WatchTV gets FCC OK for ATSC 3.0 experiments

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio WatchTV gets FCC OK for ATSC 3.0 experiments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    washnotore
    Participant

WatchTV gets FCC OK for ATSC 3.0 experiments

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/watchtv-gets-fcc-ok-for-atsc-3-0-experiments

Frist it was KPTV ch 27 transmitting a UHF NTSC analog signal.

Then OPB gave us KAXC/35 to broadcast the first ATSC 1.0 signal.

Now comes Watch TV. The FCC has given its blessing to WatchTV to broadcast ATSC 3.0 signals on RF channels 16, 20, 35 and 38 in the Portland, Oregon, area for the purpose of gathering information on the new standards.

DarkStar
    Participant

Someone has to be the first to stick their neck out there and if WatchTV can get equipment support and other broadcaster support it should mean a lot to them (especially being a small operation).

Congratulations to them and here’s to the next generation of broadcasting!

msndrspdx
    Participant

The article says that this project will give them a chance to replace the current 1.0 transmitters, as well as adding new 3.0 transmitters for the experimental broadcasts. And Sinclair is involved, too. Maybe WTV will get some program content as part of the deal. It’ll be interesting to see what they end up carrying on 1.0 and 3.0 respectively. Maybe WTV will pick up subchannel services not currently seen in Portland. And we still don’t know what KGW will do with KGWZ yet. Comcast, I assume, might carry the 1.0 transmissions as part of the experiment. Wonder when the WTV channels will finally go on air? They’ve been mostly dark for quite awhile.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Watch TV has an active CP out here (Astoria) on ch 28 they tested with shopping back in the 90s in analog. Then went off. The CP is now digital, but never returned. Are any Watch TV outlets even on the air? I would guess the 3.0, would be, so they could add more sub channels and make more money.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Someone has to be the first to stick their neck out there”

Fox actually broadcast the 2016 World Series in Cleveland using ATSC 3.0.
    The broadcast used an ATSC 3.0 exciter from GatesAir for transmission, ATSC 3.0 receivers and antennas from LG Electronics, real-time HEVC and Dolby AC4 encoders from Harmonic, and signaling/announcement metadata, IP stream generation, ATSC 3.0 analysis and system integration support from Triveni digital.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2016/11/how-atsc-3-changes-broadcasting-for-the-better-its-not-just-4k/

Andy Brown
    Participant

Because cable penetration far outnumbers OTA in terms of subscribers/viewers, what the cable industry is thinking is of very great importance. When TV went digital, cable went digital but not in the same way. One can not help but wonder how this will play out for the large majority of cable households, again, the dominant segment.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/cable-ops-have-atsc-30-questions/163355

msndrspdx
    Participant

Does anyone know if Watch TV has a website or Facebook page? RabbitEars doesn’t list a website for WTV at all, so I’m wondering if anybody has found one. And if there is one, I’m surprised that RabbitEars hasn’t reported its existence.

The four WTV RF’s (RabbitEars reports five) would be tuned to the same virtual channel, I assume. Keeping in mind that the repack is coming, where would that virtual channel be? My guesses would be Ch. 1 or Ch. 4. KWVT’s new 17.3 presumably would output as Ch. 3 and would likely carry the KVDO calls, so I think that Ch. 4 might be a good candidate. Ch. 1 would make sense because the 3.0 signal (which will simulcast with the 1.0 signal) is experimental.

Each of the WTV towers has its own set of call letters. It might make sense to have new ones assigned to all of them. I’d suggest WTVP-DT. That would stand, of course, for Warch TV Portland.

In addition to the CP for Astoria (RabbitEars doesn’t list CPs generally), RabbitEars lists one LPTV each in Grays River, WA; Coos Bay, OR; Eugene, OR; Roseburg, OR; Medford, OR; and Klamath Falls, OR, along with two LPTVs in the Bend/Redmond/Prineville, OR, area. All of them are listed as showing two streams of programming, but we know that data is incorrect.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Last night I entered 27.1 on TV and it redirected me to channel 3.1 and showed call letters KVDO.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Re: WTVP, I believe all call letters West of the Rockies still have to start with K.

msndrspdx
    Participant

KWVT and KSLM websites appear to be down. If they’ve reset 27.1 as 3.1, does that mean they’ve dropped the KSLM calls? Is 3.1 showing Retro TV? 17.1 KWVT should be YouToo network, 37.1 KPWC should be Azteca (in Spanish). KWVT has had a Facebook page for awhile; haven’t seen any updates from them for awhile. KWVT and KPWC are on Comcast – no changes there, apparently.

washnotore
    Participant

Sounds like one of our Full Power or LPTV Stations is going to move to RF Ch. 27.

If that is the case. There are some TV sets out there. That don’t correctly display PSIP channel 27. When there is another station broadcasting on the real RF 27.

RF 27 was used by OPB Prior to 2009 as there DTV channel. If that is the case, then RF 27 is coming back into use again soon.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I’m getting Retro on 3.1
    It says KVDO 3.1 test
    Exact dupe of 27.1
    This TV doesn’t show real channel

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

For msndrspxd’s consideration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTVP

Also the only valid “W” calls that exist this far west of the Mississip’ are on LMR, GMRS and HAM radio (e.g. WPAE218) and sometimes TIS stations. There are a few broadcast stations in the Midwest that have them (e.g. WDAY) but this isn’t the midwest.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The K station furthest east is Philadelphia’s KYW-1060, which is still on air, and the W station furthest west was Fairbanks’ WLAY, which operated in the early 1920s.

The full history of call signs is quite laborious, however let it suffice to say that the military and international treaties are largely involved. Also, with respect to the anomalies in the midwest, they date back to 1923 when the K-W line was moved to the Mississippi River from its original location.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/602-land-of-the-k-home-of-the-w-americas-radio-nations

msndrspdx
    Participant

Thanks for the background, Andy. To that summary, I would add that AK, HI and Guam all get K’s, while PR and the USVI get W’s.

My suggestion for WTVP was based on the idea that WTV’s 3.0 signals are experimental, so it should have a unique ID. KWTV would work, too.

Since there are LPTV’s around the land with eight or 10 streams, such as the one in San Jose, CA, I’d think that WTV would aim for that many. Be interesting to see who offers to provide programming to them. With no website or Facebook page to follow, that makes it tougher to gauge how much progress they’re making. If anybody at Watch TV is reading this, you are encouraged to join up to this page and keep us posted. The FCC didn’t mention a start date, but I’d imagine that they’ll start sometime this summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.