Ugly duckling coach resignation

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  paulwalker 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

paulwalker
    Participant

We knew Willie Taggart was being considered for Florida State, but then he lied about it. So after just one season, Oregon needs to regroup. This is definitely a setback for Oregon football. A 1-year coach is a bad omen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oregon-ad-says-willie-taggart-lied-about-contact-from-fsu/ar-BBGhuo6?li=BBnbfcL

Brianl
    Participant

Oregon will be fine; where this is going to hurt is in recruiting. Oregon had a top-5 class before this all shook out, and many of those young men have recommitted.

The new early signing period is forcing schools to move swiftly to fill coaching vacancies (and save face with recruits). I wouldn’t be surprised if Oregon stayed in house, and promoted Jim Leavitt to HC while retaining Cristobal as OC. That will give some continuity within that system, and probably keep some of the recruits from bolting elsewhere.

cbaravelli
    Participant

WSU Coach Mike Leach for the win!

Brianl
    Participant

Cbaravelli – not happening. With Arkansas hiring Chad Morris, Leach is staying at least one more year in Pullman.

He is not on Mullens’ list, his offense compared to what Oregon has (namely at receiver) doesn’t mesh at all, Oregon fans won’t give him the time to build, and he won’t fit in – at all – in Eugene.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed. Leach + Eugene doesn’t work. Leach is a good ‘ole boy who is better suited for the SEC. He also likes to be left alone, and that would not be likely in Duckville.

The only coach I can remember that has left a NW Pac12 for another NW school is Dennis Erickson. WSU eventually to OSU.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  paulwalker.

Brianl
    Participant

Tyrone Willingham (Stanford, Washington) … Rick Neuheisel (Washington, UCLA) – those are two. And of course, we now have Chip Kelly at UCLA.

None of those left directly from one conference program to another – Erickson had stints at Miami and with the Seahawks before taking the Oregon State job, Neuheisel was fired from Washington and spent some time on the sideline before going to his alma mater, and Chip had two NFL stops.

paulwalker
    Participant

Right, but my post was about about NW Pac12 teams, not overall Pac12. Dennis would be the only one.

Brianl
    Participant

I missed the NW part. Coffee hasn’t kicked in yet, my bad Paul.

Carry on.

paulwalker
    Participant

No problem…as you wake up, I am heading the other direction. Ships passing in the night…been an interesting college season, and it ain’t over yet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.