Which Portland Stations Are Locally-Owned?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Which Portland Stations Are Locally-Owned?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Another thread brought this question to mind. I’ve started a list; please feel free to make additions or corrections.

AM

• 550 — Oregon Public Broadcasting
    • 750 — Alpha Media
    • 860 — Pamplin Media
    • 970 — Alpha Media
    • 1010 — Bustos Media
    • 1130 — Bustos Media
    • 1150 — Bustos Media
    • 1230 — Bustos Media
    • 1360 — Dolphin Radio LLC
    • 1450 — Portland Public Schools
    • 1520 — Bustos Media
    • 1550 — Pamplin Media

FM

• 88.3 Catholic Broadcasting Northwest
    • 89.1 Mount Hood Community College
    • 89.9 All Classical Public Media Inc.
    • 90.3 Radio 23
    • 90.7 KBOO Foundation
    • 91.5 Oregon Public Broadcasting
    • 93.5 Bustos Media
    • 94.3 Bustos Media
    • 95.1 Western Oregon Radio Club Inc
    • 95.5 Alpha Media
    • 96.7 Community Alliance of Tenants
    • 98.7 Alpha Media
    • 99.1 We Make The Media Inc
    • 99.9 Media Institute For Social Change
    • 100.7 Oregon Amateur Radio Club
    • 101.1 Alpha Media
    • 101.9 Alpha Media
    • 102.5 The Way to Salvation Community Church
    • 102.9 Alpha Media
    • 105.5 Portland Russian Media Center
    • 107.1 MetroEast Community Media

Andy Brown
    Participant

I think many of those can’t be considered local.

If you own any stations outside the Portland market, you are either regional or national, not local.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My only criterion for “local” was that the organization owning the station must be headquartered in Portland. If local requires that the stations not be owned along with any out-of-market stations, then at least the following must go:

• Oregon Public Broadcasting
    • Alpha Media
    • Catholic Broadcasting Northwest
    • All Classical Public Media
    • KBOO Foundation

Feel free to build your own list.

semoochie
    Participant

How is Bustos local?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

You are correct; Bustos is not local because they own Oregon and Washington stations outside of the Portland market, as well a station in Wisconsin.

The list has now been pared down to:

AM

• 860 Pamplin Media
    • 1360 Dolphin Radio LLC
    • 1450 Portland Public Schools
    • 1550 Pamplin Media

FM

• 89.1 Mount Hood Community College
    • 90.3 Radio 23
    • 95.1 Western Oregon Radio Club
    • 96.7 Community Alliance of Tenants
    • 99.1 We Make The Media Inc
    • 99.9 Media Institute for Social Change
    • 100.7 Oregon Amateur Radio Club
    • 102.5 The Way to Salvation Community Church
    • 105.5 Portland Russian Media Center
    • 107.1 MetroEast Community Media

I excluded the KBOO Foundation because they own two out-of-market translators. I never put KXRY on my list in the first place because their license is still held by Common Frequency. It is sad, yet not surprising to see that what remains on the list are primarily LPFMs, followed by a few independent commercial stations, followed by an even smaller number of stations licensed to educational institutions.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Amador Bustos will be disappointed. His group’s first purchase was Adelante here in Portland.
    Including Bustos Media as local is correct.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Pamplin will soon be off the list when their sale of 860/1550 is consummated.

LPFM’s must be locally owned and the licensee can not have other broadcast interests.

Bustos is not local nor can it be called a regional licensee anymore (WA and OR) since it owns a license in Wisconsin. It doesn’t operate like a local broadcaster either, since it’s programming is networked.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

What about:

100.7 SLAVIC COMMUNITY CENTER OF NW, INC
    100.7 JEHOVAH JIREH INTERNATIONAL MISSION (time share)

These are “suppose” to be local…hard to tell. Some of these stations just rebroadcast syndicated programming. Even though others are somewhat automated, they are still operated locally.

Andy Brown
    Participant

LPFM’s are committed to 8 hours of local programming per day. That local programming can be automated, syndicated or live as long as it is produced locally. In this time share case it would be 4 hours each out of their 12.

boisebill
    Participant

The Calvary Chapel LPFM in our area spends most of their air time playing recorded out of state shows and a little music. Just like their full power FMs. “It’s local because we play it locally”.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was thinking about listing the other 100.7 stations, but I hadn’t ventured far enough east to confirm that they are on the air. If they are on the air, then, I think that they should be on the list.

I did not list 96.7, 98.3, or 101.5 because these frequencies are sitting silent.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Bustos Media owns two FPFM’s in Milwaukee – Wi.
    Ls Gran syndication out of L.A. which also provides programming to other radio groups across the nation.
    Current management group corporate offices are in Camas – Wa and not in Sacramento – CA. Washington corporate taxes are less than in Oregon. There are local produced programming blocks which are also rebroadcasted in the Bustos northwest properties. Most commercials are local.
    No sabe espanol Problacime.

KXRU-ED
    Participant

RE:
    What about:

100.7 SLAVIC COMMUNITY CENTER OF NW, INC
    100.7 JEHOVAH JIREH INTERNATIONAL MISSION (time share)

100.7 SLAVIC COMMUNITY CENTER OF NW, INC – Is playing locally originated programming. Music / news / and some DJ talks. However, 100.7 JEHOVAH JIREH INTERNATIONAL MISSION (time share) is mostly religious music with occasional sermons which I have a very hard time believing that they are produced locally.

semoochie
    Participant

I was under the impression that Amador Bustos was the old Univision guy and had nothing to do with the northwest, other than the fact he owns stations here.

Andy Brown
    Participant

You might be confusing him with Luis Nogales, owner of Embarcadero which owned KINK in the 90’s. He was formerly with Univision in a big way. He tried to buy out my partner and me in the 105.9 ten year court case.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=561856&privcapId=855825

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.