U.S. won't file charges against George Zimmerman in Trayvon Martin death

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things U.S. won't file charges against George Zimmerman in Trayvon Martin death

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    itsvern
    Participant
    Vitalogy
    Participant

This has no bearing on the fact that Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Martin. He just got away with it.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yes. And the law as it currently stands in Florida allows that to happen.

Reform is needed. There will be more incidents like this with similar outcomes.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Unfortunately the justice system isn’t perfect. OJ got away with it too….

Listener_Pete
    Participant

This has no bearing on the fact that Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Martin.

I would like to believe that, however Zimmerman shot him in self-defense. Trayvon (who wasn’t little boy you seen pictured) was on top of Zimmerman banging his head on the sidewalk. I believe that if Zimmerman didn’t that fucking gun he wouldn’t have come close to him.

edselehr
    Participant

We don’t know all of what happened that night, Pete. Some things we do know is that Zimmerman initiated the confrontation, and Zimmerman came to the confrontation armed while Martin did not. For me, that tilts responsibility for the death of Martin towards Zimmerman.

missing_kskd
    Participant

“Sir, we don’t need you to do that.”

The part I find unjust is the type of defense allowed.

The loop hole in the law where one party is dead, coupled with the stand your ground as written makes perfect crimes possible.

I equate this to a software bug found through testing.

It needs to be fixed.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Was this even “stand your ground”? Being beaten with the possibility of the aggressor getting the gun is just common sense self defense.

duxrule
    Participant

Or, Zimmerman could have followed the directions of the 911 dispatcher and stayed in his truck, waiting for the police to arrive. “Sir, we don’t need you to do that.” George Zimmerman put himself in harm’s way.

jerry1949
    Spectator

So? That’s not a binding order of any kind. He didn’t break the law by not listening to the advice of someone on the phone. What’s the relevance? Because he didn’t listen to him that means he’s guilty? The jury didn’t think so.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Zimmerman started it.

You don’t start an altercation and then get to claim self defense.

End of story.

Any pro-life person understands this.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Then you don’t know the law.

You CAN start an argument and be at fault for instigating the altercation, and it can still escalate to a point where you are justified in using lethal force to defend yourself.

Vitalogy
    Participant

So I can come up and punch you in the face becuase you cut me off in line at Starbucks, and when you hit me back, I can pull out my gun and snuff your life out in self defense? Is that what you’re advocating?

You don’t start a fight and then get to claim self defense. The claim of self defense would be Trayvon’s to make. If he were still alive, that is.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

Trayvon Martin confronted George Zimmerman it wasn’t the other way as most believe.

missing_kskd
    Participant

“SIR, WE DON’T NEED YOU TO DO THAT.”

Zimmerman went looking for trouble and since Martin is dead, nobody really knows how Zimmerman presented himself to Martin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.