Trump's acceptance speech to emulate Nixon and his failures

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Trump's acceptance speech to emulate Nixon and his failures

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

donald already has alluded to the theme on opening night. Of course, choosing the most flawed and wholly defective President in the country’s history to base his speech and general election campaign may surprise some. Mr. Trump sees the path to victory this fall as the exploitation of the country’s anxieties about race, its fears of terrorism and its mood of disaffection, especially among white, working-class Americans. I guess no one has told them that there just aren’t going to be enough angry, old, fat, misogynistic, racist homophobic white men to win outside the GOP gerrymandered undereducated solid red states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/us/politics/donald-trump-portrayed-as-an-heir-to-richard-nixon.html

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Doubling down on irrational fear and ignorance. It’s, literally, all they’ve got.

It’s not at all irrational to fear a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Amus
    Participant

Why?
    Please show your work.

I fear she will appoint more liberal judges to the Supreme Court, from which our country will never recover.

I want justices like Scalia and Thomas. What are the possibilities of that happening under Clinton?

paulwalker
    Participant

There may be some comparisons to Nixon in ’68, but there are far more differences.

First, in ’68, the country was perhaps in the most strife in recent history. MLK and RFK had both recently been assassinated. The Veit Nam War was escalating. The generation gap was huge. Nixon took advantage of all this with a “silent majority” argument, which ultimately worked to allow him to attain the Presidency, though it was a close election.

Today, however, is a different scene. The mostly Hispanic and other minority populations of the country would likely not allow a Nixon type to win. Especially after 8 years of Obama. And Trump can’t provide it either.

Add on the fact that Trump is, IMO, not very intelligent when it comes to knowledge of the world. Nixon actually was smart and could articulate his arguments. Trump operates in a world of under 100 IQ’s where soundbites matter, and his complete lack of detail about his objectives stand out like a sore thumb.

He could indeed take on Nixon’s concepts, but it won’t work in 2016.

Amus
    Participant

I fear she will appoint more liberal judges to the Supreme Court, from which our country will never recover.

In other words you want you’re religious precepts enforced on those who do not ascribe to them by codifying them into law.

And yes. She absolutely will appoint more liberal judges to prevent that.

I want justices like Scalia and Thomas. What are the possibilities of that happening under Clinton?

Nil.
    And that’s a damn good thing!

Langston
    Participant

When Ginsburg retires I hope Hillary appoints Obama.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Trump may cause a nuclear war.

But at least we can continue to try and stop women from making choices about their own bodies and healthcare.

Got it.

“In other words you want you’re religious precepts enforced on those who do not ascribe to them by codifying them into law.”

Certainly not. Nobody should be forced by law to go to Mass, confess their sins to a priest, or have their children baptized. That’s a matter of individual choice.

But I would like common sense and compassion to be codified in a way that allows for human organisms which have beating hearts and brain waves to be safe and protected. That’s something even an atheist could (or should) agree to.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Wrong. As usual.

One dick (should) = no vote on this issue.

Women would like you to keep your religious zealotry out of their uterus.

I suspect that’s not all women would rather you keep to yourself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.