WAY-FM / Portland to purchase KWEE-FM

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio WAY-FM / Portland to purchase KWEE-FM

Tagged: 

This topic contains 73 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • Author

chessyduck
    Participant

KXXP-FM 104.5 (COL White Salmon WA) emittingfrom Mount Defiance, Oregon is listed at 4.9 kw ERP at 963 meters HAAT. As a C1 at that HAAT they could run 5.5kw ERP (equivalent to 100kw).. It appears they’re leaving a 600-watt “buffer on the table”. Any guesses why that would be? RF exposure to hikers?

The KXXP 104.5 certainly has better coverage of populated areas than the old KCIV in The Dalles – actually on the Washington side if I remember.. Of course the old KCIV now sits as an EMF/KLove station licensed to “Covington” but targeting Seattle..

There are two photos of the Mt Defiance transmitter site at :

(Intro)

Hiking Mt Defiance, Oregon – The Hangriest of Gorge Hikes

(Close up)
    http://wanderlusthiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/011643003048b9a748fc076da834ec6ea5e246fdf7.jpg

(An others if you hunt with Google Maps).. It must be tough delivering fuel up there…

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Any guesses why that would be? RF exposure to hikers?”

No need to guess. They are short spaced to KLSW COVINGTON, WA, CH. 283C2, KFIS(FM) SCAPPOOSE, OR, CH. 281C2, KDUK-FM FLORENCE, OR, CH. 284C AND KRSK(FM)MOLALLA, OR, CH. 286C1.and to avoid overlap they chose to lower power a little which in fact does not effect their coverage much at all. Their first CP had them at 5.3 kw, also less than class maximum for that height, but they had to move up the tower a bit, so that’s how they ended up at 4.9 kW. when they amended the first CP with the second filing. This is common when you are at super high elevations AMSL.

Read all about it:
    http://bit.ly/2Hei3Pz

semoochie
    Participant

I tuned into 104.5 and the phrasing used was “later this summer”, so it won’t be long now.

Broadway
    Participant

So Portland WayFM will have 2 signals covering the market…wonder how long the LMA is with 104.5 from the gorge ?

semoochie
    Participant

As I recall, the protected contour only covers about half of Gresham. It seems to me that they made a tactical error. After they put KXXP on the air, they should have applied for a silent STA and put the translator back on, so the west side would know what was going on with 96.3. Then, when they moved to 96.3, they could run a continuous loop on the translator referring listeners to their new home. After a week or so, they could turn off the translator and HD station feeding it and turn KXXP back on. This way, anyone on the west side probably just assumes the station is gone.

chessyduck
    Participant

It’s official now. Listing #2466 at RadioTVDeals.com has KXXP listed for sale at a sweet $850K.. It’s categorized as “Metro Portland” under the “Oregon” listing.. I doubt there is any studio equipment involved in the transaction given its WAYFM duties in prior times…

Andy Brown
    Participant

“As I recall, the protected contour only covers about half of Gresham.”

“Metro Portland”

This is not going to work anywhere near as well as a typical rim shot, because it isn’t a rim shot. La Zeta, for example, has line of sight into the metro from Mt. Hood. This proposal does not. Just because the 60 dBu contour reaches Gresham may fool an unsuspecting buyer that doesn’t perform due diligence isn’t much of a selling point at all. The terrain is all pretty high between the site and the metro and without doing a study to confirm it, it appears from seat of the pants logic that unless your up high in a building in downtown Portland or live on the east slope of the west hills, whatever signal snakes through all the mountains will be too high up in the air to receive. The only exception I see to that is whatever signal propagates down the Gorge, so some folks in the most northern areas of NE, N, and NW Portland may be able to receive it.

chessyduck
    Participant

Agreed. Try Nautel’s website that offers up a TIREM-based RF planning tool that uses space-radar derived terrain points to estimate who really gets coverage. Sometimes tbe only way to make these KXXP situations work is with a network of GPS-synchronized on-channel boosters… not a cheap installation when you add in all that extra tower rental…

I hear La Zeta Government Camp all the way in McMinnville..

DexterE
    Participant

I ran a coverage map on Nautel, based on 5KW and a 6 bay antenna…

Seems like Vancouver and North Portland will be in play, but not much of anything else…

https://singledadhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/KXXP-01.jpg

semoochie
    Participant

It sounds pretty good on 205 before it’s blocked by Mt. Scott.

semoochie
    Participant

Regarding my ongoing theorizing of what might happen to We, I recently became aware that KINK may not be in as good of shape as I previously thought. With that in mind, depending on the amount of erosion, it occurred to me that they could move KINK to 102.9. That’s the translator that’s being freed up by The Game, apparently dropping their simulcast. They could have on air prompts to purchase an HD radio or listen to their stream.

W7PAT
    Participant

Drove the Mt.Hood loop on Monday, never lost KXXP and even has a fair signal out here in Aloha.

semoochie
    Participant

You just need to get far enough back from the west hills.

semoochie
    Participant

During my incessant monitoring of Way FM, I’ve noticed that some of the underwriting announcements appear to be actual commercials! I heard one that mentioned specific products, what they cost and to come to the store. How is this not a “call to action”? Am I missing something?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Some years ago, I noted that one of the non-commercial religious stations was running underwriting announcements with verboten (call to action) language. I posted about it on this board. Your ears are not lying to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.