TV Digitnet Changes For 2021

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

So far so good. It is nice to see Portland stations we will probably never see out here.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I went through the channels and the main ones seem to be fine, KATU/KOIN/KGW/KOPB/KPTV/KPXG/KNMT/KUNP/KPDX. Apparently KWVT is included, but 17.1 seems to be the programming on 27.1 where there are three copies of that. 27.1 is listed as AMG, yet I am getting the feed for 17.1 which was running some Church service from Dallas OR. There is a Youtoo listed, but I cannot find it in the online guide, but what I am getting is another copy on AMG. They just started up in Portland, so I hope they get the channels straightened out. It would be nice to get the correct feeds on KWVT including RTV. I’ll give them some time and see how it goes. I can contact them. Since I cannot get KWVT OTA here, I have no idea if they are running what the guide states.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Apparently KWVT is included, but 17.1 seems to be the programming on 27.1 where there are three copies of that. 27.1 is listed as AMG, yet I am getting the feed for 17.1 which was running some Church service from Dallas OR. There is a Youtoo listed, but I cannot find it in the online guide, but what I am getting is another copy on AMG.

Quite interesting, perhaps there’s a configuration issue or something else to be figured out. The mention of buffering and pixelating when trying to watch sports is quite interesting as how Locast claims it was founded, but I’ve heard of other streaming services with broadcast channels having similar issues and/or said programming blacked-out entirely.

Also, in attempt to help someone I know that’s unfortunately what another site would call a “choosing beggar”, I know this would help them view channels they claim they can’t receive on their TV but will balk at Locast’s donation requests, so does anybody know if those regularly interrupt programming and/or increase with usage of the service until the $5.50/mo. is paid? I agree it’s a bargain-basement price equivalent to about half an hour of minimum-wage labor in either Oregon or Washington State for what’s essentially equivalent to limited basic cable service; unfortunately that view isn’t held by 100% of the US adult population.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Every area should have some way to get the local stations. Locast is a great idea as translators do not cover everywhere and they do not carry all stations. Cable/satellite is expensive just to get locals. I hope Locast is able to stay around. They do have a lot of power now covering half of the population and even have the support of AT&T and others.

yahmit
    Participant

KSLM 27.1 used to carry RTV, but dropped it several years ago for AMG-TV. According to an earlier post, KJWY-LD in Salem is going to be affiliated with a cluster of networks https://www.getafteritmedia.com/
    and one of them is RTV. They may pick it up, however I don’t believe the station is broadcasting yet. I noticed that channel 20 KOXI isn’t on Locast.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the update. Who runs Youtoo TV? No call letters or channel position is listed?

yahmit
    Participant

KWVT 17-1 in Salem carries Youtoo and rebroadcasts it across their other towers.

mwdxer1
    Participant

If I understand it, 17.1 in Youtoo and 27.1 is AMG. Is 37.1 Azteca then?

msndrspdx
    Participant

27.1 is KSLM and 37.1 is KPWC (RabbitEars doesn’t list the KPWC callsign for some reason). Comcast carries 17.1 and 37.1 but not 27.1. By the way, Tegna has just announced the formation of a new sub channel called Twist, aimed at women, which is scheduled to start in July. RabbitEars is already listing several stations that are planning to carry it, but nothing yet from KGW/KGWZ. And Ion/Scripps has announced plans for two new sub channels scheduled for startup in July. Assuming they don’t move Telemundo from its current KPXG 22.7 spot, the two newcomers would probably be on 22.8 and 22.9.

chessyduck
    Participant

The press release is here;

https://news.locast.org/locast-brings-free-local-tv-streaming-service-to-portland-oregon/

(I guess if you live in Corvallis or Enterprise you’re out of luck.)

“…Locast is accessible to viewers in 27 counties in the Portland DMA including Baker, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Crook, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Sherman, Tillamook, Union, Wasco, Washington, Wheeler and Yamhill. The DMA also includes the Washington counties Clark, Cowlitz, Klickitat, Skamania, and Wahkiakum.”

mwdxer1
    Participant

Cable viewers in Pacific County WA, across from me get a mixture of Seattle/Portland. On Dish/Direct, some towns like Chinook get Seattle, yet others like Long Beach get Portland. The DMA thing is kind of messed up. I presume the reason some counties in the lower valley are not listed, as they are part of the Eugene DMA, which so far Locast doesn’t have. Compared to the rest, Eugene would be way down on the list.
    I wonder if Tegna will just add a 4th channel or take one of the others off? If the contract for Bounce comes up on KOIN, I would guess 6.3 will be something else. I have been hoping they would bring back Decades. But with so many companies starting their own diginets, a lot of the others may not be on in some markets. Portland is lacking a lot of diginets available in other smaller markets.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

According to what I could find from secondhand information, Corvallis/Benton County is in the Eugene TV market, and Enterprise/Wallowa County is in the Spokane TV market.

Sites like Rabbitears claim broadcast translators bring some of the other cities in from other markets, but obviously that assumes those translators are actually on the air and someone can receive the signal. I once heard the law that covers broadcast signal retransmission and cable/satellite/internet retransmission is different, so the latter can only offer the one set of channels from that TV market.

newshound
    Participant

I live in Corvallis. We are technically in the Eugene market. KEZI actually sends a reporter up here on occasion.

There are translators for KATU, KGW and KPTV located near Lebanon that are considered to be Albany or Corvallis translators. The KGW and KPTV translators cover a fairly broad area (Lebanon, Albany, Corvallis, Monroe, Junction City, Monmouth/Independence somewhat, and even potentially parts of northwest Eugene, weakly, per RabbitEars maps). The KATU translator (broadcast channel 8) has a much tighter pattern targeted at Corvallis to avoid hitting the KGW main signal. It misses much of Albany. I live on the north end of Corvallis and don’t have great line of sight to the translators. I get KPTV from an antenna in my attic and KATU from a different antenna on my roof, but can’t find a single spot where I can get both and haven’t been able to find KGW anywhere (but have confirmed that the signal exists elsewhere in town). If someone has any ideas how I might be able to get KGW, I’d love to experiment. Hills block my direct view, so I’m not sure if there is a particular antenna that might help make a difference.

For whatever reason, we don’t have a KOIN translator; I don’t know why. As of last year, there is a bit of KOIN news available in this area on KRCW via the KATU translator.

There is also a translator for KLSR (Eugene FOX) that directly targets Corvallis. It is located on the same mountain as KOAC.

The idea of these media markets interests me. Sometimes they make sense, sometimes they don’t. People in North Albany (in Benton County) are in the Eugene market, while people just across the river in Albany proper are in the Portland market. Harrisburg — 15-20 minutes from North Eugene — is in the Portland market by virtue of being in Linn County.

Oregon has bits and pieces in six markets — primarily Portland, Eugene and Medford, but also Malheur County in the Boise market, the northeast corner in the Spokane market, and a county or two in the Central Washington media market.

Here in Corvallis we get Eugene stations on satellite. Comcast offers primarily Eugene stations but also KATU and KGW. KOIN was removed a few years ago. KPTV is not available. Albany gets primarily Portland stations on Comcast but also gets the main Eugene stations (KEZI, KMTR and KVAL.) I don’t think KLSR is on Comcast in Albany, but, given its location, most of Albany could easily pick up the Corvallis KLSR translator over the air if they wanted to.

DarkStar
    Participant

If someone has any ideas how I might be able to get KGW, I’d love to experiment.

We recommend using the RabbitEars.info Signal Search Map for trying to figure out what stations you’ll be able to receive and where they are transmitting from.

Hopefully that can help you find what you’re looking for!

newshound
    Participant

Thanks DarkStar. From my house, I receive K20DD (KPTV translator), which the Rabbit Ears map projects at 61.65 dBuV/M and 22.29 dB — fair. I can’t find anywhere that I can get K20DD (KGW translator), which Rabbit Ears shows as 61.19/22.25–fair. And I get K08PZ (KATU translator) at another part of the roof with a different antenna, which Rabbit Ears shows at 51.18/15.18–poor. So I can get KPTV and KATU but not KGW, even though they all broadcast from the same spot. I guess I just live in a fluky spot, because nothing I have tried works. The KATU and KPTV signals I get are a bit weak and fade out at times — there is a hill between me and the tower.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.