We’ve been waiting for this!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brianl
    Participant

… and here it is.

Trump’s taxes have been leaked

Andy Brown
    Participant

You beat me by a few minutes!!

“The tax returns that Mr. Trump has long fought to keep private tell a story fundamentally different from the one he has sold to the American public.“

Brianl
    Participant

Andy, this is VERY damning.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The best part is that it will consume Monday’s news cycle, both on line, over the air and print.

The second best part is that it appears that what most surmised is true, drumpf is cheating at taxes like he cheats at everything else and although it will have an impact it is difficult to gauge how large an impact that will be.

After all, his base doesn’t care, and although there aren’t many on the fence about who they are going to vote for, it’s fundamentally bad publicity and there is some kind of limit as to how much bad publicity a candidate can get and not lose something. It gives Joe even more ammunition for his debate strategy and you can be sure Joe’s team are jumping on this big time.

Andrew
    Participant

Actually, I think this is a distraction. I don’t think his taxes will have any impact on the 2020 election. The more people are talking about this, the less they are talking about 200,000+ Americans dying of Covid and how pathetic Trump’s response has been to it. That’s what people really care about.

paulwalker
    Participant

Andy is correct. His base won’t give a crap as we have seen over and over. The best result would be some who have not decided may be swayed. Unfortunately this is apparently a small voter percentage.

radiogeek
    Participant

Add this to the pile of feces to fling. Whatever it takes, and in whatever form. Perhaps those having trouble paying their tax bills will see that Trump sees them as “suckers and losers” also.

I hope Biden shows no mercy, and pummels Trump into the dirt for everything possible. Just the image of Trump being unable to answer and stand up for his record can convince some who don’t like supporting a losing team.

Ed

PS … it’s about time for the “Have you no sense of decency” moment for Trump. Eventually the horror of Joe McCarthy was stopped by someone calling it the way it was. Time to call out Trump on live TV when he can’t hide behind his henchmen and henchwomen.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by radiogeek.
    lastday
    Participant

This just helps confirm what everyone already knew. It will barely cause a blip in the polls because it’s not a surprise bombshell.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yes and no. This is big not because it will change voters within drumpf’s base, but because of the additional facts it brings to the table. Not all of this was known and it matters because of its timing. This would be like being in a foxhole in a war with your ammo running low and all of a sudden there is quality replenishment in large amounts.

Among the key findings of The Times’s investigation:

Mr. Trump paid no federal income taxes in 11 of 18 years that The Times examined. In 2017, after he became president, his tax bill was only $750.

He has reduced his tax bill with questionable measures, including a $72.9 million tax refund that is the subject of an audit by the Internal Revenue Service.

Many of his signature businesses, including his golf courses, report losing large amounts of money — losses that have helped him to lower his taxes.

The financial pressure on him is increasing as hundreds of millions of dollars in loans he personally guaranteed are soon coming due.

Even while declaring losses, he has managed to enjoy a lavish lifestyle by taking tax deductions on what most people would consider personal expenses, including residences, aircraft and $70,000 in hairstyling for television.

Ivanka Trump, while working as an employee of the Trump Organization, appears to have received “consulting fees” that also helped reduce the family’s tax bill.

As president, he has received more money from foreign sources and U.S. interest groups than previously known. The records do not reveal any previously unreported connections to Russia.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I doubt there is much surprise anywhere about the tax disclosure and I agree it will have little affect on the election. His taxes don’t impact the voters, and they only care about what has a bearing on them. Usually it’s the economy, this time you have to add in the Covid response.

Most of us assumed he was BS-ing about his money all along and that’s why he was trying to withold his tax information. No big surprise here.

It just helps him to dominate the news cycle for another week. I hardly see anything about Biden on TV, the channels are so busy trying to destroy Trump.

The debates, followed by the Supreme Court confirmation will push the tax thing off the media fairly fast.

lastday
    Participant

All probably true. Unfortunately this is already baked into the cake.

We need something new, like he shot someone. Oh wait, never mind, nobody would care.

I hope I’m wrong but I doubt I am.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I think this matters. It shows on paper that he’s a fraud.

At a bare minimum it’s a huge loss for Trump as he’s bent over backwards to keep these returns secret, for obvious reasons.

Also, who does he owe hundreds of millions in loans to? My bet is there’s a Russian connection.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And, it sounds like there is more info yet to come out.

lastday
    Participant

What’s especially disappointing to me is NYT says they obtained the documents anonymously and they do not intend to publish the documents. Hopefully that will change.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The worst part of this for drumpf is that although he will continue, as Deane points out, being the focus of the news cycle, this is not the narrative he wanted the media to be covering. It will be a few days off of Covid coverage, which he probably sees as a good thing, but you know, if you ever studied materials science you know that almost every substance has a fatigue point which leads to structural failure. Some are calculable and some are not. One can only hope.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.