What happened to 100.7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    greenway
    Participant

I used to be able to get it in my home near the Beaverton/Tigard line. Now I have to go north towards the center of Beaverton to get it in the car. Has its pattern changed?

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

What station call sign are you looking for? You could be in an area where you can get both the Salem translator K264AA or KQRZ-LP depending on where you sit terrain wise. They are both on the same frequency. I hear both stations on the air BTW from my location and antenna setup.

jr_tech
    Participant

At my house in Hillsboro right now I can’t receive KQRZ-LP on portable radios… it appears to be down more than 10 db from the S-9 signal that was measured in April. Snow/ice at the transmitter site? The ham repeater (KA7OSM) which I think is at the same site? is working fine.

semoochie
    Participant

You had me worried there for a minute. I thought they’d moved to 95.1!

W7PAT
    Participant

jr_tech: Yes, same site along with 4 other amateur repeaters.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Ice on the antenna definitely increases the SWR (less forward power radiated). Most modern transmitters have built in protection to shut down if the SWR gets really bad. Heated antennae are very expensive and radomes help but also cut down on efficiency when they get loaded up with snow and ice.

boisebill
    Participant

Got a little ice in Portland?
    I noticed the I405 cameras showed no traffic a few days ago.

Waynes World
    Participant

I can’t hear it at Rolling Hills at all . I wish KISN was on HD2

Borderblaster
    Participant

Wayne the iboc idiot/shill using a two-bit radio

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I can hear 100.7 in Hillsboro, but pointing of the antenna is more critical now than it used to be.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Has KQRZ-LP returned to its pre-ice storm strength? From my location in downtown Hillsboro, my observations are somewhat inconclusive.

Log Yagi/Technics tuner -> More intermodulation heard now; pointing of antenna is more critical than it used to be.

Radio Shack DX-390 -> Signal strength up to 6/7 bars obtainable (in my recollection, this is what it was before). Splatter from KXL causes problems.

Lloyds tube table radio -> 100.7 is faintly audible under KXL due to poor selectivity. In my recollection, interference from KXL was present before, but it was not as severe.

jr_tech
    Participant

At my house, about a mile north of downtown Hillsboro, it is no better than I reported on Jan 4. 🙁

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Nothing really here in SE Vancouver except KKRZ’s Ibiquity sideband mixing with a little bit of KUFO’s sideband. 95.1 hits me better (doesn’t move the meter at all but it’s there.)

W7PAT
    Participant

The signal seems to be stronger than ever. Went up to St. Vincent Hospital today and it was solid all-the-way.

jr_tech
    Participant

“The signal seems to be stronger than ever”
    Interesting! I played some more this morning with mixed results…
    On the Sony XDR-F1HD, with careful aiming of the 9element log-Yagi I *can* get the signal up to “2 bars” (reported to be 29 dBf) as before…sounds great.
    My “under the pillow radio” (Kaito KA 1102) again receives it clearly in the bedroom with the antenna all the way down!
    Mixed results with other portables in other rooms as before, but reasonable reception can again be obtained on the much used/beat up Eton E5 in most rooms with a bit of antenna adjustment. Note: the newest “wonder portable” (Tecsun PL880) sucks by comparison on the FM band. 🙁
    The big ???? is the measured S level on the Icom 8500/disk-cone antenna combination, which is down about 10 dB from previous measurement (S-9+ on 4/28/15)… reception is terrible on 100.7 while other stations measure about the same as before. I am puzzled by this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.