Washington State Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Washington State Radio Happenings

This topic contains 352 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 353 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KEZE To Flip Formats

KXLY BROADCASTING Triple A KEZE (THE RIVER)/SPOKANE will be dropping the Triple A format as of MAY 1st to lean in a Rhythmic direction. More details as to format specifics and programming personnel is forthcoming.

Meanwhile, RIVER MD KRISTEN KURTIS remains with the cluster doing afternoons at sister Hot AC station KZZU.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

This is interesting. Revisiting what I wrote in my earlier thread about stations in Spokane:

Spokane’s River 96.9 – If it were possible for 94/7 in Portland to get any softer and slower, it would probably sound a lot like this station. Usually came in with a lot of static.

Some of the other stations have a very similar presentation with harder-edged music, and 96.9 had an even more laid back presentation than the mainstream AC station. Looking up the specs, their signal is also much weaker than the other Spokane FMs, giving it a huge disadvantage.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

The KEZE Flip Rumors Getting Hotter In Spokane

KXLY BROADCASTING Triple A KEZE (THE RIVER)/SPOKANE looks ready to flip anytime now. ALL ACCESS got wind of the pending flip in APRIL (Net News 4/20). If new websites are any indication, a Top 40/Rhythmic appears likely. Someone has already created a HOT 96.9 Facebook page and a TWITTER page.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Radio Insight seems to be the place reporting the flip:

Spokane’s River Gets Hot

KEZE made the flip to Rhythmic CHR “Hot 96.9” at 3:05pm today. The previous River format will remain online only.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Spokane now has two real Rhythmic CHR stations, while Portland has none. This is crazy, considering Portland has the appropriate demos, much more so than Spokane. Poertland radio has mostly turned to crap.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

Hot 96-9 Seeks PD

Do you want to program in the PACIFIC NORTHWEST? SPOKANE’s brand new Top 40/R KEZE (HOT96-9) is looking for a PD.

Are you a passionate, detail oriented person that can multi-task? Are you good on air? Can you schedule music? Do you believe that your job is more than just a 9-5? Then they want to hear from you. Rush your resume, mp3 and programming philosophy to KEN HOPKINS at kenho@kxly.com No phone calls please. EOE.

Brianl
    Participant

Sigh, I remember KEZE Rock 106 while growing up in Spokane. It was a TREMENDOUS AOR station.

Their best promotion was in the early ’90s, when the height of Rush Limbaugh came about and you saw all the “Rush is Right” and “Flush Rush” bumper stickers … KEZE came out with “Rush is a band!”. I still have mine somewhere.

msndrspdx
    Participant

I’m amazed more stations with Rush (the band) on their playlists didn’t borrow from this idea! (And ya know what folks? It might still work nowadays..) Best, M. 8)

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

NANCY L. ISSERLIS, receiver for Classic Hits KAZZ (K-HITS)/DEER PARK-SPOKANE, WA, is transferring the station back to the estate of EARLE T. KAZMARK, represented by JOSEPH NAPPI, JR. ISSERLIS tried to sell the stations after the deaths of EARLE and BARBARA KAZMARK, who held a judgment against the previous licensee, PROACTIVE COMMUNICATIONS, but failed to find a buyer for a near-fair-market-value price, she said. NAPPI plans to sell the station as soon as a suitable offer is received.

roger_2.0
    Participant

Well, when you can’t find a buyer near “fair market value” Then obviously the asking price was above the fair market value. Doesn’t matter whether it’s a business or a baseball card. If the book says it’s worth 100, you think it’s worth 200 and no one want’s to pay more than 1, then it’s only worth 1.

Silver dollars, used cars, or radio stations. the value is only what someone is willing to pay. Any AM costal radio station recently come to mind to anyone? Certainly seemed like a fair price, but obviously other factors depressed the FMV…….

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Nixes Townsquare Yakima, Tri-Cities Deal

The FCC has rejected REVITALIZATION PARTNERS and TOWNSQUARE MEDIA’s application for TOWNSQUARE to buy 12 stations from REVITALIZATION (as receiver for NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS) for $6 million and to place eleven stations in the TRI-CITIES and YAKIMA, WA markets into a divestiture trust for spinoff.

The Commission called the deal “patently not in accord with our policy concerning the acceptable use of divestiture trusts…. the proposed use of this Divestiture Trust is not incidental to a larger transaction…. the Assignment Applications’ proposed disposition of 12 stations in Washington will result in 11 stations being licensed to the Divestiture Trust and only one additional station being licensed to TM in a manner compliant with the multiple ownership rule. Such use of a divestiture trust is neither incidental nor consistent with precedent. Moreover, even the use of the Divestiture Trust for the assignment of 11 of the 31 stations would be unprecedented.”

“We have never allowed a station owner to use a divestiture trust to re-shuffle its radio station portfolio as proposed here,” wrote the Commission. “This aspect of the Proposed Transaction presents even greater concerns about the competitive impact on these small radio markets.”

TOWNSQUARE had applied to place Classic Hits KOLW (97.5 COOL FM)/BASIN CITY, WA; Hot AC KEYW (98.3 THE KEY)/PASCO; Country KDBL (92.9 THE BULL)/TOPPENISH, WA; and AC KQMY (MY 99.3)/ NACHES, WA into THE TRI-CITIES/YAKIMA DIVESTITURE TRUST, and REVITALIZATION contributed Oldies KARY (100.9 CHERRY FM)/GRANDVIEW-YAKIMA; Talk KBBO-A (TALK 980 K-USA)/SELAH-YAKIMA; Sports KJOX-A (ESPN RADIO 1390) and Top 40/Rhythmic KHHK (HOT 99.7)/YAKIMA; Sports KALE-A (960 ESPN), and Country KIOK (94.9 THE WOLF)/RICHLAND; and Classic Hits KKSR (95.7 FUN FM)/WALLA WALLA. TOWNSQUARE was to buy and keep Adult Hits KRSE (105.7 BOB FM) and Country KXDD/YAKIMA, Classic Rock KEGX (EAGLE 106.5)/RICHLAND, Talk KTCR-A/KENNEWICK, and Top 40 KUJ-F (POWER 99.1)/ BURBANK plus FM translator K232CB/PENDLETON.

kennewickman
    Participant

I HAVE WONDERED about that ‘reshuffle’ bidness…from the very first time I saw the proposal last year !!! How could the commission allow such an alien thing to happen ?? So now they havent !! So now what ? Back to the future where all cells remain the same as they were.

Divest it as it was Townsquare… so there..

………………………………………………

And I remember when KEZE…stood for ” Easy Listening “…and when Bill Gott Chief engr for Kaye Smith/KJRB ( whom I worked for)…was secretly contracted to keep that automated easy listening station down the road on 57th st… on the air prior to a sale to Kaye Smith…LOL..And I also remember a disgruntled and summarily terminated former engineer ( Vince Hofart) of Kaye Smith contacting me a year later trying to prove colusion , challenging their sale and license because Bill had built out KJRB to house the new Shaeffer automation well before the sale ( a technical violation at that time, but rarely taken to task)…what a mess…LOL..this was all going on in 1977/78 …

boisebill
    Participant

Citadel was buying a couple more Spokane stations and the Citadel DOE was in town doing the due-diligence. Asked their GM to meet with their “full time” Chief Engineer. Yep, it was Gott. Gott was also the Citadel full time Chief. Always wondered why Bill would disappear for hours.

May he rest in peace.

msndrspdx
    Participant

That sounds like just about every station in the Yakima/Pasco area was involved in the transaction! 😕 Whew!! Best, M. 8)

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Thank goodness the FCC nixed this deal! 107.3 KFFM, 98.3 The Key, and Eagle 106.5 will stay on their heritage frequencies. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 353 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.