WatchTV gets FCC OK for ATSC 3.0 experiments

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio WatchTV gets FCC OK for ATSC 3.0 experiments

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Jbpdx
    Participant

KVDO 3.1 is off real channel 49. Anyone know what’s planned for this? I know it’s a resurrection of a former Salem TV channel from the early 70s.

msndrspdx
    Participant

The original KVDO promoted itself alternately as “K-Video” and “TV3”. They had studios on Portland Road in NE Salem which were prominently decorated with their nice-looking TV3 logo. (I don’t have an image handy; one from the Salem Statesman archives or TV Guide might be nice. YouTube might have some footage, too – some early KECH-22 footage is there.) It originally ran old movies and syndicated fare; its signal in those analog days covered Salem pretty well but didn’t quite reach Portland, although some folks on the hilltops did report getting it.

Oregon Public Broadcasting later bought it, running an alternate OPB/PBS schedule. At one point, it ran a weekly Spanish language news roundup, followed by an old Spanish language movie, the first such effort in the Portland/Salem market at the time. One guy was unhappy about the OPB buyout of KVDO. One night, he went to the tower and cut the guy wires to the tower, knocking it down and putting Ch. 3 off the air. Shortly after that, OPB moved the station to Bend, where it now anchors their central Oregon network, feeding several repeaters in that area.

Now in the digital era, KWVT is apparently now in the process of creating a new KVDO out of one of their subchannels. Wonder if they’ll revive the old KVDO TV3 logo? And we still don’t know what they’re planning to do with it. Given all the recent movements among subchannel networks and the upcoming repack, it should be interesting to see what happens. The negotiations for rebroadcast on Comcast and other systems around the north valley and metro area should be something to keep an eye on.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

msndrspdx
    Participant

Way to go, Randy! Thanks. Where did you find it?

Broadway
    Participant

The owners are into gobbling up old historic calls from the area thus KVDO and KSLM…any more guys?

semoochie
    Participant

As I recall, KVDO had to run low enough power, as to not cause interference to channel 2 anywhere, including Salem. 18.5KW rings a bell. I could receive it albeit with a lot of snow. That’s where I first saw Stu Martin before he moved onto Channel 6.

mwdxer1
    Participant

When I lived in NW Portland in the 70s, KVDO was pretty grainy, but after I moved out to Hillsboro and had a straight shot down the valley to Salem, it was pretty decent. 9 & 13 Eugene were also received. 7 was local-like.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

“The K station furthest east is Philadelphia’s KYW-1060, which is still on air, and the W station furthest west was Fairbanks’ WLAY, which operated in the early 1920s.”

Perhaps, but I would put the likelihood of such a thing happening in 2017 as almost nonexistant. The probability of getting a call sign that’s already in use by a major TV station, which msndrspdx suggested, is a little bit less than zip.

“KWTV would work, too.”

No: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWTV

“KWVT is apparently now in the process of creating a new KVDO”

No they aren’t. Oregon Watch TV Inc. barely exists as it is in the northwest never mind the lower midwest.

I mean seriously dude, do you even bother to do any actual research before you get on and start posting these statements and coming off a fool?

I’d throw KWTP (“K Watch TV Portland”) out there but chances are it’s still assigned to some Coast Guard boat that was decommissioned during the Carter administration.

yahmit
    Participant

I noticed that KVDO 3.1 was broadcasting QVC tonight. I hope they are not wasting the signal on this, especially when you can get it on 22. It would be great if they could pick up Charge since it isn’t receivable in Salem, or another diginet.

Other old Salem calls could be KSKD or KAPT for any more sub-channels they decide to add.

msndrspdx
    Participant

QVC is also on Comcast, but they take it off the network, rather than from Ch. 22. Are they using a KVDO ID?

washnotore
    Participant

So how do the two streams of QVC Stack up.
    While using TSReader for comparison look.

KVDO 03.1 (RF 49 with four streams)
    480i 16×9 Aspect Ratio 1.6 Mpbs

KPXG 22.5 (RF 22 with seven streams)
    480i 4×3 Aspect Ratio 1.4 Mbps

The KVDO feed has more Macro Blocking then KPXG.

washnotore
    Participant

The plan for ATSC 3.0 might require HDMI 2.1 cable if broadcasters want to do 120hz programming, but that might take a while as companies have not yet released TV’s with that spec. It might be an eventual possibility, but the initial plan is 1080p with HDR (which will likely be an improvement over the current ATSC 1.0), but boxes might be able to offer some kind of motion handling to down convert the 120hz signal to 60p.

Then again next year some TV makers are going to be putting in ATSC 3.0 chips in their sets and LG company has some in Korea. LG is definitely putting them in next year for the US. Then again there are plans for yet another codec to supersede H.265 called AV-1 which would likely make 8K 120P programming possible. Then again 4K is likely going to stay for a while along with 60p. Though HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p 120 without any difficulties. I could see some TV’s getting HDMI 2.1 but only like one input in 2018 as the chips need to get out there or even on the high end sets.

HDMI 2.1 cables along with ATSC 3.0 broadcasting would also pave the way for the new MPEG5 codec. Which is still in development stage.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Are there any of the Watch TV stations even on the air? Still a CP Out here (Astoria) for 28.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Somebody should compile a list of DTV stations, owners, and status in the Portland/Salem market, including ownerships. Might help figure out what’s going on around here.

Meanwhile, XETV San Diego/Tijuana has announced that they will close on 31 May. The CW programs they carry will move to another station in San Diego as a new subchannel. I presume that the newscasts will move, too, but I haven’t seen confirmation of that yet. (See above post for details.) XETV is one of two Mexican-licensed stations that are planning to close this year to make room for the repack on the US side of the border. The Telemundo station there is the other and they’ll move to the San Diego NBC station as a new subchannel.

washnotore
    Participant

The FCC recently canceled the LPTV license for KJYY-LP/26. The UHF channels from 23 to 29. Are starting to look wide open. Add in also VHF low channels 2 to 6. As the Portland area starts ramping up to repack.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.