TV Huckster Rev. Dollar. (Even his name sounds crooked)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things TV Huckster Rev. Dollar. (Even his name sounds crooked)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    skeptical
    Participant

Compiled from wiki:

Creflo Dollar’s Georgia location is a $18 million 8,500-seat facility known as the World Dome. In October 2012, Creflo Dollar Ministries purchased Loews Paradise Theater, in The Bronx for a new Church location in New York.

He has long been criticized for living a lavish lifestyle; he owns two Rolls-Royces, a private jet, and real estate such as a million-dollar home in Atlanta, a $2.5 million home in Demarest, New Jersey, and a $2.5 million home in Manhattan, which he sold for $3.75 million in 2012. Dollar has refused to disclose his salary and Creflo Dollar Ministries received a grade of “F” for financial transparency.

On 24 November 2014 Dollar’s private jet, N103CD ran off the runway at Biggin Hill, UK, nobody was seriously hurt in the incident.

On November 6, 2007, United States Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, as Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, began an investigation of several ministries, including Dollar’s. Grassley asked for financial information to determine whether Dollar made any personal profit from financial donations and requested that Dollar’s ministry make the information available by December 6, 2007.

Dollar contested the probe, arguing that the proper governmental entity to examine religious groups is the IRS, not the Committee on Finance.

———-

Is he doing God’s work?

If not, what are YOU, a non-Dollar Christian, doing about this?

BTW, here’s a photo of his jet:

stevethedj
    Participant

There is also a guy, Rev. Ike. who is a profit for Jesus.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Sure he’s a huckster using Christianity as a self improvement and get rich course. What are we supposed to do about it? He’s not one of us, and is under no authority.

Brianl
    Participant

Call the outrage for what it is, F&B. That is precisely what you should do.

Broadway
    Participant

Another Christian behaving badly…there out there…but more…many more are behind the scenes helping the needy in their cities and neighborhoods daily with no glory or reward except in eternity…true Christianity.
    Just don’t support the Dollar!

Brianl
    Participant

You’re absolutely right, Broadway. But it is chumps like this that defecate on Christianity for everyone.

Broadway
    Participant

>>defecate on Christianity
    no mess on me, this is not the first nor last TV preacher behaving badly…most of society doesn’t go near Christian television anyways. I stay focused on my calling and opportunities God gives me including messing with ya’ll here–:)

QPatrickEdwards
    Participant

It is easy to write this off and just say “Don’t support the [Creflo] Dollar,” or “Society doesn’t go near Christian television anyways,” but that attitude simply doesn’t wash. Yes, society in general doesn’t watch much of that type of programming, but there are many eyes from all around that scrutinize every excess, every outlandish “word of knowledge,” every fake healing, and many other appalling displays of unbiblical, unethical and un-Christian behaviour. I spend a lot of time railing on stuff like this(probably more than I should), more time than I do railing on the behaviour of the sins of the non-Christian world, because we need to be policing ourselves. If we can’t behave ourselves, how are we to minister “a better way” to the world at large?

Much of what we see in the audacious display of wealth in the world of the “Celebrity Preacher” is a direct result of what they believe, that is a core tenet of their “gospel”, that God promises health, wealth and prosperity. This is simply a materialistic belief, one that has absolutely no resemblance to the teaching of Jesus or the Apostles. What many of them teach is foreign to the gospel of traditional Christianity (and Scripture). The true Gospel speaks of surrender and service to Christ, we as Christians are subject to God. The “gospel” of many who parade on “Christian” television is about a God being subject to man, what some call the “genie in a bottle God,” a God who is simply there to bless you and provide for your every materialistic whim. One prominent pastor compared this belief system to the belief system of the “cargo cults” of the South Pacific Islands after World War II.

While it is not particularly wrong to have a private jet or a big house, those of us who are involved in ministry have to be prudent, as we are called to be “above reproach.” Some form of austerity (not greedy for gain or even showing the appearance of being so) needs to be applied. Austerity is usually forced on most ministers, as the pay in a small church isn’t that particularly good.(Many pastors that I know in some small churches get very little to no pay and work full time jobs to support themselves. This was the norm in first century Christianity as well.)

The main problem with those who parade around like Mr. Dollar and his ilk (I refuse to call him reverend, there isn’t much reverent about him) is that to the world at large they appear to be taking advantage of those who they are supposed to shepherd. Many who support ministries like his are those of little means who are led to believe that their “tenfold” or whatever blessing is “just around the corner” if they just contribute a seed of “x amount of dollars.”

My wife’s great-grandmother was nearly a shut in and a devotee of TBN in her later years. She had served and loved Jesus Christ for most of her adult life and couldn’t attend church because of her failing health. After she died and when her daughter was going through her stuff, she found boxes and boxes of the “trinkets” that were offered by TBN and the various ministries “for a love offering of x amount.” They also found approximately $12,000 in credit card debt, with most of the debt incurred by sending money to TBN and the ministries that aired on their network. I consider this at the very least, unethical and at the most nearly a crime.

This is an issue that all of us who call ourselves Christian should rebuke and reject. I have no qualms with Brian’s statement that these types “defecate on Christianity,” because that is a true statement.(I may even use that in my Sunday School class, in future, with your permission, Brian.)

BTW, I just saw the “Your grandma’s broke!” tag after I typed out the paragraph about my wife’s great-grandmother…sadly appropriate.

stevethedj
    Participant

As the old gospel song goes,. If you have Jesus. Their is more wealth in your soul. Than acers of diamonds and mountains of gold.

Vitalogy
    Participant

There’s a sucker born every minute, and two to take him.

Always has, always will.

It’s just too bad that in this day and age of the Internets that suckers keep being suckers.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Let’s not forget the “reverend” Jackson, the biggest huckster of them all.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Okie Dokie

Broadway
    Participant

>>many other appalling displays of unbiblical, unethical and un-Christian behaviour

OPatrick, sorry about your wife’s great-grandmother and encumbrance the family incurred. My Mom now 81 has moderate dementia but still lives at home and is able to take care of herself ok with family helps. She does continually watch a certain Christian TV channel which bugs the rest of the family but she says she will never write them out a check. About a year ago she allowed me to be joint on her checking/savings so I can check on stray expenditures online….she does have some savings that could be taken advantage of…gotta watch other family members regarding this issue.

NoParty
    Participant

This here says it all about this POS.

a $2.5 million home in Demarest, New Jersey

Have you been to Demarest? Have you been to New Jersey? OUCH!

skeptical
    Participant

Most excellent post by qpatrick. Wise Christians will not find any disagreement with his comments.

More Christians ought to step up and make this their primary mission for God/Jesus. Some help the poor, others steer hucksters into the poorhouse.

For the forum nitwit who said “what are we supposed to do about this”: Your hypocricy stinks up the entire forum. You know it’s bogus. You know God didn’t want this. But you stand by watch it happens and mutter “so what?”. Should agnostic or atheist people, or God forbid, the government, step in, you’ll become unglued. I suppose the upside to your response is that you unwittingly admitted to being the cause of the Rev. Dollars in the world.

To the persons that mentioned suckers — these are not the people I’m talking about. It’s the elderly, disabled and older disenfranchised people. Isolated, lonely, and most importantly, signs of dementia — these people number in the millions. Giving away money is one of the first signs of dementia — not the last.

I happen to have an inside with long term care facility admins and I can tell you, more than a few residents are tuned into TBC. They’re an over-the-air broadcaster with 5 CHANNELS! For Rev. Dollar, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.