When do you think KEX will go All Sports?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio When do you think KEX will go All Sports?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

News/Talk is on life support and I don’t see any other viable format choices here. I’ll say two years, maybe three. Anyone else?

W7PAT
    Participant

Thank you Semoochie, I have often wondered why KEX isn’t “Rip City Radio” and hosting the Blazers, local sports shows, and Fox sports. It’s a waste of 50,000 watts to carry Rush Limbaugh when he is heard on countless stations already. KPOJ with only 10kW (at night) just doesn’t cut it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong–the morning drive news with Michael Castner is now the only live, locally produced program on KEX. KEX’s ratings have been lagging behind KXL and KOPB for years. Perhaps, the writing is on the wall.

If the sports programming were to move from 620 to 1190, what would the replacement format be on 620?

W7PAT
    Participant

All news like KOMO or KCBS would be great, but it will probably never happen in this market.

Joe
    Participant

If sports were to move to 1190, I would think the talk format would move to 620.

Although for this to happen would involve iHeart Media actually listening to what listeners want and that won’t happen until pigs fly into a frozen hell.

paulwalker
    Participant

I sense a movement away from traditional Newstalk to emotional sports branding. Unless there are no stars that can command an audience then I think the only thing left is sports programming on AM. So to answer your question probably sooner than later. We have seen this in Seattle and other major markets. AM and FM will become sports centric once the big dogs of talk radio expire.

jr_tech
    Participant

“If the sports programming were to move from 620 to 1190, what would the replacement format be on 620?”

Programming from CRI?… KXPD is kinda weak. Honestly, what other formats are left for AM radio?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is a bit of a wacky proposition that might feel like a timewarp to the late 1980s–IF “Rip City Radio” moves to 1190, is it possible that iHeart would temporarily simulcast one of its FM stations (or an HD subchannel thereof) on 620 until it can either sell the station or find entities willing to buy airtime on it?

semoochie
    Participant

“If the sports programming were to move from 620 to 1190, what would the replacement format be on 620?” It wasn’t Sports but this is basically what happened to KEWS. They were a strong third(occasionally second), placing in the top ten behind KEX and KXL until their line-up was moved to KEX and the next thing we knew, they were gone. “If sports were to move to 1190, I would think the talk format would move to 620.” The point here Joe is that there will soon be no Talk format of any significance, since increasingly, it only appeals to old men. If KEX switches to Sports, I’m sure that KPOJ will continue in that general vein. It just occurred to me that we could easily end up with six Sports stations: 1080/910, 1190/620 and 750/970.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I can see political talk fizzling out as a format. In the 1990s and early 2000s, “hot” talk was popular. Some of the popular hot talk personalities of that era, such as Tom Leykis and Phil Hendrie left radio to do Internet-only shows. Howard Stern went to satellite radio. If somebody had told me, in 2000, that by the end of the decade, these shows would be off the air and that the hot talk format itself would have disappeared, I would have been shocked and assumed that such a prediction had no chance of coming to pass.

Sports formats are very popular with advertisers today. I wonder, though, would iHeart attempt to run such a format on two stations? Is there enough content available to support full-time sports formats on 620, 750, 910, and 1190? More importantly, since iHeart owns Premiere Networks, which syndicates The Rush Limbaugh Show, wouldn’t iHeart want to keep Rush Limbaugh on the air on one of its Portland stations? (I think the latter would indicate that it would be more likely for 620 and 1190 to swap programming rather than for the talk format to be discontinued overnight.)

semoochie
    Participant

I will be very surprised if Rush Limbaugh renews his contract. He still has the chance to go out on top and that won’t happen otherwise. By pairing these stations, they have the ability to sell in combo and be completely complementary to each other.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When Limbaugh goes off the air, I could see the remaining dominoes falling, unfortunately.

Dxer1969
    Participant

No. Not yet. As long as they carry that fool blowhard, Limbaugh. Never happen. Until then, it’ll just be the Beavs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.