opposing viewpoints, just for the entertainment of creating fictional arguments between them and of fooling legitimate participants into taking part in these contrived arguments.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I did that as an experiment once. Others never knew.

It can just make drama. But, it can also get at info people would not otherwise reveal, or be aware of too. One very useful thing is the ability to set up a dialog multiple times. One can get a reasonable control that way, which then can be compared to various test scenarios. Almost science. That’s why I did it. Really wanted to explore how some online dynamics play out.

Not recommended, goes without saying. If you ever do, consider “do no harm” as your guiding principle. If you do it to learn about people and online dialog, I won’t ever fault you. But, it is so often used for ugly purposes, and that I would fault anyone for.

I didn’t do it here. And when I did do it, it was the 90s. Yes, I learned some useful stuff. No harm done.

As for this? I really don’t know, and I took DXER at face value, just wanting to not cause harm, and maybe just listen and chat a little. Sometimes doing that can be worth a lot to a person, so that is what I did with kid gloves.

He presented as a fan of us, and not in a good place in life.

If I had to guess, that person was a manifestation of “just can’t let it go” F&B. To be clear, I have no idea and no suspicions at present.

Oh well, we are doing just fine right now. Hope it continues.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Dxer1969 had me fooled with the stories about mixing pills and alcohol and about having to live with roommates because his life fell apart. On second thought, the notion of somebody struggling to type on a message board while under the influence of prescription medication and alcohol seems a bit far-fetched. (Wouldn’t a person in that state just lie down?)

edselehr
    Participant

I cannot emphasize enough how much I don’t care whether Dxer1969 is a sockpuppet or not. But his/her sudden appearance on the board, with NO previous interaction yet an encyclopedic knowledge of current and past members, is a dead giveaway that “Dexer” isn’t a stranger to PDXRadio.

semoochie
    Participant

When he came on initially, he said that he’d been reading the posts for years but hadn’t participated. He also indicated that he wanted to bring life to the board again, as things have fallen off lately. In any case, I don’t think we’ve heard from him in awhile.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

By the way, has anybody else on this board ever heard of an idea called Poe’s Law? The term was not coined until 2005, although the principle behind it has, no doubt, been around much longer. The idea is that extreme viewpoints can reach a level of absurdity where it becomes impossible to discriminate sincere expressions of these viewpoints from skilled parodies of the same. Phil Hendrie routinely exploited this on his radio program, and I am sure that it has happened on this forum a number of times without me even suspecting anything (for example, I didn’t know that Motozak3 was the product of somebody’s imagination).

semoochie
    Participant

You got me! I’ve been posing on this board as Semoochie for over 20 years but that isn’t my real name. 🙂

missing_kskd
    Participant

That law describes the magic behind the Colbert character on “The Colbert Report”

I didn’t know of this. Interesting!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Thanks for the support Edsel. Me? I
    Lost my freaking Password. Ugh!! Hopefully, I can stay back. Been sicker than hell too! Not good.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ HD. Glad to see you aren’t dead. Am also glad you posted on my thread. Dude, continue to post. You are kind of the life of the party when you do!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Well, I have to respond to this: Me? Lurking Grendel? WOW! For one thing, LG is vastly more intelligent than myself. Look at LG’s posts, compared to mine. Not the same person. LG was on here before I knew this forum existed. Deane? A pro who owned and operated radio stations for decades. Me? Admitted to all I never worked in radio. Wish I did, but didn’t. He too, has been on this board before I even heard of it. HD? His own man. Not me by a long shot, but still, I always did like the guy. Jerry/The Pope? The same person. Not me. Dan banned them If he even thought I was them, my posting days here would be over.
    Nope. I am just John. My real name. An admirer of the board and have been for over 5 years.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Well, there you go. Hi John.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I apologize for going along with the idea that Dxer1969’s posts were not genuine. The Dale Gribble in me comes out from time to time.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Apology accepted, Alfredo. You didn’t know my situation. Nobody is a mind reader here.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Thanks, Missing. Liked your intake. Me, I posted too much and then when I was let back on, Forgot my password. Grand kids found it in an old email on Dec. 2. Thanks so much for children! They are so damn smart these days!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.