Voltair: What's the deal?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    fatb0y2011
    Participant

I have been surfing around reading up on this topic. Still not clear. Here’s what I can come up with:

These guys have come up with an audio processor that talks to the people meters better? Using more efficient encoding algorithms? Algorithms, they don’t want to share with Nielsen. Giving them a processor with a better advantage in reaching people meters than those stations not using the Voltair. I also understand it is ridiculously expensive.

Been out of the biz for a while and just curious.

DarkStar
    Participant

Here’s the Voltair White Paper: http://success.telosalliance.com/voltairwhitepaperdownload

Voltair Followup: http://success.telosalliance.com/explaining-voltair-success

In a nutshell, the Voltair processes the existing broadcast audio so that the Nielsen encoder can add the watermarking with a higher likelihood that the people meters can decode the signal.

semoochie
    Participant

Neilson has switched or is in the process of switching to an improved system that should make the Voltair moot.

DarkStar
    Participant

Nielsen is updating (or should I say “has updated”) the PPM encoders with the latest variation of their encoding scheme. The Voltair still will operate as originally configured.

Some audio is hard to encode, so there is still a job for Voltair to do. In addition to processing, the 2nd most important feature is that the Voltair will provide feedback to indicate if the audio is actually being encoded in a way that should be decodable.

Andy Brown
    Participant
    fatb0y2011
    Participant

Wow! Appreciate the intelligent responses. Have further research on this end. Thanks also for the links.
    I remember the “diary days” and massive budgets for promotion and contesting. It was all about top-of-mind “strategery”, and making Thursday AM Drive as unforgettable as possible, either through effective local personality or big money contest.
    Anybody recall “Craig’s Red Sweater”? That combined a bit of both.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.