What to do about Drones?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

So right before dusk tonight someone flew a drone for about 15 minutes on a private golf course. They certainly seemed to be having a great time, and I don’t blame them for that. However it came close to crashing into some nearby condos, plus they were on private property. Is this something we should be concerned with? (as in, privacy issues, and actual property damage issues?). We have seen some close airplane encounters, and while this was nowhere near the danger, I wonder where this tech is going and if and when it will be regulated.

skeptical
    Participant

There is a 400 ft max restriction for personal drones. I also understand that some consumer units “shut off” and land if “x” distance from the “joystick” is exceeded.

Perhaps someone else may know more than I (or more up to goggling this).

On the upside, if one flies low over my property, I’m looking forward to shooting it down via my pellet pistol or paintball gun. 🙂

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A few weeks ago, I was doing some yard work when I heard a high pitched buzzing sound. I thought that I had hit a hornets’ nest, and was ready to run for cover! I then looked up, and I saw a drone flying in the distance. Those little things can be loud.

The ease of use of these things appears to be a double edged sword. Radio controlled model airplanes have been around for a long time, but the skill required to fly them seemed to deter careless and stupid people from getting involved with them.

darth talon
    Participant

I have three drones of my own. I like them and I don’t let them out of my eye sight.

Some drones have a RTF. Return to frequency if they start to get out of range of the remote. Or if the power is running out.

Drones are every where, they’re not going away. And they’re only going to get better with each passing generation. You can’t put the tooth paste back into the tube once it’s out.

mike_kolb
    Participant

Right… they’re not going-away. Nor are bb guns or slingshots. And I understand that there’s some work underway to develop RF jammers that can seriously disrupt the control of drones, much like cellphones can be disabled or scrambled in a limited environment.

Ain’t technology great? 🙂

duxrule
    Participant

Did you see that one in the ad for the drone store in Beaverton, the micro four-rotor that is the size of a car key fob?

missing_kskd
    Participant

I want one of the little micro ones.

Yeah, they are out there, and they are increasingly easy to build too. I expect them to become part of tech / STEM education because they present a lot of really great learning opportunities.

To some degree, there will be a little arms race. People make drones, other people make stuff to kill ’em off, or better, capture them! 🙂 And there will be some conflicts over that. But I also think more ordinary people will use them too, and it’s because the learning curve and overall applicability are both pretty sweet!

Over time, there will be size, range, speed, height, and other considerations and regulations to sort though. We’ve started that, as Skep points out. Exceed some limits, and there will be operator / owner requirements.

(which will be based on the same sorts of arguments so far unsuccessful with guns)

The person flying one in where it’s not wanted is making just as big of a mess as the person who decides to take a shot at it, both potentially doing harm. (not targeting Skep here, BTW) Not sure the shooter will think the long range, “what if I miss?” bullet landing case through, just as the drone operator likely didn’t think the dynamics of it’s flight and potential impacts through either.

Over time, stuff will happen, people and the devices will improve, and we will have these really useful things out there to tinker with.

That’s my take.

missing_kskd
    Participant

@Alfredo: I kind of wonder if a home microwave ignitron, coupled to a focused wave guide and shield for the operator wouldn’t take these things down hard? Just point, shoot and hold / track, until it falls!

Call that a stray thought, triggered by the thought of guns, bullets flying long distances. Both are seriously dangerous options… just musing. 🙂

jr_tech
    Participant

Did you see that one in the ad for the drone store in Beaverton, the micro four-rotor that is the size of a car key fob?

Was it this little Cheerson… cheap, stable, fun to fly, does nice tight little flips, and is fast enough for flight outdoors in a moderate breeze:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheerson-Cx-10-Mini-Quadcopter-Airplane/dp/B00KXZ7VKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433573039&sr=8-2&keywords=cheerson

or one of its clones

http://www.amazon.com/KiiToys%C2%AE-Quadcopter-Drone-Helicopter-Copter/dp/B00NF9PPLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433571910&sr=8-1&keywords=small+drone

skeptical
    Participant

KSKD, I have 5 acres, so pellets and paintballs won’t be going that far, besides if I get into trouble with the law, I’ll get a REAL gun and have the NRA on my side. 🙂

I like the idea of having my own drone to capture others flying around here and bringing them back to me.

duxrule
    Participant

@JR: Yeah, that looks like the stuff. Pretty cute. I bet they would be fun, especially if a little brother wanted to pester a big sister.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Airsoft machine gun!

I know Skep. That’s why I put what I did above, no worries.

paulwalker
    Participant

There does not seem to be clear regulation on drones here in 2015. That is to be expected, as this is newer tech.

However, as this tech grows, there seems to be a need to control it. Why can drones take pictures, or videos of your house in real time? Why can they take pictures of you driving out of your garage? This seems like simple invasion of privacy issues.

And can they do this on private property? No laws, except trespassing, can disallow this. And we all know trespassing laws are usually not enforced.

This could be the next new jurisdiction that needs enforcement. However, not likely to be a major concern for law enforcement. (perhaps, because they are using the same technology). A new challenge.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Paul, a good lens can resolve what your are looking at on your computer from across the street. Most of those pictures can be had easily sans the drone.

Heck, I can get on the roof of my house, take that lens and am sure I could get some great shots.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yikes! I guess I better cut down on my PDXradio.com viewing.

UPDATE: Perhaps coincidence, but the private golf course where these “droners” were playing, put up new property border markers two days later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.