WAY-FM / Portland to purchase KWEE-FM

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio WAY-FM / Portland to purchase KWEE-FM

This topic contains 94 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

Ludicrous. KINK and KXL are money makers. They aren’t going anywhere. WE is an experiment. Controlling WE is part of a defensive strategy, not an offensive weapon. C’mon Semoochie, get real.

semoochie
    Participant

If it were ten years ago or so, I would agree with you completely but the News/Talk format is generally resisted by Gen-X and that’s virtually everyone under 55. Being on FM helps “time spent listening” but it’s still the same over 55 listeners. I haven’t seen KXL’s 25-54 ratings, so I can’t say for sure that this relates to them but it will eventually and probably sooner than later. KINK is one of the few viable AAA stations left and its under 55 audience continues to slip. Again, I haven’t seen their 25-54 numbers either but they’ll soon be in the same situation if they can’t connect with Gen-X. I know you don’t believe in ratings but they make a pretty good general guide for something like this. On the other hand, WE has the format to themselves and there are NO age issues. They would probably do better with a more competitive signal. This way, they’re probably going to lose about half their audience.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I’ve largely said my piece, so you’ll hear very little else from me. However, We 96.3 does have a direct format competitor. That is KXJM “Jammin'” 107.5.

semoochie
    Participant

WE knocked Jammin’ out of the format in 2017. It’s Classic Hip-hop. They play few currents and not very often. It’s probably the best thing that ever happened to them. Their ratings(at least 6+)are consistent and probably older than WE. Think in terms of comparing Top 40 with Oldies, when Oldies weren’t all that old.

Broadway
    Participant

Apparently it’s happened…from radioINSIGHT….

Way-FM Completes Portland Purchase And Frequency Shift
    By Lance Venta On Oct 3, 2019

96.3 Way-FM KKWA We 102.9 KWEE PortlandWay Media has closed on its $3.5 million acquisition of 96.3 KWEE West Linn/Portland OR and has moved its programming there under new KKWA call letters.

The Christian AC “Way-FM” programming had been heard on 104.5 K283BL/105.9 KFBW-HD2 until August when rimshot 104.5 KXXP White Salmon WA signed-on. KXXP has been carrying the Way programming in a transition phase while the 96.3 sale closed.

With Way-FM taking over 96.3, Alpha Media has completed its move of Hip-Hop “We 96.3” to 102.9 K275CH Gresham OR.

semoochie
    Participant

Yesterday, WE was still promoting 96.3, with an occasional mention of the move to 102.9. Knowing their fate, it seems to me that it should have been consistently referred to as WE102.9, except when a mention was made of it moving there from 96.3. It’s almost as if the timing caught them off guard! I expected them to constantly refer to the new frequency and run a continuous loop a day or two before the Way-FM change. None of that happened. They may lose more people than expected because of it.

Broadway
    Participant

It is finished—

semoochie
    Participant

Just one more thing about WE96.3: For whatever reason, their 6+ ratings, in the last two reports, were half of previous results. I’m guessing that this is because they altered their programming in some way, such as dropping a popular morning show, or the listening panel was changed significantly. In a related matter, I understand that KINK just got their HD back on the air after a period of construction and it occurred to me that this might have had something to do with the holdup of Way-FM moving to 96.3.

e_dawg
    Participant

Is the 104.5 K283BL translator still on the air? Also, since KXXP sign-on. Will 104.5 K283BL have to shut down or change frequency because of KXXP?

Broadway
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When I drove on the Beaverton side of the West Hills about two weeks ago, I noted that the signal on 104.5 was weak and multipath-laden. This leads me to believe that the translator has shut down and that I heard KXXP.

fieldstrength
    Participant

The translator is indeed shut down. The transmitter in the rack upstairs at Skyline is off.

semoochie
    Participant

…for quite some time.

semoochie
    Participant

Broadway
    Participant

Is KXXP now off? Can’t hear them now in the valley…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.