Washington State Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Washington State Radio Happenings

This topic contains 392 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Young 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 393 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

10 Stations In California And Washington State Sold

Trustee SCOTT SAVAGE is selling 10 of the 12 former LUNA COMMUNICATIONS/MOON BROADCASTING stations to CASA MEDIA PARTNERS, LLC for $3.5 million.

The stations include Regional Mexican KMQA (MAQUINA MUSICAL)/EAST PORTERVILLE, CA and Regional Mexican KMEN/MENDOTA, CA (held by MBP LICENSEE LLC);

Regional Mexican KAEH (LA MAQUINA MUSICAL)/BEAUMONT, CA and Regional Mexican KIQQ-A (LA MAQUINA MUSICAL)/BARSTOW, CA-KIQQ-F/NEWBERRY SPRINGS, CA (held by MBR LICENSEE LLC);

Regional Mexican KMNA (LA X)/MABTON, WA and Regional Mexican KZXR-A (ENVISORA 1310) and Spanish KLES/PROSSER-YAKIMA, WA (held by MBPROSSER LICENSEE LLC);

and Regional Mexican KAAT (LA MAQUINA 103.1) and AC KTNS-A (SOFT HITS 1060)/OAKHURST, CA (held by CALIFORNIA SIERRA CORPORATION), plus booster KAAT-FM1/MERCED, CA and FM translator K282AE/OAKHURST, CA.

SAVAGE was appointed trustee for the group earlier this year and filed to sell Regional Mexican KRRS-A (LA MAQUINA MUSICAL 1460)/SANTA ROSA, CA and Regional Mexican KTOB-A (LA VAQUERA 1490 AM)/PETALUMA, CA (held by MOON BROADCASTING LICENSEE LLC) to CALIFORNIA BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC for $300,000 in JUNE.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access”

Adelante Sells Washington State AM

ADELANTE MEDIA OF EASTERN WASHINGTON LICENSE LLC is selling Spanish Adult Hits KDYM-A/SUNNYSIDE, WA to CENTRO FAMILIAR CRISTIANO for $150,000.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

‘Latino’ Finds A Home On Tri-Cities Airwaves

TRI-CITIES area Hispanic radio listeners awoke over the weekend to the sounds of a new station, calling itself “LATINO 96.7.” ADELANTE MEDIA GROUP Spanish Classic Hits KMMG (JUAN 96.7) has been replaced with a contemporary approach, and targets adults between the ages of 18 and 49.

LATINO 96.7 offers “solo exitos,” playing only the best hits from today’s biggest stars, featuring the music of SHAKIRA, PITBULL, ENRIQUE IGLESIAS, MANA and many others.

“We saw an opportunity to introduce a great format — unlike any other — specifically-targeting young Hispanics in the region,” said VP/Market Mgr. BRYAN HOLLENBAUGH. “While a large segment of the population has always been catered to with a variety of Regional Mexican-formatted radio, young Latinos — preferring pop music — have had to gravitate to English stations for their new music. Not anymore!”

Programming is being led by ADELANTE MEDIA GROUP Corporate Dir./Programming and New Media JUAN GONZALEZ from the company’s SACRAMENTO headquarters.

“LATINO 96.7 will run without air personalities for the next several weeks, allowing listeners to simply enjoy the great music, as we prepare to put the best and brightest young Latino air personalities on the station,” said GM BOB VILLONES.

paulwalker
    Participant

I drove westbound across W. WA in July of this year. I was somewhat surprised putting my radio on seek (just west of Spokaloo), and about half of the pickups were Spanish/Latino stations. I was frustrated at first, but then realized how the population of Eastern WA has changed.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Yes, this is great news! 20 years ago I called around to local stations in Ellensburg about this Spanish station I was picking up. It wasn’t in my radio directory. Found out it was most likely a pirate because there were no stations broadcasting in Spanish. Now there’s no need for pirates. Communities are being served.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

NANCY L. ISSERLIS, receiver for Classic Hits KAZZ (K-HITS)/DEER PARK-SPOKANE, WA, has closed on the transfer of the station back to the estate of EARLE T. KAZMARK, represented by JOSEPH NAPPI, JR.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KDRK/Spokane Now The Mountain

MAPLETON COMMUNICATIONS Country KDRK/SPOKANE, which had been stunting since 6a (PT) this morning (10/11), has rebranded from THE CAT to NEW COUNTRY 93.7 THE MOUNTAIN.

After playing “Go Rest High On That Mountain,” from MCA artist VINCE GILL at just before 6a (PT), the station went into ‘stunting mode,’ complete with BIG BEN chimes, clock ticking sounds, SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK snippets, and a bit of AC/DC’s “Hell’s Bells” for good measure. At 11a (PT), KDRK returned as THE MOUNTAIN, starting off with TOBY KEITH’s “How Do You Like Me Now?”

Market Manager BOB ALLISON tells ALL ACCESS, “As of 11a today KDRK is THE MOUNTAIN which is perfect fit to this market surrounded by four major mountains. Fresh voice, fresh jingles, and a fresh approach. Country music has been coming out the radio at 93.7 for 30 years and has evolved many times in the life cycle growing each time to reflect the needs of the audience. That’s exactly what we’re doing today-evolving.”

ALLISON says there will be no staff changes made at KDRK.

paulwalker
    Participant

So a format change that really isn’t a format change. New jingles, new imaging, perhaps getting rid of some of the gold. Stunting to prove it?

I actually love it! This is the way to do it. More power to you. Nice job.

semoochie
    Participant

This brings back memories of Z100…twice!

bossjock
    Participant

Pat
    Participant

I still can’t believe they would allow for a 50 kW station on 1520 so close to 1520 in Portland. Heck I remember hearing KYXI in Everett during the day in the winter months quite clearly. And nighttime was never a problem.

RadioBuggie
    Participant

Everett radio has always had MORE problems than neighboring Seattle’s…

Scott Young
    Participant

A 1520 assignment in Everett is mind boggling to me as well. And I don’t think receiving KYXI at night was ever much of a problem anywhere from here to Alaska. If 1520 in Everett is reasonable, it makes me wonder why the 810 in Ephrata and the 680s in Olympia and Omak are daytime only.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“If 1520 in Everett is reasonable, it makes me wonder why the 810 in Ephrata and the 680s in Olympia and Omak are daytime only.”

Nighttime operation must pass interference analysis which involves skywave calculations which

are not only quite complicated but involve so many different factors it’s not inconceivable that

1520, which is almost half the wavelength of stations on the left half of the dial, might pass muster

especially since Everett isn’t that far from Oregon City (far enough away for groundwave clearance

but not far enough away to have a skywave problem).

It does depend on what kind of antenna configuration you propose and a whole host of factors too

numerous and complex to try and discuss here. Probably the most influential factor is who else is

on (or adjacent) to the frequency and where they are located. Those lower frequencies probably

have some pretty significant amounts of skywave and without doing a complete channel study

it’s hard to even guess why they remain daytime only beyond the above interference consideration.

Scott Young
    Participant

Thanks Andy!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.