What a Donald Trump Rally is really like

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things What a Donald Trump Rally is really like

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    radiodork
    Spectator

Interesting perspective on a Trump Rally. And it just goes to show you that the Protesters are far more dangerous than Donald Trump supporters. What would this world be like if the media was ACTUALLY FAIR AND BALANCED?? The media is a total joke.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Dream on dork. The camera doesn’t lie. The monsters that support trump are plentiful. See for yourself:

Langston
    Participant

If Trump comes to Oregon perhaps Dork could attend a rally and report back. Don’t forget to wear your Trump University sweatshirt.

Amus
    Participant

I assume those sweatshirts come in brown?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Donald Trump, and I quote, “loves the poorly educated”.

Dork’s found his candidate.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Watch the movie Idiocracy. It’s about 10 years old but the script is coming to life as we move forward.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I’ve seen it.

I used to think it was funny.

Trump *is* President Camacho.

Trump supporters are the guy in the front row of the movie theatre laughing hysterically at people farting.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This Tucson, AZ Trump rally did not stay a peaceful exchange of ideas for very long:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/man-beat-protester-tucson-trump-rally-air-force-article-1.2572348

Neither the puncher nor the “punchee” fit the expected stereotypes.

I wish that the Trump campaign would come to Portland. However, I think that RadioDork and other Trump supporters would be in the minority. They could legitimately claim that they are the holders of a minority viewpoint. I would hope that if there were a Trump rally here, the protesters don’t do anything stupid because the news cameras will be there.

I am not implying that Trump supporters are noble in any way. Has anybody else seen the recent hoopla about Trump volunteer Grace Tilly backpedaling on her and her husband’s white supremacist ties, along with the criticism that PBS has come under for running a story about the couple without investigating them further?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I wish her good luck on the back peddling. She’s covered in white power iconography including the Celtic cross and the bolted “88” tattoos which stand for (racist) David Lane’s 88th precepts and/or the eight litter of the alphabet (H) standing for Heil Hitler. The latter seems to be more commonly accepted/understood.

Once you’ve emblazoned your skin with Nazi tattoos I think it’s safe to say that anyone reasonably intelligent may doubt your protestations of not harboring racist intent.

Trump is backed by dozens of well-known white power/racist organizations whom have whole heartedly thrown their support behind his candidacy. Not since the time of David Duke have these people dared to show up on the national stage and attempted to influence a gubernatorial or presidential campaign. Does that mean everyone who supports Trump is racist? That’s an assertion that would be difficult to prove. However, it’s factually supportable and not at all a stretch to say, “Not everyone who supports Donald Trump is racist, but all racist support Donald Trump”. See also, (ignorant and misdirected) white grievance. Which, along with inarticulate anger, are the two driving cores of this ridiculous and dangerous campaign.

Re: the criticism of the PBS story, I don’t take them too hard to task for not highlighting the issue more clearly. What’s the main point of critique, really? That they should have either directly confronted the Trump supporter and asked her about her racist White Power tattoos and what that might say about her support of Donald Trump? (I think that’s pretty clear, actually.) Or alternately, that they should not have included her in the story as it shows Donald Trump in a poor light? (Putting aside for a moment the facts are kind of the facts; it’s not PBS’s fault it accurately portrays the character of herself, her family and friends, and their support of Trump.)

If you support Donald Trump, you’re supporting the favored candidate of racist hate groups. That’s gotta feel good.

radiodork
    Spectator

Donald Trump has never endorsed a KKK member and that is a fact.(he has disavowed them numerous times) On the other hand Hillary Clinton did endorse a former KKK member -Senator Robert Byrd who she called a “Friend and a mentor.” Not only was Robert Byrd a KKK member but led his local clan chapter. Byrd joined the Klan at the ripe young age of 24 — hardly a young’un by today’s standards, much less those of 1944, when Byrd refused to join the military because he might have to serve alongside “race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds,” according to a letter Byrd wrote to Sen. Theodore Bilbo at the height of World War II. He had come of age as a member of the Ku Klux Klan and cast a “no” vote on the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 that prohibited discrimination against African Americans and others.

Andy Brown
    Participant

More bullshit from dork.

Trump has a long history of saying and doing racist things. It’s not really surprising that he’s won the support and praise of the country’s white supremacists.

Here’s a running list of some of the most glaringly racist things associated with Trump.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Dork,

That talking point was completely, totally, debunked in another thread (and one you were actually posting in!) some weeks ago. What happened, champ? Get knocked in the noggin?

Here’s an excerpt from Snopes that neatly and accurately encompasses the willful false comparative:
    The meme criticized the media for ignoring Hillary Clinton’s connection to former KKK member Robert Byrd, while simultaneously criticizing Donald Trump’s comments regarding former Klan member David Duke. While this is technically true, there are several circumstantial differences.
    First of all, Trump declined to condemn Duke and the Ku Klux Klan in February 2016, making the story current and newsworthy, while the above-displayed photograph of Hillary Clinton was taken more than a decade ago (the video, too, dates back to 2010). The lack of current coverage isn’t because the print media are ignoring the association, but because the photograph and video are each several years old.
    Second, while David Duke is no longer a member of the Ku Klux Klan, he is still an active member of another white supremacist organization, NAAWP: the National Association for the Advancement of White People. Duke, a prominent Holocaust denier (although he describes himself as a “Holocaust exposer”), also has a more-than-passing interest in politics: the former member of the Louisiana House of Representatives has run for the U.S. Senate, governor of Louisiana, and President of the United States.
    Duke has spent his life founding and supporting various white nationalist and white supremacist groups. Byrd, by contrast, was a prominent member of the Ku Klux Klan at one time but then spent the ensuing decades of his life publicly disavowing and repeatedly apologizing for his earlier actions.

When Bryd died, he was praised by the NAACP. You know, because he had publically and repeatedly disavowed his former racist viewpoints. The exact same reason Hillary Clinton was praising him. I.e. For NOT being a racist douche-bag.

So, tell us, Dork. Are you simply really stupid and unbelievably credulous or just massively dishonest? It’s one or the other. I have a guess. By all means, end the suspense.

radiodork
    Spectator

Even Worse than Hillary endorsing a former KKK member was Bill Ayers giving an interview at the Chicago Trump rally, and he supports Bernie.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Ah, it’s stupid. Got it.

Vitalogy
    Participant

What explains the rise of Donald Trump?

There are many potential answers, but over the course of the campaign two competing theories have emerged. The first holds that Trump’s message appeals to working-class white voters who’ve seen their incomes stagnate, manufacturing jobs vanish, and inequality skyrocket in recent decades. The root cause of Trumpism, in this view, is economic insecurity. The other, blunter theory is that Trump’s fans flock to him for the same reason elites view him as an existential threat to American democracy: His open appeals to racist, white nationalist sentiment.

Both of these theories have some truth to them. But polling data suggests that racial resentment is the more important factor.

When analyzing this survey data, we threw in a number of statistical controls for individual race, age, income, education, partisan identification, political ideology, level of political interest, church attendance, perceptions of economic performance, and opinions about free trade and whether government should provide fewer or more services. That was meant to isolate the extent to which respondents’ views on race affected their views on the election.

On just about every measure, support for Trump increased along with the measured racial animus. As the chart below shows, increased levels of racial stereotyping among white respondents — as measured by belief that black people, Muslims and Hispanics are “lazy” or “violent” — strongly increases support for Trump, even after controlling for other factors. The opposite is true, however, when it comes to support for Marco Rubio. Among white respondents, support for Rubio decreases with belief in racial stereotypes

The same story is true for racial resentment. The more troubling the respondents’ answers on the four resentment questions were, the likelier they were to support Trump. There is no such relationship between racial resentment and support for Marco Rubio or the other major Republican contenders.

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/22/yes_trumps_secret_weapon_is_racism_why_bigotry_not_the_economy_is_the_biggest_factor_driving_his_rise/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.