WAY-FM / Portland to purchase KWEE-FM

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio WAY-FM / Portland to purchase KWEE-FM

Tagged: 

This topic contains 73 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author

fieldstrength
    Participant

WAY-FM is on a commercial frequency and have a commercial license. They, therefore, are allowed to run commercials. The originating station (KFBW-HD2) is commercial, and 104.5 is in the commercial band. That’s what you’re missing.

Just because a station is religious doesn’t automatically make it a non-comm.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

According to FCCinfo.com, KXXP is a commercial station. However co-channel K283BL (the translator heard in Portland) is:

Facility Type: FM TRANSLATOR
    Class: D, A Noncommercial educational operating with no more than 10 W

I don’t know whether these announcements are being run by the parent network (in which case, they would be playing on some non-commercial stations, such as WAYM) or if individual stations are inserting them into the programming.

jr_tech
    Participant

But according to the FCC site they run 99 watts and are listed as relaying a commercial station.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=140415

fieldstrength
    Participant

Seems like that reference is an old record from back when 104.5 K283BL relayed WAY-FM’s non-commercial station from Longview.

According to the FCC database, K283BL is actually currently silent.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I just heard the legal ID, which included KFBW-HD2, K283BL, and (I think) KXXP. Immediately following that was an announcement that stated that 104.5 is not as strong as it used to be in West and Southwest Portland. I assume that this means that the translator is off the air (although I am receiving a fairly good signal in Hillsboro).

semoochie
    Participant

They have pledge drives, in fact, they’re having one right now! It’s non-commercial. That’s actually what I was going to talk about: I thought they would have “raised heaven and earth”, so to speak, to get onto 96.3 before the pledge drive started! They were authorized by the FCC on July 22nd. They have 90 days from that date to finalize the transaction.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

According to Wikipedia, the Way-FM organization is non-profit. Funding itself through a pledge drive is acceptable. Way-FM doesn’t own all of the stations that carry its programming. The FCC’s site shows that K283BL is owned by Way Media, but KXXP (the commercial station) is owned by Jackman Holding Company, headquartered in McLean, VA. The main studio address for KXXP is in Mclean.

Joe
    Participant

Under current operation, Way-FM Portland is legally a commercial station so can run traditional, “hard sale” advertising. Now when the 96.3 transition happens, the question will be will they go Non-Comm when they own the main frequency. In which case, they would need to pull all “hard sale” advertising.

semoochie
    Participant

They already put that in the application. This is not a local operation. The ads are coming from the program source, in Franklin TN, a non-comm operation, that seems awfully liberal with its underwriting announcements!

Joe
    Participant

Way-FM Portland has a studio in Vancouver complete with automation and local drop-ins. So while yes, most programming comes from the network out of Franklin, they can drop in local commercials.

e_dawg
    Participant

Would it be a conflict of interest? Look what happen to Cesar Chavez Foundation radio stations. They sold 2 of their non commercial radio stations in Phoenix and vasilia Ca and move their signal to the commercial band because they got a heavy fine from fcc for running commercials instead of underwriters.

semoochie
    Participant

As has been noted elsewhere, the 102.9 translator is now rebroadcasting We96.3. There was an on-air announcement saying that 96.3 was about to become a Christian station and We was moving to 102.9. If they hadn’t announced it, I would consider it to be possible misdirection but WITH the announcement, that would be hard to explain to their listeners. I suspect that the simulcast will remain for a couple of days and be replaced by a continuous loop on 96.3, directing people to 102.9. I still think they should have moved to either 101.1 or 101.9. They’ll still have to address those issues in a few years.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I should have applied Occam’s razor. Putting “We” on 102.9 as a simulcast of an HD-2 program on a different station seems like the logical choice to me.

W7PAT
    Participant

I heard KXXP all the way down to Salem yesterday. It has quite the signal.

semoochie
    Participant

Alfredo, my issue is that there appears to be more future in We than either KXL or KINK. KXL seemed to be the obvious choice by moving it back to AM and also use the translator. KINK has spent quite a few years promoting itself as Kink.fm and encouraging people to listen online. It isn’t that much of a stretch. Both stations have age issues that need to be addressed soon, if it’s even possible. We has none of these problems, only the weakness of its signal, which will apparently be even weaker.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.