Vintage Hi-Fi shop closing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I decided to post on this side because it may be of more interest to radio-oriented people.

It just came out in today’s newspaper that long-time Eugene stereo dealer, Thompson’s Electronics is going out of business on December 30 and is having a sale.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35114487-75/thompsons-electronics-closing-after-80-years-in-downtown-eugene.html.csp

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is a bummer. My college dorm days seem like a world away. Back then, the people who wanted to show off would lug in component stereo systems with tower speakers. Some would bring in bookshelf stereo systems. Most would have a boombox next to the bed. Portable audio meant a headphone cassette player/radio (portable CD players were rather expensive then).

Today, recorded music is a highly personalized experience for most young people, and generally this is done with a smartphone and earbuds. When I attend parties today, I notice that very few homes have sound systems with tower speakers–and these are not the homes of hipsters or Millennials; I am talking about people 40+. One either finds convenience audio systems with very small speakers (such as iPod docks or Bluetooth speakers) or surround-sound systems, which have a subwoofer and small satellite speakers.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

I’m sorry to hear of that. Chain stores like Best Buy just don’t have that hi-fi ethos. Over the past few years, I’ve been seeing good (and bad) vintage equipment at the increasing number of Goodwill stores popping up around town.

In Portland, Fred’s Sound of Music on Hawthorne near SE 39th is a great vintage and newer hi-fi shop. Many of those newer speaker systems have surprisingly great sounds for using such a small footprint.

Of course, much newer released music can sound horrible if mastered incorrectly or only released at low mp3 bit rates. I miss the great sounding stuff that was released on the Warner/Elektra/Asylum labels in the 1970’s and always sounded Hi-Fi fantastic!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Fred’s does have a good pre-owned section, as well as being one of “the last honest” hi-fi shops.

In Eugene, Bradford’s Home Entertainment is still going with new gear, and there are three decent repair shops for vintage gear, including one who specializes in tubes. No stores selling good used gear though, that I can think of, other than what sometimes shows up at thrift stores or Craigslist.

892R
    Participant

You can find a lot of great “HI-FI” stuff at Estate Sales…and Inner Sound in the OC is a great place to get it repaired. They also have an interesting collection in the office. As does the electronics recycling place on B-H highway near SW Western ave in Beaverton.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have also been wondering what treasures (old equipment and parts) might be found at these hi-fi recycling outfits. Unfortunately, I have to abstain from dragging any more stuff into the house at this time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.