Very Weird Ratings!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

In the 6+ January ratings, KOPB was first with a 12 share, nearly doubling the number two spot which was KGON, probably the highest ranking they’ve had since topping the charts in the early 80s, with 13.3, when there was no true Top 40 station! #4 was K103. I believe you would have to go back before the “Craig Walker era” before they were ranked that low!

Bigpuppy
    Participant

You’re right…a 12.9 to a 6 in one month is a dramatic drop for KKCW. Of course it’s explainable by the loss of the Christmas cume, and the regulars haven’t found their way back yet. Also January was a huge news month, which K103 doesn’t do any more. It’ll be interesting to see how February’s numbers look, after the ice storm. We were out of power and internet for a long time, and KXL was a lifeline.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I see that KEX doesn’t manage to crack the top 10 anymore, despite being the top-rated AM station. At least since the cancellation of the morning news shows on KPAM and KEX, I think that people in this area have stopped associating local radio newscasts with AM.

semoochie
    Participant

Before Covid, KEX was lucky to reach a two share!

Screamer
    Participant

Too bad we can’t see more than one demo. Doesn’t Nielsen de-list non subscribers next month?

semoochie
    Participant

I understand that the listing of ranking of other demos is fair game, if anyone wishes to share(pun unintended)that.

Gabe
    Participant

KGON seems to be following a simple, tried-and-true formula for good music radio: talented local jocks at least 6a – 7p, who are given freedom to be creative. Terry Boyd, morning drive, is a good talent with market recognition. Remy Maxwell, afternoon drive, is a fantastic talent… IMHO, he’s the best air talent in the market right now.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Gabe.
    RadioHiker
    Participant

I’m not sure that Remy Maxwell is local to Portland… he is a longtime Minneapolis radio personality. He was on the air in Minneapolis when I lived there 20 years ago, and his social media still indicates he lives in Minneapolis.

Gabe
    Participant

Really?! Well if that’s true, and his show is tracked from another market, then they totally fooled me. I used to be able to spot voice tracking right away because the jock wouldn’t sound “in the groove,” but more like… well, more like he or she had been recording multiple voice tracks in succession. What a sad state of affairs when a heritage major market station can’t even hire a local afternoon drive guy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.