Uff da! Problems coming

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

To continue but renew a similar thread, I am not optimistic about the coming few years. Inflation is all but certain, probably the worst in 30 years. Biden has one of the lowest favorable ratings in recent years. I predict a major recession or even worse in 2022-23. How this will effect the 2022 midterms is unknown but likely won’t be pretty. Dems are somewhat to blame by dividing the moderates and progressives. This could get very ugly for the left.

Vitalogy
    Participant

People old enough to remember the 70s need to understand that inflation is not your Dad’s inflation.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/111414/how-can-inflation-be-good-economy.asp

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Paul,

Would you rather have had four more years of the Big Orange Diarrhea Pile?

Yeah. Count your blessings. Things could have turned out much worse.

paulwalker
    Participant

Nosignal,

No. Of course not. But Trump may run again, and may win. Counting what blessings???

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Well, deny it or not, we as a country are slightly better off now than we were this time last year, or even four years ago. With any luck the Orange Shit Stain will either be in prison for treason, exiled or dead by ’23 so chances are we won’t have to worry about him running. Even if not, I’d like to believe the GOP have learnt their lesson and conceived enough sense to realise he’s unqualified for nomination, let alone re-election. The fringe groups the right-wing owned commercial mass media obsess on, in reality, only represent a small splinter minority. Albeit the one that brings the most fear, uncertainty and doubt into peoples’ minds (meaning: rating$) therefore that’s all you hear about.

I realise you’re jaded, and that optimism’s a generally alien concept to Portlanders. Turn off (or better yet, throw out) your TV, radio and social media websites and try to develop an at least somewhat positive mind model. Avoiding downtown can also help.

paulwalker
    Participant

I wouldn’t say I am jaded, just realistic. And I don’t live in Portland. I live in Eastern Washington. Positive mind model? Please tell me how to get there, because I am not. Biden is certain to be a one term POTUS, unless things drastically change. I don’t think the coming recession will cause a drastic change. We are in for a Republican victory in 2022, and probably a Republican victory in 2024. Whether it is Trump or someone else, the writing is on the wall unless the dems get their act together, and soon.

Andrew
    Participant

I thought the next four years after Biden took over were going to be very difficult – so I’m really not surprised. The Trump term was very disruptive; obviously the pandemic has been also.

Republicans have a good shot a winning Congress in 2022 because that’s the way the pendulum almost always swings after a new president is elected. It may really not matter what Biden does. The economy was positively booming in October 2018, Trump worked hard to motivate his base by manufacturing a fake border crisis (remember he sent the military to the Mexican border?), and look what happened: Republicans got buried in the November elections. The pendulum is hard to overcome.

I would say that Democrats still need to learn the hard lesson of what motivates voters. It’s not really “facts” and “accomplishments.” They seem to think that if you just give voters enough facts and figures, that will persuade them: we have this new program that will add X many jobs and invest Y-million dollars in infrastructure…that just resonates with no one. For better or worse, they are motivated by anger and fear. I’d like to see Biden more angry, on behalf of the voters. This was Obama’s mistake: he never got angry enough at the bankers after the 2008 great recession. Biden should get angry at whatever is causing inflation – that’s what people are worried about at this moment.

Maybe Biden needs to figure out some version of FDR’s fireside chats. I don’t know how you do that in 2021 – but start talking directly to the voters in an honest way: hey, the pandemic has been stressful, it’s caused a lot of problems, here’s what we’re doing about it, etc.

paulwalker
    Participant

Biden is a place holder. He has no charisma and little chance of being re-elected. The dems need a new star. Who? I have no idea. Hopefully they will figure it out by 2023.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Biden is damage control. He’s no “star” and that never was his intent. Think back on Jimmy Carter. What was Jimmy Carter? Carter was a “damage control” president after eight years of Nixon/Ford and Watergate. Today he’s more widely known for his humanitarian work than anything he may have done when in office.

Biden is a damage control president coming down from four years of the most corrupt administration in American history so far. Will he be reelected in ’23? Neither you or I know (hell, he could very well kick off tonight for all anybody knows; any of us could actually) and predicting the outcome at this point is naive and foolish.

Positive mind model? Please tell me how to get there, because I am not.

Reread the entire second paragraph of my earlier post, especialy its second sentence, instead of just glossing over it. Once you make that very simple change in your life, you will be amazed at how your stress level decreases and you re/build the ability to think critically. Do that, and you will almost instantly start to realise a more positive, less jaded outlook on life.

Be at peace with yourself.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I’m going with “in prison for treason, exiled or dead by ’23” and recent events about those documents supports that. “The President is not king and the plaintiff is not the President” You should anticipate the Appeals Court upholding the Judge’s decision and the SCOTUS won’t even hear the case. I think many of us already know drumpf is done.

As far as Congressional power, it’s way too early to be making conclusions about the outcome a year or three into the future. Far too early. In fact, the next really significant indicator I’ll be watching is the price of goods; mostly food, gas, medicine and health care. Are they close to or at the peak price during this inflation wave? We’ll have to wait and see.

People voting their wallet next year at this time will be the first real political litmus test.

Criticize Biden all you want, but he’s attacked Covid-19 and if he runs again, he will reap some kind of benefit from taking the biggest drumpfian disaster and turning it around and guiding it towards endemic levels, which should be almost a certainty in everywhere but Texas and Florida as they continue to compete in the Moron State sweepstakes. Not only that, but he did put through the Rescue Plan and will be signing the BIF bill into law next week. Once that money starts to flow, people will be seeing the new jobs and blue collar work in general will start to go up drastically. That triggers a whole chain of events that drive the economic engine to profitability. The progressive media will report on it. Unfortunately, the right wing media will not be reporting on it. That is a big problem, but not insurmaountable.

Yes, I agree it’s all about patience.

paulwalker
    Participant

Nosignal…okie dokie…thank you for your armchair therapy. Seriously, you don’t know me well enough to offer any recommendations to me. Being at peace with yourself? Being hyper critical of others shows who is really not at peace with themselves.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Okie dokie, boomer. Always glad to help you help yourself.

#letsgodaniel

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I won’t vote for Kamala, Biden or Trump in 2024. That pretty much leaves writing in Clint Eastwood as the best way to go.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

TBH, I probably wouldn’t vote for Harris either. Last debate, she kind of came off (to me) as having the melodramatic, emotionally unstable personality of a soap actress. I applaud (shit, I celebrate) the idea and the fact of a woman president or VP, but this particular one just ain’t it. Sorry. Unless it came down to her vs. the ODS, where the very future of America would be in extreme jeopardy.

Could have been worse, I guess. Biden could have picked the Wasilla Hillbilly…..

Andrew
    Participant

Eisenhower was not charismatic either and somehow managed to get re-elected despite poor health – the man had a serious heart attack in 1955 (when that was a lot scarier than it is today) and was still re-elected in 1956.

I have no idea if Biden will be re-elected or even run again. Neither do you. Look at all the wildly off-the-mark predictions made in 2020 about Biden having to drop out or being challenged for the nomination, let alone having little chance to beat Trump. All completely wrong. You’re all doing the same thing now. This is year one of his presidency – a lot could change in the next three years that is completely unpredictable. Who predicted in 2019 that a global pandemic in 2020 would upend everything? It could be a whole different world by 2024.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.