Well whaddya know? Bush 43 has a more favorable rating than BO

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Well whaddya know? Bush 43 has a more favorable rating than BO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    RobP
    Participant

…according to a new CNN/ORC poll: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/03/politics/george-w-bush-favorability-ratings/index.html

And as icing on the cake, the same poll found more Americans blame Obama for the mess in Iraq than they do Bush.

Fire away!

Vitalogy
    Participant

WWE has high ratings. Ratings mean nothing. I’ll judge Obama vs Bush based on the value of my 401K and income in 2008 vs now.

And as for Iraq. Bush started it. It will forever be his fault no matter what. Blaming Obama for Iraq is clearly mentally ill behavior.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Not surprising when there are so many people attempting to rewrite history.

paulwalker
    Participant

Well, this would not be the first time a low-rated President increases in popularity over the years. I won’t go back too far, but Nixon, Reagan, and both Bushes have increased in populatrity years after their terms. I won’t offer my personal judgement here, just offering up facts. Perhaps Obama will fall into this statistic as well.

Vitalogy
    Participant

It’s called having a short memory.

paulwalker
    Participant

Nope no short memory, just facts. All these Presidents score better today than when they left office. Even Carter and Ford to a lesser extent.

missing_kskd
    Participant

It’s also about the Republican party. We’ve seen it congeal around the really crappy elements, which does paint a nicer picture of times past.

Reagan would not be accepted as a Republican today, for example.

missing_kskd
    Participant

That said, Vitalogy is spot on. Many people do have short memories.

I find it simply amazing how some events surrounding ISIS aren’t even on the radar, but for Jon Stewart reminding people how it actually did all go down.

Our media sucks across the board on this aspect right now.

People tend to remember some specifics chapter and verse where they resonate with their own policy preferences. They don’t tend to remember anything about things that don’t resonate with their policy preferences and this dynamic is more intense on the right than the left.

The left does it, but not anywhere to the same degree. Lefties will very regularly tear into one another about all sorts of stuff, and that’s because more actual history is in play. Clinton made some big mistakes, and he’s even gone on TV and owned those!

Will we ever see meaningful commentary about Iraq from Bush?

Interestingly, our bat shit, but very entertaining friend Glenn Beck, did deliver that commentary. And a lot of the party dissed him for that too, while the left kind of shook their head in wonder at a lucid moment they would all love to see more of.

paulwalker
    Participant

True, but the Reagan legacy still holds today. Yes it was a different era, and yes, there was a more moderate stance in many areas, and less so in others, but I would find it hard to argue that the US suffered greatly under Reagan, or Bush 41. The problems began during the end of the Clinton Presidency, and into the early Bush 43 administration. So, lest I say it, they are both to blame, as was congress.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Pretty lame, Rob. Your own article says “Historically, the further a former president gets from the day-to-day drama of Washington politics, the warmer the country’s feelings toward him have become. Take Jimmy Carter. Just after he lost the 1980 election, a CBS News/New York Times poll found just 39% of voters had a favorable view of him. Now, many years later, a majority views him positively.” In fact, Nixon’s ratings sunk from 60% approval down to 24% during his presidency. It wouldn’t take much to climb above that, now, would it. Of all the people who have ever held any elected office in the USA, few have been able to elicit anything approaching the levels or intensity of hate, contempt and caricature reserved for Nixon, not even Dubya. Nixon was a cunning, evil motherfucker. Dubya was just stupid. Reagan was a puppet. You conservatives just hate the facts about the Obama Presidency. There is no scum scummier than a conservative in denial. Oh, wait, there is. It’s called a bible thumping conservative in denial, but that’s another thread.

Brianl
    Participant

…but I would find it hard to argue that the US suffered greatly under Reagan, or Bush 41.

A LOT of the suffering that we had in 2008, moving until the economy has gotten back on track recently, is directly tied into the mass deregulation, trickle-down economics, and outsourcing that Reagan facilitated and escalated. We are paying now for what he did 30 years ago.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

Apples and oranges comparison. Job approval vs popularty

RobP
    Participant

>>There is no scum scummier than a conservative in denial. Oh, wait, there is. It’s called a bible thumping conservative in denial, but that’s another thread.<<

A little harsh, eh Andy? You need to get out of the basement once in a while and take in some sunshine, otherwise you’ll end up like this: rabid left-wing dog

Vitalogy
    Participant

That rabid dog looks more like a conservative than a liberal.

For instance, do you care to compare the following?

2009 401K/IRA balance vs 2015?
    2009 Home value vs 2015?
    2009 unemployment rate vs 2015?

By all metric measures, the USA is better off today than in 2009 when Obama took office.

So bitch and complain all you want, Obama has done a great job on all fronts, with NO scandals.

NoParty
    Participant

Unemployment is down, the stock market is up, rich people are making more money than ever, we’re still under the the Bush tax cuts and business profits are at an all time high.

Republicans can’t say that shit about “DUH”bya EVER!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.