Where is the U.N.???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Deane Johnson
    Participant

The refugee problem in Europe is a horrible mass of death and suffering. This would be a perfect situation for the U.N. to step in to provide help. Not just food and medicine, but intervention in the deadly migration and atrocities at the hands of smugglers.

This is clearly a situation where the U.N. should be geared to mobilize into action to help.

duxrule
    Participant

Yes.

Amus
    Participant

Notice the use of the term “refugee” in this case.

That is right and proper.

But contrast that with when unaccompanied children were crossing the US/Mexico border to escape drug violence in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua.

Do you recall any of these children being referred to as “refugees”?

I don’t.
    They were called “child migrants”.

Why do you suppose that is?

I suggest it was because it’s easier to assuage our oh so Christian souls that “migrants” are just swarthy pests as opposed to “refugees”, politically speaking.

As an aside, can you imagine the outcry if the UN were to intervene on behalf of “migrant children” on the southern border of the US?!?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Right Amus, let’s be sure to get some liberal political correctness into the equation.

Amus
    Participant

Calling refugees anything but what they are for political reasons is political wrongness.

And it’s really just an excuse to be a bigoted ass without the guilt that should accompany it if one were a reasonably compassionate human.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Amus, you should consider getting some help.

Amus
    Participant

I’m just fine thanks. But I appreciate your concern.

But seriously,

Unaccompanied children crossing the Mexico/US border to escape drug violence in South America;

“migrant children” or “refugees”
    Which is it?

And would you be opposed to the UN intervening on the US southern border?

How about answering instead of calling me names and avoiding the hypocritical contradiction?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

And what is it the U.N. should do on our southern border?

Amus
    Participant

No answer, just another dodge and misdirection.

missing_kskd
    Participant

lol!!

Isn’t a refugee a refugee anywhere they happen to be experiencing that struggle?

No material difference in the scenarios, other than it’s “the homeland” and somehow it’s all different.

Like we can handle our own affairs, but the rest of the world needs us and or the UN?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

“Like we can handle our own affairs, but the rest of the world needs us and or the UN?”

That’s true in a lot of cases.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Only if you want to pay for it.

Seems we have a problem doing that, and guess who never seems to want to pay for expensive aid, intervention, war, etc… ?

That’s right! Same party that put a war on credit, and it’s not the Democrats.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

It’s amazing how these threads drift off the track and positions are assigned to people that never took those positions. I never said anything about intervention or war. I said the U.N. should step up to the plate and help these fleeing refugees. They’re starving to death, drowning, being killed by smugglers, tortured, you name it. I’m surprised you libs are so OK with there plight. Screw ’em, let ’em die, right?

missing_kskd
    Participant

Of course not. No self respecting liberal would want to deny people help.

Liberal concern on this is consistent.

Hell, we even help loud mouth conservatives who get burned by their own policy preferences. A lot of those see our point of view differently after that too.

Remember the guy who was going to go blind. He was a real anti ACA type. Not any more.

The point made here is not that those people don’t need or deserve help.

It is all about seeing conditional concern on the part of Conservatives and their fans, just to be inclusive and nor judgemental of current company.

Katrina? Remember the black people and how they were characterized very differently from white people despite the very same circumstances?

Or Amus point out that same kind of thing on our own borders right now.

And conservatives will regularly point out how liberals are too easy with other people’s money to help those other people, mostly brown people and white people’s money.

Calling for the UN is easy. Not our money, right?

Stuff like that tends to blunt the whole help them message some. It’s well intentioned, no worries.

We get that Deane.

But it is also confusing and frustrating too, and it is for the kinds of contradictory behavior and opinion cited here.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Liberals simply look under every rock for something to disagree with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.