Vaccinated?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

John is a crank and anti-everything new.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I’m 72 and got my second M shot today.

Andrew
    Participant

There’s no point in trying to engage with cranks.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The usual sore arm, but this one took my energy down. That has only been the side effect from the 2nd shot, other than the sore arm. Glad they are over…

lastday
    Participant

There’s no point in trying to engage with cranks.

Absolutely this.

Pick any or all of these possible reasons:

Don’t trust the gubmint

Don’t trust Big Pharma

Don’t trust scientists

Don’t believe Fauci

I’m an independent thinker and ain’t nobody gonna tell me what to do

It’s a hoax

I could go on. It’s impossible to engage someone on any of those points once they’re dug in.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I often wonder what it would be like to visit one of these individuals in the ICU with a breathing tube shoved down their throat into their lungs with the doctor standing their telling them they have an expected survival chance of 3%. Then he explains to them that if they do beat those odds, they likely will have semi-permenant brain damage from the virus, the length of which is still unknown, if not permenant.

If they do survive, and most don’t, they then go on an on-line posting campaign telling everyone else they were wrong and no one should take the same route as they did. That’s if they survive.

semoochie
    Participant

What I get from some members of my extended family is that they are concerned about what might develop 30 years from now.

radiogeek
    Participant

30 years?

If we don’t all die from climate change by then, if Iran doesn’t get the bomb, if the big one doesn’t level our infrastructure and we all get dysentery, if we don’t turn into a police state …

How about some realistic future planning? Nothing is static anymore. We gotta do the best we can with the knowledge we have. You don’t want to treat pandemics with vaccines? Have your family visit the parts of Africa that have been completely depopulated by Ebola.

Ed

Andrew
    Participant

semoochie: “What I get from some members of my extended family is that they are concerned about what might develop 30 years from now.”

This is a very valid concern, actually, and I have/had the same worry. But I look the choice differently: there isn’t really a great choice. Either take an experimental vaccine that is safe in the short-term, risk getting Covid itself (and wonder what might “develop” in 30 years after getting Covid now)…or hide myself away (like many others) for years while everyone else gets Covid and hundreds of thousands (millions?) more die as the virus spreads and mutates, maybe causing new waves of variant pandemics for years or decades.

Given that there is no great choice, which is the least bad? The least risky that allows a good chance at a normal world again is to take this experimental vaccine. If Covid would disappear from the world in a month without the vaccine, of course I would just wait, but we know now that’s not going to happen.

You might try that kind of reasoning with your family.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have been getting vaccinations since I was a small child. I am 72 and I am not concerned. I sure would not want to get COVID. Even if they didn’t die, a person can be left with a lot of long term issues they may never get over.

semoochie
    Participant

In a related area, you would be amazed how fast 30 years can go by! I’ve been on this board for over 25, as have Randy in Eugene and several others and still think of the internet as new technology!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recently watched as a woman announced on social media that she would soon receive the vaccine, and a conspiracy theorist quickly came out of the woodwork and argued with people that the COVID-19 vaccines were created by Bill Gates with the goal of de-populating the world. I was left with the impression that the best courses of action might have been:

1) The person who posted about receiving the vaccine could have refrained from giving out her medical information online

or

2) She could have unfriended the conspiracy theorist before the insults started flying.

I have wondered, were there people in the 1950s who considered the polio vaccine to have some hidden agenda and who might have considered spending the rest of one’s days in an iron lung to be no big deal?

lastday
    Participant

I’m old enough to remember kids in grade school with polio wearing leg braces, or worse. I remember getting the first polio vaccine via drops of liquid on a sugar cube. This was a miraculous medical and scientific breakthrough for that time. Parents listened to the science and the science was right. If there were non-believers at the time, their numbers would be minuscule

Now we have the wonderful amazing internet where everyone has a megaphone to say or claim anything they want, no matter how ludicrous. We may all have much more access to information now than in those days, but a substantial percentage of the population is completely unable to question and evaluate their sources or trust the science.

Are things better now? In some ways yes, in other ways an emphatic no.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Wife and I got our second shots. On Cinco de Mayo we will be fully vaccinated. Which is good because in mid May we will be part of a memorial service for my mother-in-law. Both in person with covid protocols at the church and the rest on Zoom or Facebook live. Kind of the way it is these days.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Rocker Ted Nugent caught COVID and he said that he figured it was a hoax until he got it. His message said” Get the Shot(s). He had never been so sick in his life. Herman Cain scoffed and refused to wear a mask. He caught COVID early on and died.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.