WE 96.3 Adds To Its Staff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KWEE (WE 96.3)/Portland Adds To Its Staff

ALPHA MEDIA Top 40/Rhythmic KWEE (WE 96.3)/PORTLAND has added to its team with the addition of Promotion Director, STARCHILE, On-Air Talent, SARAH G., and Producer/Mixer, DJ HEAT.

STARCHILE joins KWEE after previously being at crosstown iHEARTMEDIA Top 40/Rhythmic KXJM. SARAH G is a PORTLAND native and was MISS BLACK OREGON 2015. DJ HEAT has spent the last six years at TOWNSQUARE MEDIA Urban WBLK/BUFFALO and he can also be heard on DASH RADIO.

RadioFreq
    Participant

What’s causing the terrible “reverb” on 96.3 and 95.5?

DarkStar
    Participant

What’s causing the terrible “reverb” on 96.3 and 95.5?

Unfortunately that is the side effect of the Nielsen (formerly Arbitron) PPM audience measurement encoders.

I don’t know if they are running PPM enhancement hardware too (Google search for the Telos Voltair), but that could make it sound more pronounced as well.

In theory, they might be able to adjust the regular audio processing a bit to not make it as noticeable but maybe they already have…

You’ll hear a similar sound on pretty much all the major commercial broadcasters in Portland and it will end up driving you nuts! 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s easy to fix. Don’t listen to the major commercial broadcasters. They have little to nothing to offer anyway.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It’s too bad that they’re not deliberately trying to bring 1960s style Top-40 reverb back. 🙂

cbaravelli
    Spectator

A gimmick to increase apparent loudness that did not last. Reverb the announcers but leave the commercials and music alone.

RadioFreq
    Participant

95.5 and 96.3 are like metallic echo chambers. The music is no longer enjoyable. How is this being allowed to continue? Aren’t people going to turn away from radio, when the audio has such irritating artifacts?

cbaravelli
    Spectator

KWEE & KBFF digital “noise” is apparent on KXL also. All are owned or operated (KWEE) BY ALPHA MEDIA. Internet audio seems clean.
    Now for Alpha’s “Jammin’ 95.5” resurrection on 96.3. Alpha has always expounded having live performers in the market. Two East Coast hip hop announcers doing voice tracks from New York City in a West Coast rap market is a low cost not. 3 Horizons (3 Cities – Horizon Broadcasting) is licensee. Alpha operates KWEE under an LMA with first option to buy. 3 Cities failed to earn sufficient ratings after a year. With 2.8 3.2 M purchase price, Alpha must establish momentum but it is not being local. That is expensive. What advertising there is after 3 months are media group buys.
    There are differences between hip hop and rap. Former being less controversial and having more commercial appeal. But it is boring and exploitative. KWEE does not serve its community. Music mix is too narrow although “monster” contemporary rhythm hits are in rotation. West coast “wiggers” buy and listen to rap. Alpha is playing safe and cheap to see if purchase price is realistic.

washnotore
    Participant

This From Radio Insight

Alpha Media’s new Rhythmic “We 96.3” KWEE Portland jumps past iHeartMedia’s “Jam’n 107.5” KXJM in its second full book 2.1-1.9

For Part of November 2016

radiodork
    Spectator

1075 needs to play a lot more of the newer rap songs if they want to stay competitive. I heard “gangsters paradise”by coolio on Jammin 1075 the other day and had to laugh. That song sounds totally out of place.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard the artifacts under the music on 95.5 and 96.3 today. I would not have known that they were there had I not been tipped off, due to “digital sounding” effects being something that I would expect to hear as a creative element in the genres of music that these stations play. Remember, the young demographics to which these stations are programming have grown up listening to MP3s and various forms of streaming audio.

I then tried 101.1 and 970, and I noted that the artifacts are present on those stations, as well. I think that the artifacts are more noticeable on spoken word programming.

msndrspdx
    Participant

While I was listening to my TuneIn Radio app on my iPad the other night, a banner ad for We 96.3 appeared on my screen. The tag line: ‘We play REAL Hip-Hop!’ What was I listening to at that moment? All classical WFMT out of Chicago. Sounds like a shot across Jammin’s bow to me!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.