US becoming less Christian

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Good news!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-becoming-less-christian-study-finds-unaffiliated-group-grows-n357561

The share of Americans who do not identify with a religion has grown dramatically and now surpasses every affiliation except evangelical Protestants, according to a survey released Tuesday.

The Pew Research Center found that 22.8 percent of Americans were religiously unaffiliated last year — up from 16.1 percent in 2007. That group includes atheists, agnostics and those who chose “nothing in particular.”

Evangelical Protestants made up 25.4 percent of the adult population, down slightly from 26.3 percent in 2007. Catholics declined to 20.8 percent from 23.9 percent, and mainline Protestants to 14.7 percent from 18.1 percent.

In all, roughly seven in 10 Americans identified with some branch of Christianity, down from almost eight in 10 in 2007. The share of Americans who identify with a non-Christian faith grew to 5.9 percent, with pronounced growth among Muslims and Hindus.

Pew found that the drop in Christian affiliation held for all age groups but especially among young adults.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Do you know who is to blame? It is that Hozier guy! :-0

Amus
    Participant

What a hoser!
    (Cue Bob & Doug Mckenzie)

Broadway
    Participant

Guess that explains why the world is going to pot…literally and figuratively…

Amus
    Participant

I noticed that the largest drops were among Protestant Evangelicals & Catholics.

Maybe what we’ll be left with will be a less corrosive, more Christ-like Christianity.

Also,

I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out the irony that this study was conducted by “Pew Research”.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Yep, the largest drops are from the most bat shit nuts groups.

I’m praying that the non-affiliated category continues to grow in ranks.

duxrule
    Participant

Thrice-wed drug-addicted sexual deviant Lush Limpdick says that he has the answer:

Rush Limbaugh panics over decline of Christianity in America — says ‘1 million gay activists’ are to blame

“…“They have left their churches because of social issues and the evolution of their churches to social areas they didn’t want to go and don’t feel comfortable being in,” the conservative host continued. “If you look at the evangelical churches, they haven’t lost anything. Their membership is holding pretty steady. Where the message has remained, where the mission has remained the same, where the members of the church don’t think any corruption is taking place. They’re still hanging in there.”

“Some might say, the churches that haven’t fallen pray to the dark side. All of this silly social evolution.”

Limbaugh argued that “less than 1 million gay activists” were able to “bully and steamroll an entire country.””

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/rush-limbaugh-panics-over-decline-of-christianity-in-america-says-1-million-gay-activists-are-to-blame/

Broadway
    Participant

From the article…
    “Pew found a ‘remarkable degree of churn’ in the US religious landscape. But evangelicals are the ‘major exception’ to the national pattern of Christian decline, and the only major Christian group in the survey that has gained more members than it has lost through religious switching.”

mwdxer1
    Participant

I do not know if that statement is totally true. I know several people that consider themselves Christian who never go to church. They have their personal beliefs that is between them and God. The hell and brimstone stuff just does not work in this day. I think Oregon has less church goers than any other state. Washington is not far behind.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed. IMO, you do not have to go to church to have a relationship with God. However, you should be tolerant of churches and even donate to them when the time is right. And this includes all churches, regardless of faith. As for church attendance I think mxdxer1 is correct.

Quick anecdote, when I lived in Idaho Falls, ID (heavily LDS), you could do all your shopping on Sunday mornings with no crowds. When I moved back to the Tri-Cities, I noticed that Sunday mornings were just about as busy as Saturday mornings. Talk about two different cultures among neighboring states.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

This might be a bit of a hijack, so my apologies to Vita.

The article linked below has an interesting spin for all those who think this nation was founded on Christian principles and exactly what that might actually look like if we were to be a nation based on Christian principles.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/formerlyfundie/christiannation/

Amus
    Participant

Thanks Chris.
    That’s a keeper.

Broadway
    Participant

>>The article linked below
    I’ve never read something so PC intrenched…and un-American.

Amus
    Participant

…and un-American.

Congratulations Broadway!
    You totally nailed it this time.

You’re vision of “American” is totally at odds with Christianity as practiced by Christ himself.

duxrule
    Participant

“I’ve never read something so PC intrenched…and un-American.”

Please…Illuminate us. Where is this gentleman wrong?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.