Washington State Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Washington State Radio Happenings

Viewing 12 posts - 391 through 402 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    DimensionZ
    Participant

No wonder KSTP in St. Paul Minnesota is so easy to DX–albeit not booming or anything-right off my small portable with no external or tuned coil antenna

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The other factor that might make KSTP easier to DX is that a Canadian station on 1500 went off the air years ago. In Hillsboro, OR, I weakly receive KSJX San Jose on 1500.

Scott Young
    Participant

KSTP is the farthest station I can regularly receive these days. Runner up is 990 CBW in Winnipeg. In the interest of staying on topic, both stations are receivable in the state of Washington.

chessyduck
    Participant

RadioTVDeals.com has a new listing for an FM property in the Tri-Cities market. Further details, if any, are behind the website’s paywall.

I am sure there are plenty of owners who would like to escape this over-radio’d market…

paulwalker
    Participant

Tri-cities over radio’d? Uh, yes. There are five CHR radio stations within my earshot. However there are no classic hits stations. What is up with that?

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

…and just up the road in Yakima there are 3 oldies/classic hits stations, but no AC, and the hot AC is just a translator.

paulwalker
    Participant

It is almost as if owners have lost the ability to identify their potential listeners. Kids today are not generally getting their music from radio, but us boomers are. Why we are not being serviced is puzzling. Or not so much as it is a well known fact that older demos don’t buy any products. (Sigh).

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by paulwalker.
    semoochie
    Participant

From what I understand, statistically, when a person reaches a certain age, it becomes harder for advertising to reach them, to a point where it costs more than they can make on the sale. It doesn’t matter how much a person makes, if they are unwilling to change brands or try something new. This is not to say that older people don’t do that, just not in large enough numbers to make it profitable.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, semoochie I have been hearing this argument for decades. I still really don’t buy it but then again I don’t run a sales department in radio today. (Thank God)

semoochie
    Participant

Paul, let’s say that you’ve been drinking Coke and/or Pepsi for your entire life. If someone comes up with another cola, are you likely to try it and if so, are you likely to buy more, even if you find nothing wrong with it? If your first awareness of the product is from a radio ad, is that enough to induce you to try it?

Notalent
    Participant

I’m with Paul on this one… This concept may have been true 30 or 40 years ago but folks in their 50’s and up are not the same now as they were even one generation ago.

The situation we have now is that traditional media are no longer the primary way to find out about new products to try.

Upper demo consumers are much more savvy with the internet now… And are at the same time still the highest users of radio and TV… It could almost be flipped, Radio no longer reaches as many teens and easily influence-able young single people with disposable income.

Therefor targeting upper demo’s with disposable income seems like it would be a no brainer in this day and age. Especially for categories like food/beverage, entertainment, etc… More than just ED and male pattern baldness so typical of the state of the art on say Sports Radio for instance.

But then again we no longer have actual sales people in the media, we have order takers from the big agency buyers who are ran by millennials and gen ex’ers who still hold on to the “get off my grass” stereotype of the upper demo.

semoochie
    Participant

The “Procter and Gambles” of this world still do the studies and come to the same conclusions.

Viewing 12 posts - 391 through 402 (of 402 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.