TV Viewing Habits & the Cultural Divide

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things TV Viewing Habits & the Cultural Divide

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

The New York Times recently published an analysis of the popularity of 50 television shows (based on how frequently they are “liked” on social media sites). The article is here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/duck-dynasty-vs-modern-family-television-maps.html?WT.mc_id=2016-KWP-AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&kwp_0=302296&kwp_4=1169511&kwp_1=532257&_r=0

In general, the article says, tastes are divided among urban centers, rural areas, and “the extended Black belt,” which primarily encompasses the South.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Teen Mom is most popular in Kentucky.

I’ll just let that stand on it’s own.

paulwalker
    Participant

Interesting stuff here. “Bones” seems to win the Northwest.

One of the few pop culture shows that I like is “Catfish” on MTV. I know I am not in the demo, but I do find it to be a very craftily produced show that is thoughtful and provocative. It also glimpses into the human psyche like few other shows have done in recent years. It somewhat serves as a travelogue, certainly not to PBS standards, but does go out of the way to show viewers different parts of the country. I kinda like that.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was somewhat surprised to see the strong popularity of Law & Order SVU in the Black Belt. Perhaps, that is because the show stars Ice-T in the role of Finn. I am more surprised that the show is not that popular in the Western states (I like the surprise endings of Law & Order episodes).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.