Delete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Delete

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Good thinking Paul! Most sensible post for a number of days on the forum.

Broadway
    Participant

In editing audio seems like the delete key is used most often:-)

paulwalker
    Participant

Haha. A few years ago I set a rule for myself to always go back to a post I wrote on sites like this after 20 minutes so I could change my mind, or atleast edit. Thus this thread!

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

A:\>deltree c:\windows
    Delete directory “c:\windows” and all its subdirectories? [yn] y
    Deleting c:\windows…

A:\>_

Vitalogy
    Participant

I find the initial thought is usually the most truthful thought.

paulwalker
    Participant

You are probably right Vit. Most honest, but not always the best response, but that is just me.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When I was in the fourth grade, my class took a field trip to the local library. One of my classmates, Jason, became bored with the activity and uttered, “this is garbage.” Embarrassed, the teacher pulled Jason aside and said, “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it.” The lesson I learned that day was, don’t be Jason.

radiogeek
    Participant

The trick is finding the balance, when to speak out and when to hold back.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.

Of course, these are extraordinary times, the stakes have never been higher for many decades. That makes rhetoric that would have been unacceptable commonplace, and frankly at times necessary.

At some point, a child will state the obvious, that the Emperor has no clothes. Why do we have to wait for this child? I hope the child doesn’t get deleted.

Ed

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

A:\>deltree c:\windows

I know someone who did this. Then she wanted me to fix her computer.

radiogeek
    Participant

I still do daily maintenance routines on some office data with DOS batchfiles.

Ah, the good old days.

Sure wish more app developers would respect Linux.

Ed

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

The documentation said “requires Windoze 8 or better”, so I converted to Linux.

I know someone who did this. Then she wanted me to fix her computer.

I’ve had to do it TO fix computers! Just before retiring it I fought with a Toshiba laptop with a flaky-ass BIOS that was constantly corrupting 98 installations in its last few months or so. Deltree windows, reload from image/turdball, rinse, repeat, etc…

There was a time when I was servicing a network-facing Winblows was doing it once a week for a couple years. It was the frontend of a music automation system and would usually be full of crapware by the time Saturday came round. Image was of a fresh (heavily customised) XP/SP3 Pro install with all necessary software, FAT32 partitions with a custom MeSsy-DOS 7.0 installation (can you tell this was a while ago?) so I’d just go wipety-wipe and slap the image onto the drive, and be back up for another week in a couple hours. That fucking box had NO repeat NO actual security whatsoever (they just plugged it into the ethernet and let it sit on the Internet, carte blanche) and the operator insisted on keeping services on. Not my system or my place to tell them how to run it (as I was sternly reminded many a time), but hey, money’s money and I’ll take it any way I can get it from you.

radiogeek
    Participant

On an somewhat related note, I’m fearing when the “May Feature Update” to Windows 10 becomes mandatory. It’s already been pushed back months, and frankly … I need an operating system with fewer features and less bloat not more.

I can’t stand that the only way you can search your own system for files or software is using Edge. What a piece of crap. I tried disabling Edge but then couldn’t find anything on my own hard drive.

Shudder …

Ed

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I had predicted some years ago that NT 6.2/6.3 (a.k.a. 8 a.k.a. Windows Special Redmondites-Can’t-Count Edition) would be the beginning of the end of Winsux. Looks like they’re steaming forwards in their self-EOL quest with 10!

Honestly, if you still have 6.1 (a.k.a. 7) then hang onto it for dear life.

edselehr
    Participant

Typing to you now on Windows XP (NT 5.1). Lots I can’t do, but for basic surfing, audio streaming and posting on PDXRadio here in the garage as I work on my classic cars, it’s fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.