Washington State Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Washington State Radio Happenings

This topic contains 392 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Young 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 393 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FORKS BROADCASTING INC. has filed for a Silent STA for KFKB-A/FORKS, WA due to siting problems related to zoning and tribal issues.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

INGSTAD RADIO WASHINGTON, LLC has closed on the sale of Country KXDD, Sports KBBO-A-K283BX (1390 THE FAN), Top 40/Rhythmic KHHK (HOT 99.7), Hot AC KHHK-HD2-K291BV (BIG 106.1), Alternative KHHK-HD3-K295BT (106.9 XFM), Classic Rock KRSE (105.7 THE HAWK), Spanish Sports KTCR-A (ESPN DEPORTES RADIO)/YAKIMA; Classic Hits KARY-F (100.9 CHERRY FM)/GRANDVIEW-YAKIMA; Country KIOK (94.9 THE WOLF), Classic Hits KALE-A-K291BS (BIG 106.1), and Classic Rock KEGX (EAGLE 106.5)/RICHLAND; Sports KJOX-A (1340 ESPN RADIO)/KENNEWICK; Top 40 KUJ-F (POWER 99.1)/BURBANK-PASCO; and AC KKSR (95.7 MORE FM)/WALLA WALLA to STEPHENS MEDIA GROUP for $10.725 million.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

SPOKANE TRANSLATOR ASSOCIATION has filed for a Silent STA for KFVS-LP/SPOKANE, WA while it moves.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

JODESHA BROADCASTING, INC. (Hot AC KJET (105.7 THE JET)/RAYMOND, WA, temporary antenna at reduced power due to problems with support structure).

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

The JERALD EDSON ISENHART TRUST has closed on the sale of K287BT/CHELAN, WA to BLUE SKY BROADCASTING for $15,000. The buyer plans to move the translator to rebroadcast News-Talk KSPT-A/SANDPOINT, ID.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

ALEXANDRA COMMUNICATIONS, INC. (News-Talk KUJ-A/WALLA WALLA, WA, reduced power due to transmitter problems).

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

CECILE ANDREWS has closed on the K276CY/MANSON-25 MILE CREEK, WA to ICICLE BROADCASTING, INC. for $1. The translator will rebroadcast Variety KOZI-F/CHELAN, WA. The deal was filed in 2016 but the consummation notice was only filed on WEDNESDAY (11/28)

Borderblaster
    Participant

KCPQ viewers want to know where Q13 News meteorologist Katie Boer has gone?

paulwalker
    Participant

Arrested for assault after friends said she was too drunk to drive. Q13 said “bye bye”.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

As of sometime in January, KGA added hip-hop to its format.

semoochie
    Participant

Here’s what they say about KGA on Radio Discussions: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?714820-KGA-adds-Hip-Hop-to-sports

Chico
    Participant

This falls into the “how the mighty have fallen” category. 1510 was the “truckers station” for decades with a night signal that covered I 90 and I 84 for many hundreds of miles. In 2008 Mapleton lowered the night signal to 15K directional so they could increase their 5/1 in the east bay area of SF to a more robust 8/2.5. Also dropping KGA night power got rid of a lot of fringe interference on the SF signal.

At this point KGA AM is there to drive a 99 watt translator, and KKSF is a brokered ethnic format serving a niche audience at best. I suppose eventually both will file for indefinite STAs as the land around towers gets too valuable and they diplex on shared arrays at greatly reduced power.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Out of curiosity, I listened to 1510 yesterday, and the reception was not too good. The selective fading was pretty severe. I remember that prior to the 2008 power downgrade, KGA and KFBK would sometimes clobber adjacent 1520.

Chico
    Participant

I am surprised you can get them at all. They have a CP to drop to 5K directional at night, and are on an even lower power STA while they install the new Kintronics gear. Which, given Spokane winters, won’t happen until summer.

In the end they will be 50K omni days, 47K omni critical hours, and 5K off two towers nights. And, really, they may as well drop the power a lot more as the only signal worth anything seems to be the 99 watt 103.5 flamethrower on South Hill.

Spokane is a substantial college town so this makes total sense. Roughly 45,000 students. Not counting the Moody Bible Institute, because, well….

LinleyG
    Participant

Ah, KGA. An old memory. Fifty-five years ago I lived in Eastern Washington and KGA was a favorite. As a young man, I remember driving up to Moran Prairie to visit KGA’s transmitter. I cannot remember its antenna array but I have vivid memories of KGA’s 50 kW plate modulated RCA transmitter. It was massive; raw power. With its transformers, etc. it consumed a large area (40’X30′?)fenced off in one side of the building. I think access was such that I could just walk in and look at the transmitter and read its meters. The only meter I distinctly remember was a three phase 440 Volt power meter that measured the AC mains input power; it went up and down with the modulation. The transmitter used very large air cooled tubes in the modulator and finals but I don’t remember the tube type. I did note that the RF stage driving the final used an 892R tube. Included with that driver was a pair of 892R’s modulators complete with a modulation transformer so that the driver could be used as an emergency 5 kW transmitter. That tube line up was used in the 5 kW transmitter at KWSU in Pullman that I was tending when I was a student there.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.