Victor Ives R.I.P.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

According to his Facebook page, Vic Ives has passed away. Condolences to his wife Carol and his family. At this time I have no other details.

I worked for Victor at Magic 107 in the ’80’s and I learned a lot about the marketing of radio and media relations. R.I.P. Vic.

tombrooks
    Participant

Worked for Victor in mid 80’s at KMJK.. The one thing I always remember about him was a great professional attitude. Never saw him berate anyone (Unlike some other radio management) was always positive and would have kind words for even the little people (like me)..Most of the public remembers him from Sinister Cinema…

Here is his first episode,

jr_tech
    Participant

My remembrance of Victor is from the days of KVIX old time radio programming. I only met him once. In the declining period of KVIX, in October, he hosted a “save OTR” bash at the Forestry Center. I assisted a friend in providing a small display of 20s to 50s radios for the occasion. Victor seemed to appreciate the effort, and was a gracious host.

Later in the day, he changed into his “Dracula” outfit and gave a short speech about OTR and the stations efforts to remain afloat.
    I turned to my friend and remarked “wow, he *really* gets into this Halloween season” and was informed of the Sinister Cinema connection…(major slap forehead event for me).

R.I.P. Vic, you brought a lot of fun entertainment to the airwaves.

semoochie
    Participant

Not to get off topic but I think Vic would approve. I clicked on the link and somewhere, he refers to the original 1910 Edison version of “Frankenstein” and says that not a single frame is known to exist. Scanning down the page, I find not one but two restitutions of the entire film! The first one was the best, complete with a modern stereo soundtrack.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Let me echo all the kind words above. Victor made working in radio fun and everyone at KMJK learned something from his vast experience. Victor is the only GM I ever worked for that could do bits for the morning show. Here is Little Timmy from 1983.

R.I.P. Victor

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Interesting to note, Ten years ago today:

Jimmy Hollister died at age 66 in Folsom, California.

johnlaw
    Participant

Talk of Victor and Jimmy H. bring me back to my internship days @ KEX while attending Mt. Hood CC. Fond memories. Back in the days when radio stations where actually free standing buildings. Shocking, I know. Not sure if internships still even exist? If not, it’s sad. Was a great way to get exposure to ‘real radio’. Back when such a thing existed.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

A great creative talent. I thought of him as the Orson Welles of Portland.

duxrule
    Participant

That’s sad news. He was a Portland icon.

duxrule
    Participant

It’s also a bit sad that the rest of Portland’s media hasn’t picked up on this.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Victor Ives – Obit from The Portland Tribune:

http://portlandtribune.com/obit/50-lor-obituaries/244754-112515-victor-ives

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.