Why America Has So Many Social Problems

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Why America Has So Many Social Problems

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

I noticed Bernie Sanders has echoed a feeling that many Americans believe when he said “This country is never going to move forward unless we end Republican rule in the House and Senate.” Now you may think is that really a solution that would guarantee anything? but there is substantial evidence it is, at least in the current time.

In a country where a sitting congressman told a crowd that evolution and the Big Bang are “lies straight from the pit of hell,” where the chairman of a Senate environmental panel brought a snowball into the chamber as evidence that climate change is a hoax, where almost one in three citizens can’t name the vice president , it is beyond dispute that critical thinking has been abandoned as a cultural value. America is killing itself through its embrace and exaltation of ignorance, and the evidence is all around us.

What Americans rarely acknowledge is that many of their social problems are rooted in the rejection of critical thinking. International quality of life rankings place America barely in the top ten. America’s rates of murder and other violent crime dwarf most of the rest of the developed world, as does its incarceration rate, while its rates of education and scientific literacy are embarrassingly low. American schools, claiming to uphold “traditional values,” avoid fact-based sex education, and thus we have the highest rates of teen pregnancy in the industrialized world. And those rates are notably highest where so-called “biblical values” are prominent. Go outside the Bible belt, and the rates generally trend downward.

Amus
    Participant

You beat me to it.

I was going to post something about this also.

Here is some additional reading about anti-intellectualism so prevalent among some Republicans these days.

On Edit; I would add there is also a real disturbing pride of ignorance among some of these same people.
    Sarah Palin being a case in point.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201506/anti-intellectualism-is-killing-america

Broadway
    Participant

1st Corinthians 3:19 New Living Translation
    For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say, “He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness.”

Amus
    Participant

And another case in point.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

If we must:

James 3:13

“Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.”

See Broadway, without context, anyone can play your “drop the bible verse and run” tactic. Even me.

Please, stop the anti-intellectualism.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Wow, Bernie is just going to unload it all. Good. He has balls, and we need a little frank, real dialog.

He is right. I find the TPP discussion and the health care one very enlightening.

If you just pretend Republicans don’t exist, the remaining discussion on both matters is about what we used to get with both parties working as they used to!

Just Democrats.

At this time, the GOP is completely unwilling and I submit, unable to govern, though they are happy to rule. Democrats appear far more willing to practice Democracy as intended by the vote of the people and out founders.

Republicans won’t and can’t do the same.

Bernie is about the only one to actually say it in official capacity.

Awesome!

missing_kskd
    Participant

KSKD: 4:20

Partake liberally to ease the suffering of fools, clowns and asses. Love your brothers and sisters as you do yourself. Share perspective and be enlightened to greater days and better means.

Yes, the anti bullshit weighs heavy at times. There is booze, and for my Northwest peers the flowers as of July 1.

We live in crazy times. Really.

My neighbors have jumped the gun a little. I see 4 pretty big plants right there in the back yard, peeking over the fence!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Don’t waste your time, Chris. Broadway is self deluding.
    Broadway is both the insult and the insulter. He lacks real depth of mind. Not only is he narrow of scope he also is short of sight. His door to door proselytizing on this forum has no meaning to anyone but himself. He doesn’t realize evangelism makes him stupid.

So why does evangelicalism make one stupid?

Think about stupidity – it’s not the same as ignorance. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge of facts, while stupidity is the inability to use reason well. One can be stupid without being ignorant, and vice versa as well. Now, if one buys the right-wing version of evangelicalism one also buys several other doctrines. The most important one being the #1 inerrancy of the scriptures. Then there’s the idea that #2 the Holy Spirit guided the many writers of the Bible to write something that has intrinsic unity and truth when we know that is not true. The New Testament was written by men with an agenda that was far from “holy” (I already documented that one). The idea that #3 the Word of God is the Bible (the Bible was written by men inspired by the concept, many of whom claimed God told them the words but the discrepancies far outnumber the facts (see #1). #4 A belief in catastrophism, that is, that personal and social change happens not incrementally but suddenly. This is where the belief in being “born again” comes from. #5 The belief that God’s hand in the world dictates the direction of the events of history and of the present, not human behavior. There are more, but those serve us well as starters.

Fact is Broadway, you are incapable of any cogent response so you throw out some biblical verse you think addresses or answers the topic/question. You are a fool in addition to being “stupid.”

In fact, evangelism is one of America’s social problems.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Not much I can add, but to express my appreciation. I’m lucky to share time with many of you. Just know that.

Broadway
    Participant

Such a nice crowd I am surrounded by. What if I did post verses that had so called context notes before and after with theological commentary…let’s do this!

Amus
    Participant

Start a thread

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.