Who is TV49inc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

As of tonight we have a new 5 KW TV translator on the North Coast, ch 36. I have no idea who they are. But they now have one (36) on and ch 15 CP . Their channel line up is interesting.
    3.1 Heroes & Icons
    3.2 Start TV
    3.3 Movies!
    3.4 Decades
    3.5 METV+

pq is SD, but quite good. I have no idea who TV49inc is. Does anyone know? Fantastic addition. We now have 32 OTA channels here.

lastday
    Participant

I suspect it’s related to this company in Chicago.

https://www.weigelbroadcasting.com

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I did finally trace TV49 to Weigel Broadcasting. I checked their website and I found they have a handful of translators around, and the only one I could find in the NW was Astoria. That blows me away, why Astoria when they could be in bigger markets. Maybe they got a good deal on the translators? Anyway, we now have 32 OTA stations, going to translator 6 (17/21/23/26/34/36) For years the Oregon Coast was staved for OTA TV. We had only 3 stations until digital kicked in, and now at 32. Fantastic.

boisebill
    Participant

Back in the 90’s a Cousin in Seaview was happy to see I could get the Astoria translators up there on the little handheld TV. So off the Radio Shack we went! Estatic to wacht Portland newscasts.
    Notice now all of the “Astoria” Portland translators are actually on the Washington side. Better OTA signal from Portland that side.

yahmit
    Participant

What a great network line up on 49inc. We need these OTA in the Portland and the Valley.

mwdxer1
    Participant

After our storm of thunder & lightening this morning, the translator is on at 93%, but only a blank screen. Something knocked it out. I have no idea who is handling the maintenance, but I have an idea it is probably one of the Portland stations, like KATU that has METV. I can’t believe they would send someone out from Chicago every time something would happen. Probably a contract with a Portland station. If not then maybe KFFV Seattle that is owned by Weigel. If it doesn’t return, I will give a couple of calls. By the FCC info, the translator is not in the area of the others (2/6/8/10/12). It shows about a mile South. It is still on Megler Mountain, but closer to me (Warrenton). The pattern is interesting as they show more signal around to The Long Beach Pen that the other translators, listed as 5 KW ERP.
    I also read that Weigel wants have a network of translators all over to get their 6 services out to everyone. So many stations are owned by corporations that have their own programming services, like Sinclair (Comet, Charge,etc), Nexstar (Antenna TV, Rewind, etc), and so on, so networks like Weigel need their own stations and translators. That way an IND translator can offer a lot of channels otherwise not seen in a market.

Chico
    Participant

An awful lot of smaller market engineering is done by contract engineers. An outfit running a bunch of far flung translators would have a few on speed dial I would imagine.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I made a few phone calls today and talked to the CE at KATU that carries METV, thinking it might be them. This was news to him, as he did not know anything about it. Probably a CE from KFFV Seattle, if I was going to guess. I doubt they sent anyone out from Chicago. I asked why Astoria, over larger markets. I told him there were apps for several translators out here and it looks like Weigel bought two, ch36 & 15. He went on to say, since the FCC took away anything above 38. there are not many openings for new CPs.The dial is pretty full in many markets. I feel we are very lucky out here. He also said, the reason several Portland stations moved to UHF, as 3.0 does not do well on VHF. I guess 10 is the only one left on VHF now.

I did call Weigel in Chicago and she passed the word on, we are happy with the service. ch 36 is not with the other clusters through. By degrees, it looks like about a mile South, but still on Megler.

mwdxer1
    Participant

There are so many CP LPTVs and such in Portland. I would think someone would carry the cluster.

semoochie
    Participant

KPTV still broadcasts on channel 12.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by semoochie.
    boisebill
    Participant

Probably a contract engineer taking care of translators. Even many “station” owned translators are contracted out nowadays.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KPTV has a CP to move to 21, according to Rabbit Ears.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The Local 2-6-8-10-12 translators all have their own engineers, but they all work across the table. if an engineer from one is out here, they often will take care of a problem from another I have been told, if it doesn’t involve a lot.

semoochie
    Participant

KPTV apparently appears to intend a move to channel 21 but it looks like it’s in the rulemaking stage. I don’t even see an application, let alone a construction permit!

DarkStar
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.