What happened to this forum?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Listener_Pete 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Listener_Pete
    Participant

It’s really ugly.

outsider
    Participant

I agree. Why the change?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In another thread, Dan explained that there were technical problems with the old message board software due to the large number of posts that have collected over the years. He believes that this new platform will be more robust, and he has been working really hard to convert the user accounts and many of the existing threads to the new message board.

paulwalker
    Participant

As I mentioned earlier, and as Dan mentioned in a rare post, he was disappointed that many old posts didn’t transfer over.

Considering some of those old posts, perhaps this is a good thing.

A fresh start is just that. Maybe a way to seperate some on here from their ugly posts of the past. Not to stifle any opinion, but to let us re-boot. In late 2014, this might be just what the doctor ordered.

paulwalker
    Participant

BTW, these sites used to be called “bulletin boards”. How many messages on bulletin boards last longer than a few weeks? Just a thought.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yeah, I’m fine with that too Paul.

I honestly have a very good memory of the conversations I found notable. Good enough to go forward.

Niche boards can last a long time when the users have a common reason or familiarity. I frequent a few of this size and they endure. Being a bit off the beaten path can be a good thing.

This one could grow nicely. How it does will be as up to us as it is Dan.

Wordpress is nice software, and we get images now. I’ve not used ’em, but Andy has. We will have more relevance potential and a good platform now.

Darktemper
    Participant

Hmmmmmm…….A fresh start would be great so long as it is not the same old same old beat to death topics.

Hey everyone…..

Edit Add: After viewing the current topics I see the more things change the more they stay the same……Sigh……

Miss the old days with Littlefeet, Merkin, Brian, ReinstatePete, ChickenFoot, and a bunch more.

Darktemper
    Participant

Sorry, that should be ChickenJuggler.

edust1958
    Participant

I was finally able to get back onto this forum as a member once I reset my password.

In terms of the change and the “reset” of the history, I tend to agree that it may have been a really good thing.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I miss Lurking Grendel.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Archive.org has some snapshots (NOT every thread listed) of the old site.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120515000000*/http://feedback.pdxradio.com/

Here is a example of “Towers & Such 2012”.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121024204531/http://feedback.pdxradio.com/topic/towers-amp-such-2012

Amus
    Participant

It does seem like a good time for a fresh start.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yes. I think the call for better material is valid, and we can all bring some stuff here for a test drive.

Amus!! Nice to read you here.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I don’t know how many of you have used USENET newsgroups; in those forums, the lifespan of messages is at the discretion of the system administrator. On the systems that I used, posts were archived for 2-3 weeks at the most.

I now also vividly recall how, in the mid 1990s, my school’s news server became extremely unreliable, as the disk space couldn’t keep up with the rapidly growing USENET message traffic. This meant that often, I would finish writing a posting only to have it rejected when I hit <POST> or that pieces of threads in discussions would be missing.

We really have become spoiled.

outsider
    Participant

I didn’t have to reset my password. Lucky me, eh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.