What's goin on with 101.5 k fly

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I turned on KFLY yesterday, and the first song that I heard transported me back to 1998–“Bittersweet Symphony” by The Verve. I heard a few other artists that I did not recognize and no commercials.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I listened to KFLY again, around 1:00 PM. I heard a stopset containing:

1) Rent-A-Center
    2) Eva’s Boutique Lingerie and Lifestyle Shop
    3) Josh Lowe’s Dr. Energy Saver

I think that the second commercial helps to explain the format switch. KFLY’s owners want to reach women.

I later heard a DJ who announced that he would be making an appearance at Lane Blood Center. Lane Blood Center is the sponsor of a concert series taking place in the Eugene area.

Later, there was another stopset with:

1) Del Taco
    2) Mountain Dew
    3) Kiefer Kia
    4) The Greener Side (flowers & gardening supplies)

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Bicoastal Media Flips KFLY/Eugene & KZZE/Medford, To Triple A

BICOASTAL MEDIA President MIKE WILSON announced TODAY (8/4) that he has made two station format changes — KFLY/EUGENE and KZZE (now KYVL)/MEDFORD are now simulcasting the Triple A format. Former longtime KINK/Portland, OR PD CARL WIDING will be consulting.

WILSON said “After extensive discussions with our managers, it was clear we could reposition both KFLY and KZZE in such a way that our markets and our advertising partners would be the beneficiaries of radio stations that are more balanced in terms of men and women listeners and a have greater impact in Nielsen Ratings. The first obvious move was to bring in a programmer who knows more about OREGON music radio than anyone. With an opportunity this big we had to move fast and it was a no brainer to add CARL WIDING to our team. BICOASTAL MEDIA is the largest radio broadcaster in OREGON and our goal was to team up with CARL and let him use his knowledge and experience to make our stations the best in OREGON radio”.

WIDING said, “The Triple A format is perfect for EUGENE and MEDFORD. Working with station Market Managers LARRY ROGERS and BILL ASHENDEN gives me twice the resources and synergies as we fine tune each market to be hyper local and listener focused. These guys have been in OREGON RADIO for decades; our combined knowledge is awesome!”

SBC97281
    Participant

I think there is a disconnect between Active Rock and commercialization potential. Given the choice I would be an active rock listener. But as soon as the DJs start rambling about this is that alcohol induced stupidity or that skanky hookup, my wife changes the channel or turns the radio off completely.

And there in lies the problem with radio as my wife is in the target demographic so highly desired by the corporate broadcaster. When I could get KFLY while out driving, their afternoon and evening Talent was talking on the edge of vulgarity rather than playing music and working on cultivating a listening audience that would support advertisers. In an average 20 minute drive, they may have played one active rock song.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am a bit surprised that it is the DJ banter, rather than the active rock music itself that is repulsive to your wife. It has been my general experience that women, regardless of age, find this type of music to be too abrasive and dissonant.

At the risk of sounding like a poopy-head, I will say that I like what I have been hearing on the new KFLY. When I was 19 years old, I would have enjoyed active rock. No stations in my area programmed the format full-time, but there were university stations that had heavy metal and hardcore shows. Today, I am 41 years old, and that music to me sounds like a relic of the distant past. I have outgrown it.

paulwalker
    Participant

“poopy-head”…have not heard that in decades. But that plays into my point here. The audience has aged, just as this was projected 40 years ago. It wasn’t hard to figure out, we had so many babies from 1947-1964, this demo, with aid from medical advances dominates society today. Watch daytime TV for any length of time and you see it, the endless ads aimed strictly to the 50-75 year old population that is now simply huge.

Radio has really no choice to aim at this demo. That is why I fought against oldies stations changing formats a decade or two ago, but most of those stations have rode the wave just fine, evolving with the demographic in a nice, kind way.

Today, it is “Classic Hits”, not “oldies”, and they have managed to transform the format from a 60’s based library to a late 70’s and 80’s based library, as well they should have.

But to put this back on track, the changes at KFLY and its sister in Medford are also a good representation of what is occuring. Aim the demo higher to survive.

The bad news, we are just hurrying up the eventual demise of the industry. But I don’t think there is any turning back at this point, and for that, I am sad.

SBC97281
    Participant

Some days I wonder if the demographic assumptions are relevant. Exceptions should not prove or disprove the rule, but, when I could get KFLY before the format it was a great radio listen when they would actually play active rock.

Their DJs in the blocks I could listen did little to keep me engaged between songs.

My 18 year old is the one with money to spend in the family as he works constantly so there is a valuable demographic some advertiser is missing. And I a old enough to have an 18 year old son so the assumption that the format stops at 29 is a bit off.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.