Delete

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    radiogeek
    Participant

I’ve got machines I maintain on Win98SE, XP, 10, Linux, and what drives me the most crazy is when Microsoft decides to re-name a basic function and put it somewhere where I can’t find it.

If the security firms and software developers weren’t in league with MS, then I’d have been very happy to stay with Windows 7. So, computers that see the internet have Win10, and I keep several networks and stand alone machines with old OS but not online.

Andrew
    Participant

I don’t use Windows very often – I use Ubuntu Linux on almost everything. This laptop I’m using now is stuck on Ubuntu 14.04 (no longer supported) – can’t upgrade directly, some package I installed is blocking it and I gave up trying to figure out what. As long as I can update the browsers (still can) occasionally I’m still OK with it. Other laptop has Ubuntu 20.04 on it.

I have some photo software flow stuff on the 14.04 machine I need to port over to 20.04 – once I do that I’ll finally dump this 14.04 installation, just copy over the image of 20.04 from the other laptop. I use an ancient piece of software for Windows called BreezeBrowser to view/organize photos and I have to use Wine in Linux to run it. It is picky – have to get the Wine settings just right on a new installation or it won’t work. I should probably move on to something else besides BreezeBrowser, but I have my whole flow figured out and don’t feel like starting over.

For Windows, I mostly use it in virtual machines. I have W7 in a virtual machine. This year I finally did my taxes without H&R Block for the first time in 15 years so I didn’t even need to boot up W7 in the VM. I have a W10 install on a Dell desktop a client gave me so I use that for occasional troubleshooting of Windows issues people have. But I don’t use Windows for anything myself anymore.

Andrew
    Participant

I will say that I’m OK with Windows 10 these days even if I don’t use it myself. When I do, I find it much less stressful than Windows 8 was (ugh!). And they have a Linux kernel built in now!!!

I had a great experience recently porting the hard drive from a dead HP laptop into a Lenovo laptop for someone. In the old days, in the Windows 7 era, trying to boot a Windows install on other hardware usually resulted in a BSOD – maybe you could tweak it with some work but it was a PITA. This time, I was shocked that I could boot the HP W10 install on the Dell desktop(!) and then also in the Lenovo laptop, without doing anything!!! Wow, I was shocked. It even BIOS-activated automatically. Kudos to Microsoft – they have finally fixed some of my biggest annoyances with Windows.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Typing to you now on Windows XP (NT 5.1). Lots I can’t do, but for basic surfing, audio streaming and posting on PDXRadio here in the garage as I work on my classic cars, it’s fine.

No shit. I actually JUST put 5.1 on a machine less than a week ago, and on a new build, yet, with (mostly) modern hardware. (Pro SP3, dual-booting with Debian.) It’s slated to be a new audio processing machine and potentially a DVB receiver. It is functional but the machine itself is still incomplete. Even considering the 4-gigabyte addressable RAM limit on a 32-bit architecture it’s actually reasonably lightweight on today’s hardware, especially on multi-terabyte hard drives. The default Bozo-the-Clown “Luna” UI is still like hauling a fifthwheel with a Tesla, but converting to the lightweight “classic” 9x-esque GDI theme (and speeding it up considerably) is trivial.

It’s still a viable platform and certainly more usable than NT 6+, though I don’t know if I’d be crazy about putting it on the network these days.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.