Unknown rock song played on KXYQ (KRSK) in 1989-1990

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Unknown rock song played on KXYQ (KRSK) in 1989-1990

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fieldmice
    Participant

Hello. I realize that this might be a bit off-topic for the forum, but this is a mystery that nobody has been able to solve for years. There’s a song that was played on Portland radio around 1989-1990 but it could have been a bit earlier. The band sounds British but it could have been a local artist. Would someone here know who it is?
    Here’s a clip:

Apparently, the radio show this played on was hosted by a lady. Inessa Anderson, perhaps? The show aired on Sunday at midnight. It might not have been a female host, though.

Facebook post with all details about this mystery:
    https://www.facebook.com/knepp/videos/10208405289524602/

Thank you very much.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by fieldmice.
    Screamer
    Participant

Sounds like The Smiths

fieldmice
    Participant

It really does sound like them, and the vocalist has a voice very similar to Bernard Sumner from New Order, but it doesn’t seem to be any of these bands. We are thinking that Mr. Steve Naganuma might know something about it since he worked for the station back then.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fieldmice.
    Steve Naganuma
    Participant

I am sorry I can not Name That Tune. I might be able to point you to the right path to find out. I believe Inessa did a New Rock show on Q105 around that time. Try contacting Inessa through PRP.

Inessa

lastday
    Participant

I shared it to Paul Schwartzberg’s FB page (of KRVM). This is right up his alley.

It reminds me of New Order but I doubt that’s right.

EDiT: I also posted it to a high-traffic forum for bass players. They’re pretty good at ID’ing obscure stuff.

fieldmice
    Participant

Thank you very much for all the help, everyone. We were thinking of talking to Inessa directly. I appreciate the responses.
    Thank you lastday for posting on the other forum as well.
    The song is very good.

semoochie
    Participant

Let us know.

inessamwa@gmail.com
    Participant

Somebody reached out to me earlier today. I can’t tell who it is. Sounds sort of like Morrissey to me. It won’t Shazam either. I am stumped!

lastday
    Participant

User on another forum claims some unknown “they” has reached out to her and she has no idea who it is.

EDIT: When I asked who said that, I got this.

“The entirety of this Facebook thread since 2017 it seems. One of these commenters (via YouTube) seems to be really invested.

With some help, I tracked down the most likely DJ: Inessa Anderson, who ran the new music show. I asked her, and she said she probably played it, but she doesn’t remember the song at all.

I then asked her if they ever played British bands or if they specifically played vinyls at KXYQ, but she left me on read.”

fieldmice
    Participant

Yeah, there’s a whole community talking about this. Thanks Inessa for trying to guess who it is. We are looking into Irish bands now. Will keep you guys posted. There is someone else trying to find music he listened on a Portladio radio station, but he only has short snippets.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by fieldmice.
    lastday
    Participant

The thread I posted on another forum has gotten a fair amount of traction. Everyone wants to be the one who figures this out. Plus it’s a good song.

The general consensus is it has to be an unsigned indie northwest band attempting to cop the sound of other bands in that time and genre, and with some success.

axie
    Participant

Hi! I’m the one who posted the comment you quoted. Inessa actually replied on this thread above– she also told me that bands played were often local or or global.

A friend of mine asked Mistina from The Prids if a band like the one who made this song even existed in Portland back then, to which she said it was impossible– she’d have known the band. Unless they were incredibly obscure, even to the local acts, and had a fake accent, I think we can say with some degree of confidence that the band in question is not from Portland. This explains why none of the local acts seem to recognize the song and why the singer sounds… not American.

lastday, what forum did you post this on?

edit: read your last posts more closely, now I know the answer to my question haha.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by axie.
    RobG
    Participant

I was reached out to.

The Sheets come to mind but they’re German. I don’t reckon it’s them.

axie
    Participant

thank you! we’ll look into them anyway. it couldn’t hurt, right?

RobG
    Participant

Forwarded to a friend who loves the obscure side of 80’s and 90’s music.

He says he recognizes it. Will get back to me.

Hope I come back with the answer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.