Washington State Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Washington State Radio Happenings

This topic contains 392 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Young 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 393 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

CENTRO FAMILIAR CRISTIANO has applied for a Silent STA for FM translator K296BP/EPHRATA, WA due to problems with its program source.

Chico
    Participant

Format change today in the Olympia market, KGY-FM drops a weird Hot AC format for Country: http://www.southsoundcountry.com This in direct reference to Craig’s post two steps up. THAT didn’t take long!

kennewickman
    Participant

KTBI now there is an old callsign with history…Tacoma Broadcast Incorporated..the precursor to 850-KTAC. For years a picture on the wall of our station group over here…Triathalon,Deschutes,AMFM and finally NNB. Engineer Bill Glenn recovered it from the transmitter building of the old KTAC site in S.E Tacoma ( McKinley Hill )…I wanted that picture soo bad..but others had dibs on it…I think Bill Still has it..Bill did ( and may still do ) consulting work for the fellow who now owns KTBI in Ephrata..he worked in the late 40s for that station before it was KTAC which he later bought !! I forget his name..was it Tom Smith ?/ Something like that…anyway..KTBI was on something like 1590..I think..

The picture was of KTBI’s tower located on top of a 8 story building along Pacific avenue in downtown Tacoma. Across the steet from the old Puget Sound National Bank building. The transmitter was located ACROSS the street from the Tower !!! At the studio site…and no less…the FEEDLINE was buried UNDERNEATH Pacific avenue !!! yep…and ran UP the building to the top on the other side…LOLZ…It was a ladder line feeder too…BOY…a real engineering job it was there !!

kennewickman
    Participant

This Morning KSSR 95.7 FUN FM -Walla Walla-Tri-Cities flipped from Oldies to ” CITIES 95.7 “…..” Where its all about the Variety “..they also have a liner that says…CITIES 95.7 is a lot like the ” KEY “..( a competitor 98.3 KEYW)..” but we have a much larger library…and…we dont play as many commercials and we dont waste your time with all those chatty Djs..”

First time over here I have heard of a station naming another competitor in a produced liner.

Sounds like Recurr/Retro 40 to me . Oldest in the library so far is Rock 40 1992 ( All I wannah Do, Sheryl Crow) .

RadioBuggie
    Participant

..yes, but do the ‘chatty Djs’ waste ANYBODY’S time?…

🙂

semoochie
    Participant

This sounds like a recipe for disaster, on the first point alone!

Matt Jones
    Participant

…A point of correction (because I’m nerdy that way 😉 ) “All I Wanna Do” by Sheryl Crow was a single in 1994, not 1992.

semoochie
    Participant

I was going to mention that, if for no other reason than it throws off the whole “Which song is oldest?” question, but decided to think about it overnight.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

ACTION PAGES, LLC has closed on the sale of Talk KWDB-A/OAK HARBOR, WA to SATNAM MEDIA GROUP INC. for $35,000.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

The Federal Communications Commission has issued Notice of Unlicensed Operation to: BRUCE DAVIS WILKINSON, SUANE STEPHEN MOORE, and ROBERT F. WHITLOCK (98.5 FM, OLYMPIA, WA)

Master of Disaster
    Participant

This thread started 11 months ago with the rumors of a Spokane format change to CHR; 11 months later two other sites are reporting yet another Spokane station (96.1) has made the jump to the format:

Clear Channel Brings Hits To Spokane

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=209182.0

This means Spokane’s 92.9, 96.1, 96.9, and 105.7 are in-town CHRs, with the format also present on the 104.5 rimshot licensed to Newport, WA.

Both also report 1280 AM dropped Progressive Talk for Classic Country.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KZBD Spokane Revamps Entire On-Air Lineup

Changes took place this week at MAPLETON Top 40 KZBD (NOW 105.7)/SPOKANE, as the station has begun offering live programming 24/7. The new lineup kicked off today, according to PD TOBY HOWELL who told ALL ACCESS, “It became increasingly important to our company to put live and local talent on the air in SPOKANE for our listeners and advertisers to get the most out of the radio station.”

Night jock B MEGA will now have to wake up around the time he used to go to sleep, as he has been tapped to host the MEGA MORNING SHOW. Alongside MEGA will be PROMO PAT, who joined the station last year. KENDRA ROHR has been hired as technical coordinator of the program.

MAPLETON VP/Programming MIKE SKOT said, “B MEGA has grown on this station and is now the fan favorite of not only the listeners but our clients as well. We searched all over the country for the right morning show and we found it in our own backyard. We couldn’t be happier.” The MEGA MORNING SHOW will also be heard on their sister Top 40 stations in CHICO, CA and MEDFORD, OR.

New to middays is ANGELA BARNES, whose previous stops include CITADEL Rhythm KYWL (WILD 103.9) and QUEEN B Rhythm KEZE (WIRED 96.9). As with MEGA, she’ll also be simulcast in CHICO and MEDFORD.

Afternoons stay the same with DJ KOWAX, who adjusts his hours to 3-7p. Lastly, nights will now be hosted by DJ ONE, a.k.a. JUSTIN MARTIN, whose previous stops include PROACTIVE Rhythm KQQB (LIVE 104.5)/SPOKANE. He has been at NOW 105.7 since the station started two years ago as a weekend talent. His program will be simulcast in CHICO as well.

HOWELL commented, “It’s a full overhaul of the station that will create a much stronger relationship with SPOKANE due to the live bodies that will operate the station and be on the streets and doing events. This is what is most important to the success of this station, to be able to give back to the community. I don’t know of another way to do that at a high level without live talent to interact with the listeners and clients of NOW 105.7. It’s an exciting time for this radio station.”

Craig_Adams
    Participant

[SEE ANOTHER NEW STORY ABOVE]

This from All Access:

KJOX/Yakima Flips To Classic Country

INGSTAD RADIO WASHINGTON, LLC Sports KJOX-A (ESPN RADIO 1390)/YAKIMA, WA has flipped to Classic Country as KTCR-A (THE TRACTOR), reports the YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC.

OM DEWEY BOYNTON told the paper that ESPN gave 90 days’ notice of terminating the station’s affiliation contract in JANUARY, but the station did not wait until the 90-day mark to make the format flip, doing so YESTERDAY (3/28).

He said that ESPN “said they were going in a different direction. I can’t remember their exact words but they said they were canceling our contract and were working on another deal or had another arrangement.” He said that he expected ESPN is working on a deal with the crosstown TOWNSQUARE MEDIA cluster.

semoochie
    Participant

It looks like everyone will have to be on their toes, now that there are four, count ’em, FOUR CHRs in Spokane!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thought this was relevant since about half of CBC’s signals cover Washington.

This from All Access:

CBC To Downsize Staff Over Three Years

Public broadcaster CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORP. will adopt aggressive measures to cope with a $115 million cut in federal funding, the VANCOUVER SUN reports. Among them include cuts of 800 jobs in the next three years, employee pension revisions, putting commercials on RADIO 2 and ESPACE MUSIQUE — but not RADIO 1 — and finding ways to save rent.

Of the 650 full-time CBC media jobs being eliminated, 475 will be lost this fiscal year, 150 jobs in the 2013-2014 fiscal year and the rest the year after. That’s about 9% of the CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORP.’s total workforce. In addition, 150 management jobs will be eliminated.

In the press release, the CBC also noted that it was “moving away from” shortwave and satellite in favor of the web, as well as eliminating the Russian and Brazilian-language services to concentrate on French, English, Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.