What are you reading?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Does anyone want to discuss something besides politics?

What books are you working on? What have you recently read? What’s on your list to read in the near future?

Amus
    Participant
    mike_kolb
    Participant

“Paul Yandell, Second To The Best” A great read if you’re into guitar players… Chet Atkins, specifically.https://www.amazon.com/Paul-Yandell-Second-Best-Chronicle/dp/076435048X

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Fermat’s Last Theorem. A promotional copy of this book was received at WITR when I was there in the late 1990s. It followed me for years until I finally read it.

Pierre de Fermat was a French amateur mathematician. It is rumored that he claimed that he could prove that the equation a^n + b^n = c^n could never be satisfied for values of n that were 3 or greater. The reason that this was a rumor was that Fermat’s son claimed that he had found one of his father’s textbooks in which Pierre had written in the margin something like, “I have a very elegant proof for this, but it is too long to fit in here.” Neither the book with this note nor a manuscript of the proof has ever been found.

For the next 360 years, the world’s top mathematicians labored to see whether they could prove Fermat wrong. The book documents the lives of those people, and in it are brilliant minds, secretiveness, betrayal, discrimination against women, people with weird personality quirks, and murder!

I’m presently reading some technical books about HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

I’m about half way through Fr. Robert Spiter’s FINDING TRUE HAPPINESS. The main premise is that there are four levels of happiness: 1) External: that which comes through the senses, pleasure. 2) Comparative: achievements, honors, a good career, a nice family, etc. and the ego fulfillment that can go along with those. 3) Contributive: going beyond one’s self and reaching out to help others. 4) Transcendent: awareness of and desire to connect with that which is perfect in Truth, Love, Beauty, etc.

According to Spitzer, the first three levels can lead to frustration and narcissism if not kept in check, and only in finding transcendcy can one be truly happy and fulfilled.

I’m also reading GRAMATICA LENGUA ESPANOLA. I just started this book and it’s really holding my interest. It’s a grammar book written entirely in Spanish for Spanish speakers. I’m happy that I’m now at a level where I can understand it and work within the language to learn about the language. Learning a second language is a lot of work and time but well worth the effort, and I would recommend it to anyone of any age. Though this is a grammar book, I don’t recommend much study of grammar in the beginning as it can lead to frustration and a lot of wasted time. It’s better in the beginning to just learn some basic concepts about grammar and focus on digesting as much simple input as possible. Grammar study can come later. Anyway, there is nothing like the reward of speaking your second language with someone whose native language it is. I’m not fluent yet, and I make a lot of mistakes, but I can have conversations with Mexican friends that I made a church, and I can at least be understood and can understand them if they are patient with me.

I’m looking forward to receiving DON QUIXOTE which I recently ordered from Amazon. I will be reading it in its original Spanish and am determined to wade all the way through it, previewing pages and looking up unknown words. I have been reading a Spanish translation of THE HOBBIT, which is by no means easy reading for me at my level, but since I’ve read it at least ten times in English I know the story well and can make good guesses at unknown words. Don Quixote will be a much greater challenge I’m sure.

I read as much as possible in Spanish, but next on the list to read in English is Thomas Sowell’s APPLIED ECONOMICS as a follow-up to having previously read his BASIC ECONOMICS.

Broadway
    Participant

Heaven…by Randy Alcorn…a Portland author.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/heaven-randy-alcorn/1100319191

Alfredo_T
    Participant

De-cluttering the house is one of my motivations for reading some books that I have had lying around for years. My intent is to drop them off at one of the book boxes around town (such as Little Free Library) when I finish reading them.

Brianl
    Participant

A biography of Edward R. Murrow.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Would it happen to be the one by A.M. Sperber?

Brianl
    Participant

I don’t believe so, Alfredo. I’ll check when I get home.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Ricky’s “Science Interactions” volume 2 (teacher version), 1994 edition, that I think he actually mentioned in a similar thread some years ago.

ISBN 978 0028268057[9]

Do you remember the first book you read on your own?

Mine was THE SPACE SHIP UNDER THE APPLE TREE.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.