We have officially entered The Twilight Zone

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things We have officially entered The Twilight Zone

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Donald Trump, as recently as December of last year said (well, Tweeted) “I told you @Time Magazine would never pick me as person of the year despite being the big favorite. They picked person who is ruining Germany”.

The super powered dumb + whining of that missive aside, it’s now a disproven prophetic by our new dullard in chief. As you know, he was named Time’s Person of the Year. And then, of course, promptly distorted the reason he was chosen.

Here’s Trump’s interpretation:

“It’s a great honor, it means a lot, especially me growing up reading Time Magazine”. (Editorial note: I highly doubt it.)

Here’s the actual reason Trump was chosen per Time’s editor in chief:

“For reminding American that demagoguery feeds on despair and that truth is only as powerful as the trust in those who speak it, for empowering a hidden electorate by mainstreaming it’s furies and live-streaming it’s fears, and for framing tomorrow’s political culture by demolishing yesterday’s, Donald Trump is Time’s 2016 person of the year”.

I’m sure someone will explain to him at some point, (or maybe they won’t, apparently Mr. Trump doesn’t like to hear anything but mindless agreement and vapid aggrandizement) this was not meant as an honor. Infamy and its attendant influence can earn one that nomenclature as readily as altruism.

The Time interview itself is very hard to read. He, literally, sounds like he has no idea what he’s talking about during large swaths of it. It’s not reassuring. He also claims he had nothing at all to do with dividing America. His rationale?

“When you say divided States of America, I didn’t divide them. I’m not president, yet. So I didn’t do anything to divide”, Trump stated apparently devoid of ironic intent.

That response makes George W Bush sound absolutely erudite in comparison.

He went onto decline to condemn the actions of the President of the Philippines who is, literally, murdering people in the street. Oh, and still refused to accept the judgment of U.S. Intelligence that Russia had in fact been behind the hacking of the DNC and the Clinton campaign in an effort to bolster his presidential run.

“I don’t believe it. I don’t believe they interfered”, Trump rebutted without evidence.

His belief matters more than facts provided by experts. Think about *that* for a moment.

We are in such trouble.

edselehr
    Participant

For Trump, any publicity is good publicity.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I feel as if we were living in 1984 with history in the process of being re-written to suit the plans of Trump, people in his administration, and possibly the Russian government. I say this because up until very recently, Republican and conservative political rhetoric opposed all taxes. This morning, I happened to catch The Laura Ingraham Show (KUFO 970 AM), wherein Laura and her guest were extolling the virtues of tariffs. They stated that between Lincoln’s Presidency and WWI, the US grew from having an economy half the size of Britain’s to having one larger than that of Britain, France, and Germany combined, thanks to tariffs. They lauded Trump for his stated plans to impose tariffs.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

No argument. Trump and many of his supporters are unapologetically Orwellian.

You can already see/hear the pivot of Trump and Co. taking credit for the economy they’ve inherited from President Obama. The same one, you may recall, they’ve been claiming with little to no factual support for years now, is flailing.

When words no longer have meanings and facts become malleable at the direction of the powerful, (credulously accepted by the powerless) you’re a small hop to the left from an authoritarian regime.

I’m not feeling particular great about the collection of extraordinarily rightward leaning military personnel he keeps assigning to the highest levels of our civilian government, either.

Some months ago I opined on a thread that Trump’s acceptance speech in Cleveland strongly reminded me of an ugly cross between a Nuremburg rally and The Two Minute Hate.

Prescient.

Andy Brown
    Participant

No it’s more like the Outer Limits then the Twilight Zone. drumpf controls the horizontal, the GOP controls the vertical, and good men will continue to die like dogs trying to make a living in the real world. drumpf and the GOP are diametrically opposed on many important issues, so far apart in fact that meeting in the middle may not be possible. It’s at least two years of tug of war with the Democratic Party in the middle . . . siding with drumpf on some issues and siding with the GOP on a few (very few).

Oh, wait, here comes baconturd to tell us all what a great president drumpf already is,

paulwalker
    Participant

Yeah! Trump to stay aboard on The Apprentice! Our next President will executively produce a realty tv show! What a win for The United States Of America!

Enter Rod Serling here…”in the twilight zone”….

Donald Trump to Remain Executive Producer on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ (EXCLUSIVE)

I’m “certain” this won’t take any time away from the ISIS threat, the North Korean threat, the Global Warming threat, or any other minor threats that may come up.

Langston
    Participant

The next four years is going to be a reality tv show, complete with commercials.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Idiocracy is coming soon to a country near you!

Langston
    Participant

I have lived through wars,assassination and attempted assignation, a presidential resignation, and an impeachment, but nothing that compares to this.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The good thing about the Twilight Zone & Outer Limits, we all knew the show would be over in 1/2 to 1 hour, but with Trump, it will be at least a 4 year series, with weird episode after episode. Also, in this series, the destruction will be real. No use giving previews of next day’s episodes, as we have no idea what that will be. As one newsman stated lately, he just hopes we have a country left, if his presidency goes on for 4 years.

Langston
    Participant

Expect technical difficulties.

skeptical
    Participant

Expect everything to be in black and white.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

His cabinet continues to fill up with millionaires, billionaires, an alarming number of ex-military personnel, (several of whom have been described by even their rightward tilting military peers as “extreme”) along with a collection of spectacularly unqualified (but unquestionably loyal!) individuals who are no conceivable way appropriate choices to lead the departments they’re being assigned.

The new head of the EPA has been suing it for decades and is an unapologetically bought and paid for tool of the fossil fuel industry.

One of the most regressive figures in criminal justice reform and an individual at the center of decade’s long issues with racial animus is the new Attorney General.

A man with zero governmental experience, zero experience in managing a business much less a large bureaucracy, a man who believes a host of provably untrue conspiratorial nonsense and who himself admitted he has no business accepting a cabinet position, is the new leader of HUD.

The former head of Goldman-Sachs, and a consummate Wall Street/Washington D.C. insider will now head up Treasury.

And on and on. It’s a slapdash mess of extreme right wing, and largely intellectually debunked thought, with a heaping helping of the worst sort of insider cronyism that Trump (false, of course) claimed to oppose and ran against. It’s a government for the rich, by the rich.

Meanwhile The Donald continues to hold campaign style victory rallies in smaller municipalities, still featuring the same kind of divisive and substantively empty language, he utilized during election season while doing little to any of the hard work that’s actually required at this time. It’s been widely reported he continues to skip daily intelligence briefings, continues to spend a significant amount of his time embroiled in personal business concerns that are often in direct conflict of interest with the office of the presidency, and continue to behave in the same thin skinned and childish manner as the President-elect as has throughout the campaign and the entirety of his public life.

As is no surprise to anyone who’s paid the slightest bit of attention to the man, he’s clearly more invested in self-adulation than in learning the business of the country or attempting to earn the respect of anyone whom did not vote for him.

Nature abhors a vacuum; Donald is clearly not that interested in the business of being the President. Establishment Washington is gleefully rushing in to manage the actual business of the country, directed towards their own self-interest of course, while Trump continues to behave like an imbecile.

He’s not going to do any serious work on behalf of anyone other than himself and the loyalists. You’ve been conned, cons.

George W Bush will look like Franklin Roosevelt in comparison when this reality television shit show has finally ended.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Trump sticking with his TV show means the effective President will be Pence.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.