Washington State Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Washington State Radio Happenings

This topic contains 392 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Young 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 393 total)
  • Author

Scott Young
    Participant

It just dawned on me that the situation in Washington on 1520 isn’t too much different from 1550. I’ve never understod the justification for the congestion on 1550 either. San Francisco’s 10kw aimed right at us makes nighttime reception of KKOV a challenge here, and I’ll bet the combination of interference from KKOV and from San Francisco makes reception of KRPI challenging in its market (Ferndale/Bellingham.)

Pat
    Participant

When I visited Vancouver Island this past spring, I was receiving KKOV and KRPI at night but KKOV was the winner in signal strength.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KDRK To Run Jockless Until Nov. 7th, Announce Lineup For The Mountain

MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS Country KDRK/SPOKANE PD SHARON BONDS checked in with ALL ACCESS after its relaunch as NEW COUNTRY 93.7 THE MOUNTAIN YESTERDAY (10/11) (NET NEWS 10/11). She tells ALL ACCESS they will be running jockless until NOVEMBER 7th. Right now, there is also commercial free hours from 9a to 11a and 4p to 5p.

Their lineup at this point includes SYBIL & JAMIE in the morning, DAVE SPENCER on middays, BRYAN SCOTT for PM drive and CUMULUS SATELLITE’s THE JEREMY SHOW from 7p to midnight.

KDRK is also now utilizing the REELWORLD ONE COUNTRY JINGLE PACKAGE and its new Station Voice is BRIAN LEE, Imaging from VANILLA GORILLA.

BONDS said, “It’s time to give the station back to the community; and give as well. Every (potential) listener is the reason we’re here. We pledge to bring back a truly local radio station that super-serves each person and advertiser that we are blessed to have.”

The new website is online now at http://www.937themountain.com.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Another Deal For Former New Northwest Tri-Cities, Yakima Stations

REVITALIZATION PARTNERS, the receiver for NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, has found another buyer for 12 stations and a translator in the TRI-CITIES and YAKIMA, WA markets, selling the group to JAMES INGSTAD’s INGSTAD RADIO WASHINGTON, LLC for $13.5 million. INGSTAD acquired $16,827,078.83 in first priority secured claims against NEW NORTHWEST from CIT LENDING SERVICES CORP. and made the $13.5 million offer as a credit bid. The FCC previously rejected a $6 million deal that would have sold 12 stations to TOWNSQUARE MEDIA and spun off 11 stations into a trust.

The stations include Oldies KARY-F (100.9 CHERRY FM)/GRANDVIEW, WA; Talk KBBO-A (TALK 980 K-USA)/SELAH-YAKIMA; Adult Hits KRSE (105.7 BOB FM), Country KXDD, Sports KJOX-A (ESPN RADIO 1390) and Top 40/Rhythmic KHHK (HOT 99.7)/YAKIMA; Sports KALE-A (960 ESPN), and Country KIOK (94.9 THE WOLF)/RICHLAND; Classic Hits KKSR (95.7 FUN FM)/WALLA WALLA; Classic Rock KEGX (EAGLE 106.5)/RICHLAND; Talk KTCR-A/KENNEWICK; and Top 40 KUJ-F (POWER 99.1)/BURBANK plus FM translator K232CB/PENDLETON.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Talk KIT/Yakima Gets FM Simulcast

TOWNSQUARE MEDIA Adult Hits KQMY (MY 99.3 FM)/YAKIMA, WA has flipped to a simulcast of Talk KIT-A. “1280 reaches over 28,300 listeners each week yet many residents of the YAKIMA VALLEY don’t turn on the AM band. News Talk on the FM band will add a new audience and increase the coverage of this heritage brand,” said GM CHERYL A. SALOMONE.

paulwalker
    Participant

Talk on FM will increase in the next decade. No real surprise there.

What is more surprising is KIOK being sold again. This great signal was ruined in 1996 when Triathlon (long gone), decided they had a better idea for heritage KIOK. As a longtime PD of KIOK, (OK95), and this really is not meant to sound bitter, but the frequency has simply never recovered. Never.

Bringing back some form of OK95 would probably do better than anything they could put on this frequency in late 2011.

RadioBuggie
    Participant

Right on, Paul – Couldn’t agree more –

kennewickman
    Participant

That has been talked about a lot by others here in the last number of years , Paul…bring back the old OK95 in some form and in different medium.

I missed this string…just saw Craig’s listing about the sale of NNB Tri-Cities , Yakima via a holding company…ya interesting isnt it..

I hope they make a go of this now…the new owners…these properties especially the Tri Cities…need something very positive ..and that monster signal on 94.9 needs some vindication..crimanitly I remember taking requests from People in COLORADO..on Saturday Afternoons..LOL..amazing..

paulwalker
    Participant

Thanks, Al. I know there have been on-line attempts to bring back OK95. I certainly wouldn’t be interested in that, but to take the actual frequency back to this identity would indeed be fun. I have some ideas, but am certainly hesitant to share them here. However, if anyone in the new ownership would like some historical perspective, or more, please contact me at paul@klce.com. Just for fun, at this juncture, because I’m in a very good place now!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Filings with the FCC, ACTION PAGES, LLC is selling Talk KWDB-A/OAK HARBOR, WA to SATNAM MEDIA GROUP INC. for $35,000.

Chico
    Participant

Amazed they could get 35K for this, actually amazed that they are even still on the air at all. Daytimer. 500 watts. COL has 90+ additional available stations, per radio-locator, and having been there many times this I don’t doubt.

Friend of mine and I made them an offer some years ago of 75K- our thinking being that we would give the thing a try with a nostalgia format and positioning that swung for the San Juan Islands as well- a BIG pocket of monied retirees and the only other place the signal went. Owners at that time wanted us to commit to 10 years of broadcasting- but our plan was to try it for 3 and it it didn’t fly $$$wise to take it dark and build houses on the transmitter site. Since it has been more than 10 years, I guess they got what they wanted.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Ron Harris Out At Cherry Creek/Tri-Cities

CHERRY CREEK RADIO/TRI-CITIES, WA OM RON HARRIS exits as his “position was eliminated.”

HARRIS tells ALL ACCESS, “I was there since FEBRUARY 2010, and also was Program Director and AM Drive on Classic Rock KRKG with that group. I can be reached at ronharris2000@yahoo.com.”

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Walla Walla Gets A New Top 40

KUJJ/WALLA WALLA, WA flipped format right before the holidays, saying goodbye to UNITED STATIONS’ Smooth Jazz Network and hello to DIAL GLOBAL’S “HITS NOW” Top 40 programming. The station’s new moniker is “THE NEW ZOO 102” and the calls have been changed to KZIU.

Chico
    Participant

Craig- Actually caught All Access with a tiny boo boo. COL for KUJJ (now KZIU) is Weston, OR. Not Walla2, WA.

Just to be confusing, KUJ-FM COL is Burbank, WA and KUJ AM is Walla2.

And, even better, KUJ AM and KUJJ-FM are co-owned. KUJ-FM is another outfit. Now KUJ-FM and the former KUJJ-FM are direct top 40 competitors.

Yikes.

field_strength
    Participant

KUJJ has always made it difficult to listen to KINK east of Hood River in the Gorge, and that has always surprised me. The terrain must really be a disadvantage to KINK and a big advantage to KUJJ for the signals to mix that far west. I guess it’ll be Katy Perry instead of Dave Koz cutting in over the top of KINK on my road trips from now on!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.